The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Portable waistband amplifier (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Harry the Clown
View Profile
Regular user
148 Posts

Profile of Harry the Clown
I am looking at buying a "big voice portable waistband amplifier".(waistband amplifier)
http://www.hocus-pocus.com has one for sale! Is this model OK?

There are different models out there, can you please put me on to a good one with great sound for what it can do!
Thanks heaps!
Dan McLean Jr aka, Magic Roadie
View Profile
Special user
Toronto, Canada
793 Posts

Profile of Dan McLean Jr aka, Magic Roadie
Hi, Harry!
Bear in mind that a speaker is kinda like a flashlight, in that only the people who see it will be able to hear it effectively. The less they can see it, the less intelligible your voice will be. If you turn to the side, even a little bit, some of your audience will no longer hear what you're saying because the speaker will longer be directed at them. Since the speaker is on your waist, instead of on tripod stands (above the heads of the audience), people don't have to be very far away from you in order to not be able to see it.

It will also depend upon the type of mic you're using. A lav mic will not be able to go very loud without feedback. A tiny headset will be able to go slightly louder without feedback. A full-size headset will offer the most loudness without feedback, but all of the things in the previous paragraph still apply.

Because of their directionality and low power, these are really intended for use in small classrooms, and the teacher must be facing forward whenever they're speaking. If it'll work for you, though, it certainly is cost-effective!

Good luck!
Dan McLean Jr
www.MagicRoadie.com
"Taking the mystery out of stage technology!"
Harry the Clown
View Profile
Regular user
148 Posts

I did see a lady use a waistband amplifier as a tour guide lately. And I was impressed!
Her voice was heard just above the noise of the surounds and I think it could be good at Home Birthday parties when you don't want to use a PA system. It didn't sound tinny and in a small group setting a waistband amplifier could be useful.

Love to know the best make and model to buy!!! Thanks for your help.
Neznarf
View Profile
Inner circle
NY then AZ now
1812 Posts

Profile of Neznarf
James Wand was selling them.
"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning how to dance in the rain."
RicHeka
View Profile
Inner circle
3999 Posts

Profile of RicHeka
I have used this quality product for at least 5 years...for BD's and other small events Including walk around at noisy events[indoor or outdoor].[it's good for groups up to about 30].After about 4 hrs.of use... just charge it up and you are ready to go again.Love it!It has NEVER failed me.

It clips onto your belt at the small of your back[or in the front],and because it is flat...it wont have a telltale bulge..and it is still powerful enough to be heard!

I bought this after trying several others that were dissappointing.I have never looked back.

Highly reccommended.

PS.I am still using the original Batteries!

http://salestores.com/capacopepsy5.html

Best.
Rich
Harry the Clown
View Profile
Regular user
148 Posts

Thanks a million for your info Rich!!!
Will look into it!!!!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Portable waistband amplifier (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL