The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Ultimate Three Fly (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
viris
View Profile
Regular user
106 Posts

Profile of viris
Cant you perform U3F with the gaffs from CFWM?
And do you guys think that half dollar sized coins are to small to use for this?

CFWM comes in dollars and halves and you can do U3F with CFWM.
jordanl
View Profile
Veteran user
325 Posts

Profile of jordanl
Quote:
On 2007-09-24 03:32, viris wrote:
Cant you perform U3F with the gaffs from CFWM?
And do you guys think that half dollar sized coins are to small to use for this?

CFWM comes in dollars and halves and you can do U3F with CFWM.

Yes you can. The effect looks better with Dollars, they stand out more. And the size and weight of the coin make some moves work better.
Jeffrey Cowan
View Profile
Regular user
Los Angeles, CA
130 Posts

Profile of Jeffrey Cowan
Returning to the original question:

my experience with 3Fly is that it's critical the audience be satisfied that the coins are legit. For that reason, I find U3F much better than CFWM even though the latter has some lovely visual moments. Note also that Bob Kohler is planning on releasing a new version of U3F with a DVD containing touches and handlings previously unreleased. They're good. Very good. . .
viris
View Profile
Regular user
106 Posts

Profile of viris
3 things: 1-I like the halves better for 2 reasons, they are easier to handle and they are more recognizable than dollars that were made almost 100 years ago just my opinion. 2-You can do both routines with CFWM. 3-Cost, last time I checked a U3F went for $555 on e-bay so start saving your pennies.Smile
jamie9
View Profile
Loyal user
211 Posts

Profile of jamie9
So then CFWM would be a beter deal cause you get more gaffs?
Is CFWM very practicle for walk around?
And does it come in silver halfs or regular?

I cant decide wether to get this or just wait till U3F2 comes out.
korttihai_82
View Profile
Inner circle
Finland
1880 Posts

Profile of korttihai_82
Quote:
On 2007-09-24 19:34, viris wrote:
3 things: 1-I like the halves better for 2 reasons, they are easier to handle and they are more recognizable than dollars that were made almost 100 years ago just my opinion.

And no one can see the darn coins cos they are so small Smile

J-M
viris
View Profile
Regular user
106 Posts

Profile of viris
[quote]On 2007-09-28 10:00, korttihai_82 wrote:
Quote:

And no one can see the darn coins cos they are so small Smile

J-M

That is completly false. Do you own a set? Cause every single time I have show it know one has ever said they could'nt see the coins cause there jaw is wide opened and they have that "how the hell did he do that" look on there faces.

jamie9-Yes more gaffs. As far as I know the halves only come in clad, the dollars only come in silver. I'm not sure how they do with walk around but the reset is real easy. Hope this helps.
Mano
View Profile
Inner circle
1028 Posts

Profile of Mano
I agree with J-M, one has to hlod a half dollar at the extreme finger tip for the audience to be able to see them, I personally would not do a 3 fly with halves, even if my life depend on it,well I guess am exagerating a bit,:)seriously I have seen soo many magicians that do not know how to display coins in their fingers, to show most of it,and not only when doing a 3 fly but in other routines as well, they hug the poor coins with the first 3 fingers and forget that is what the audience want to see at the magic moment or during the display.

I'm sorry I went off the tangent a bit,:)

peace.

Mano.
viris
View Profile
Regular user
106 Posts

Profile of viris
Mano, how many magicians have you seen do CFWM in halves? I know from my own experience that in fact you can see all the coins perfectly and in the routine you count off the coins if you choose to. Like I said in the past, know one has ever said they could not see the coins.
Chad Barnard
View Profile
Special user
Mt. Airy, NC
763 Posts

Profile of Chad Barnard
I haven't started by 3Fly journey so this is not my opinion.

Chris Kenner, who is credited with 3Fly, said on the COINvention DVD that people who perform 3Fly routines with halves do not get the point of the routine.

You can take this as you want because he also says that he doesn't feel it should be performed as a stand alone routine, which is how everyone does it these days.
Mano
View Profile
Inner circle
1028 Posts

Profile of Mano
Viris,
Mano, how many magicians have you seen do CFWM in halves?

NONE.

What about it?

Mano.
rannie
View Profile
Inner circle
4375 Posts

Profile of rannie
Podie,

I feel that the "3 Fly" effect can be a stand alone effect. It really depends on the performer and the presentation. Certainly what I say is not carved and etched in stone. I say this as a result of my experience doing it regularly for sometime now. I have also seen quite a number of performers do this effectively.

An example is Mano mi Hermano's version.

The problem is that most "3 Fly" lovers... do the same version. Not that the version is bad. Its just that they use the same patter, the same this and that. Worse....no patter at all. Videos on this effect is everywhere on the internet. Some do it right away after learning from a friend or some illegal download without really understanding "WHY" it works more than "How" it works.

Regarding the size of the coin.... think Chris Kenner was speaking in terms of professional work. Bigger settings. Visibility of the coins for a larger audience. I think it is relative. For close up settings such as walk around, one on one, etc.... Halves would work just fine.

Some magicians hate it..... Me?..... I love it!
"If you can't teach an old dog new tricks, trick the old dog to learn."

-Rannie Raymundo-
aka The Boss
aka The Manila Enforcer

www.rannieraymundo.com
www.tapm.proboards80.net
MickeyPainless
View Profile
Inner circle
California
6065 Posts

Profile of MickeyPainless
I don't do any of the coins across at the finger tips yet but have played with Daryl's 3F III some and where as silver dollars are harder than halves for me at this time I agree with Mano that a novice tends to grip the coins in such a way that they cover to much. I know this is the case with my handling at this point!
Mick
Chad Barnard
View Profile
Special user
Mt. Airy, NC
763 Posts

Profile of Chad Barnard
Rannie, I have to disagree.

Concerning the size of the coin, Chris was working at a restaurant when he started doing this trick, which I think halves would work fine visually, so I don't think Chris was talking about a large audience. Here's his quote:

"To me, to maximize the effect, it's a visual trick. It's about being visual at your fingertips. Why the hell would you use half-dollars? I mean, anyone that uses half dollars doesn't get it. I'm sorry. The trick should be done with Silver Dollars."

That's pretty clear to me.

On the stand alone nature here is Chris' quote: "The other thing about the trick that I don't think people realize is, for me, it's part of another trick. I was never intended to be a trick by itself. I don't think it plays well by itself."

I was just letting others know the creator's take on things. Others don't have to agree. I don't have an opinion one way or the other, since I don't do the trick yet.

I don't disagree with you that halves work or that it's a great stand alone effect. Stand alone is the only way I've seen it and I've always b3en blown away. From what Chris has said publicly, I disagree with you on what Chris intended.
viris
View Profile
Regular user
106 Posts

Profile of viris
Podcastrant, have you ever seen David Roth? That's just about all he uses is halves. No offense to Chris Kenner but he wasn't on TV with David Letterman working with dollars it was David Roth working with halves.

Mano, yes as a matter of fact I have seen someone do CFWM with halves. My son, which is the real reason I bought the set. His hands are still small. And me in the mirror and on video and reactions from "real" people that I ask after I show them, OK.
Chad Barnard
View Profile
Special user
Mt. Airy, NC
763 Posts

Profile of Chad Barnard
David Roth doesn't do 3Fly. He said so on the same DVD. He was beside Chris when Chris said all of that. Why is he being brought up?

I only use halves. I have nothing against halves.

We are talking about halves, in relation to 3Fly, nothing else.
viris
View Profile
Regular user
106 Posts

Profile of viris
Ok then if you want to stick to the topic how much experiance with CFWM in halves then cause that's really waht were talking about? All I was pointing out is that in the video I own of David Roth Stars of magic Vols. 12&13 that's all he uses. Having the set in halves I can go right into any one of those routines CSB hopping halves etc. that's all I was saying.
Chad Barnard
View Profile
Special user
Mt. Airy, NC
763 Posts

Profile of Chad Barnard
Like I said above, I don't have an opinion one way or the other since I don't do 3Fly yet. I like halves, over dollars, they fit my hand better and I do a lot of Roth stuff right now, so like you I would probably use halves in a 3Fly phase.

To quote myself above, "I was just letting others know the creator's take on things."
Mano
View Profile
Inner circle
1028 Posts

Profile of Mano
Viris,

no problem my friend.

my bad.

mano.
P.S.

Podcast,

do not forget Jonathan Townsend, to me he is the real creator of the 3 fly.
viris
View Profile
Regular user
106 Posts

Profile of viris
OH YA AND ONE MORE THING.......... Oh Ok then we kind of agree. One more thing thoses coins in your eyes are freekin' me out. Peace.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Ultimate Three Fly (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL