The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Getting Busted by a spec- your reactions ? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
paymerich
View Profile
Special user
Norwalk, CT
546 Posts

Profile of paymerich
I was at the restaurant last night performing at a table and I was wowing them real good especially the mom at the table . I was finishing up doing my version of Nate Kranzo's Voodoo Card. Quick summarry of the effect is : Spec picks and signs a card , card is "lost" , The spec sign a business card as the deck is placed in the card box . the business card is folded , the card box is opened, and Voila' the spec signed card is folded in the middle of the deck.) Right as I do the Mecury fold , my hand bumped the table ( those high bar tables) and the mom focus right on my hands right in the middle of the fold. I continue on with the trick but as I do the final reveal she mouthes to me: "I saw the card" and I gave her a conspiritorial wink. I was performing the effect for the father who pulled the cards out of the card box who was agahst. About 5 seconds later, she semi-quietly says to the husband "I will tell you later". Ugh I hate getting busted especially when you have been wowing them.
BTW not looking for advice for I know what I did wrong, just venting. Anyone else have a simialr experience.
Have a Magical Day!
<BR>
<BR>The Maniacal Mage
<BR>
<BR>Pablo Aymerich
<BR>Norwalk, CT 06851
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19632 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
It happens and my guess is you didn't really do anything wrong. Life happens and when it does venting helps.

Blow it off. I know it dosn't happen regularly to you so like you said "venting" really is the cure!
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
phillipsje
View Profile
Veteran user
329 Posts

Profile of phillipsje
This is the best place to vent.
Josh Chaikin
View Profile
Inner circle
Kansas City
1430 Posts

Profile of Josh Chaikin
I've been busted a couple of times when doing the mercury card fold, so I don't use it anymore.
Stanyon
View Profile
Inner circle
Landrum, S.C. by way of Chicago
3390 Posts

Profile of Stanyon
Quote:
On 2007-09-10 12:26, Josh Chaikin wrote:
I've been busted a couple of times when doing the mercury card fold, so I don't use it anymore.

Sounds like flight rather than fight.

Don't quit doing things you get busted on...learn to do them better!

FWIW

Cheers! Smile
Stanyon

aka Steve Taylor

"Every move a move!"

"If you've enjoyed my performance half as much as I've enjoyed performing for you, then you've enjoyed it twice as much as me!"
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19632 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Wow someone lock the thread. THAT was brilliant. Pure brilliant. FIGHT. Indeed I could not have said it better.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6112 Posts

Profile of Jaz
I've been busted quite a few times.
Sometimes I would make a joke of it or ignore it and move on.
Sometimes I just had to admit I was busted and go to the next trick.
It hurts your pride somewhat but you have to shake that off and hopefully learn from it.

There are some good lines here that I wish I knew back then.
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......6&37

In you case you did your job and for a while the husband was in awe.
Leland Stone
View Profile
Inner circle
1204 Posts

Profile of Leland Stone
Hiya, Paymerich:

[Imagine my response in a treacly, Clinton-esque drawl] "Ah feel your pain..."

Yeah, getting nailed, especially on a pet routine, stinks. Everybody here knows what it feels like, and I'll throw my $0.02 on the table: The Invisible Deck got me into Card Magic, and gave me a lot of performing fun. Until, like you, I got NAILED BAD on the method at a strolling gig. Unlike you, the observer wasn't a quiet, albeit smug, adult; my denouncer was a SEVEN YEAR OLD KID with a BIG MOUTH who BROADCAST the method to everyone within earshot. I.e., the whole da*n dining room. Smile

Others have already said it better: Blow this one off, then come back later...nail-proof.

Leland
korttihai_82
View Profile
Inner circle
Finland
1778 Posts

Profile of korttihai_82
I did 5hours close-up marathon gig on last saturday and only time I got busted on whole day was once in my AC routine. I was just getting tired and double split little and spectator noted about it so I continued the routine without doubles and fryed him totally. Sometimes its good to know alternative methods if something unexpected happens.

J-M
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
You didn't get busted. The gal saw the card and became your magic buddy for a few seconds. Busted is when she leaps to her feet and yells "I saw that card! You, sir, are a cheat and do NOT do real magic!". Things go wrong for every magician who ever walked the planet so don't let it bother you, move on.
Skip Way
View Profile
Inner circle
3771 Posts

Profile of Skip Way
Being a comedy persona, when I slip or get caught flat out red-handed with no viable way out I usually just smile, shrug and ask "What did you expect? Magic?!?" Smile Of course, by then, the spell is broken and it's time to move on. As the masters have already sagely stated...practice till it's second nature then practice some more...and when the inevitable happens every now and then, take yer lumps, figger out how to avoid that particular bump in the future and rock on!!
How you leave others feeling after an Experience with you becomes your Trademark.

Magic Youth Raleigh - RaleighMagicClub.org
SoCalPro
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern California
1597 Posts

Profile of SoCalPro
Hey Skip!!!! Great to see ya again. I didn't know this but judging by your avatar, you're like 5 foot 40. Smile

Basically, getting caught happens from time to time. It happens to the best of us. As mentioned above, the very best thing to do is just smile and move on. The more you dwell on it the worst it gets. If you just smile and move on, the audience will soon forget the blunder and will continue concentrating on the great stuff you are currently doing. Smile
Josh Chaikin
View Profile
Inner circle
Kansas City
1430 Posts

Profile of Josh Chaikin
Quote:
On 2007-09-10 12:30, Stanyon wrote:
Quote:

FWIW

Cheers! Smile

Mmmm...maybe I should elaborate on that. I've found that I got busted because of how the spectators were seated, and my positioning to them. Even if I dropped the deck low, it would still be almost on eye-level to them for the move. If we're both standing, I can execute it without getting caught. If the settings are right for the effect I want to achieve using MCF, I will go for it; however, I have many other things in my repertoire that things are being rotated around all the time.
paymerich
View Profile
Special user
Norwalk, CT
546 Posts

Profile of paymerich
I did not let it faze me too much as I did the same trick at another table just to prove to myself it was a fluke. And I proved myself right. THey had lots of fun regardless of the flub and talked about coming back next week to see me again.

So yes , let the steam blow and get back to rehearsing ( notice I did not say practice).

and yes MagicSanta it could have been worse. So I counted my blessing.
Have a Magical Day!
<BR>
<BR>The Maniacal Mage
<BR>
<BR>Pablo Aymerich
<BR>Norwalk, CT 06851
kammagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1304 Posts

Profile of kammagic
Messing up just makes you aware of possible dangers, flaws, cracks or weaknesses in your act or routine. Now when you perform the effect again it will be that much stronger.
When learning an effect the learning process never stops. No matter how well you think you have something down there are always little hairline cracks that pop up now and then.
The only way to find these cracks is to shed some light on them and that usually means an unexpected miss hap during a performance which makes you aware of them.

If you never fail you never improve. The only way to improve is to fail, learn from that failure , correct the failure and move on. Failing simply means you are about to improve or get even better then you were before the failure. If you strive for perfection you learn how valuable failure is to achieving it.

, Jonathan
SeaDawg
View Profile
Special user
The Lunatic Fringe
718 Posts

Profile of SeaDawg
I had one the other day, Very outspoken lady who obviously has some ACR vids. Probably E's...
Anyway she is verbally busting every move as I go to execute. After about 3 moves of this I switched to something she would have never seen, and blew her away. Her hubby said she had it coming....
Crazy people take the psycho-path thru the forest...
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Heck, when I saw Worlds Greatest Magicians live one of 'em was doing a guillotine (sp) and the thing did everything wrong. The top part jammed then the lower part released and the cut happened without the blade falling and this was in front of a packed house. To be honest I doubt anyone really noticed (Melinda was on stage in one of her cute outfits). When I spoke with her later I brought it up and she wasn't even aware of it. Kind of explains why that tour was a bust now that I think of it.
kammagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1304 Posts

Profile of kammagic
Quote:
On 2007-09-10 14:26, Josh Chaikin wrote:
Quote:
On 2007-09-10 12:30, Stanyon wrote:
Quote:

FWIW

Cheers! Smile

Mmmm...maybe I should elaborate on that. I've found that I got busted because of how the spectators were seated, and my positioning to them. Even if I dropped the deck low, it would still be almost on eye-level to them for the move. If we're both standing, I can execute it without getting caught. If the settings are right for the effect I want to achieve using MCF, I will go for it; however, I have many other things in my repertoire that things are being rotated around all the time.

The MCF takes less than a second to accomplish and for that reason it is easy to misdirect. Are you using misdirection? If you were using misdirection you wouldn't need to worry about angle problems. I'm curious as to how you perform the Mercury Fold. I never thought there were angle problems myself.
Once you become proficient at it the MCF can be done without misdirection. But there should be a significant time delay between the actual folding of the card and the reveal. Until you get comfortable with the MF technique I would use misdirection to help you.

, Jonathan
Josh Chaikin
View Profile
Inner circle
Kansas City
1430 Posts

Profile of Josh Chaikin
I'm not really sure. I've practiced in front of the mirror, a lot of times it gets by people, but those few times I mentioned they ask "Where'd you put the folded card?" As far as I'm aware, I'm using the standard method, at least others do it the same way I do (from the bottom of the deck).
kammagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1304 Posts

Profile of kammagic
Quote:
On 2007-09-13 00:54, Josh Chaikin wrote:
I'm not really sure. I've practiced in front of the mirror, a lot of times it gets by people, but those few times I mentioned they ask "Where'd you put the folded card?" As far as I'm aware, I'm using the standard method, at least others do it the same way I do (from the bottom of the deck).

"Where'd you put the folded card?" when do they say that and I don't get what it means?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Getting Busted by a spec- your reactions ? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL