The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Getting Busted by a spec- your reactions ? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
SoCalPro
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern California
1597 Posts

Profile of SoCalPro
Quote:
"Where'd you put the folded card?"

I get this at times as well. I just smile and think to myself, "this person probably takes an hour and a half to watch 60 minutes." Smile
kammagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1304 Posts

Profile of kammagic
Quote:
On 2007-09-13 02:39, SoCalPro wrote:
Quote:

I get this at times as well. I just smile and think to myself, "this person probably takes an hour and a half to watch 60 minutes." Smile

What is it supposed to mean? I don't understand. You have people say this as well? Do they say this when you fold the card, when you reveal the card? Please explain.
RJ Hunt
View Profile
Elite user
Lakeland, FL
466 Posts

Profile of RJ Hunt
Best to take it with a grain of salt...maybe add a little humor poking at yourself, You can point out that luck for her this wasn't brain surgry...Even the best mess up...nobody's perfect...don't let it get you down or bother you. Pick up, dust off and move on...
SoCalPro
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern California
1597 Posts

Profile of SoCalPro
Quote:
On 2007-09-13 03:11, kammagic wrote:
Quote:
Quote:

What is it supposed to mean? I don't understand. You have people say this as well? Do they say this when you fold the card, when you reveal the card? Please explain.

"What's that supposed to mean?" I do "Clipped" and I do the fold very well...right in front of them and lightning fast. I've been doing it for the past 4 years and have only been caught a few times. When a person says something like that, I think that maybe they can't comprehend the awesome thing that just happened, they just don't get it. I do this trick for 5 and 6 year old and get a great reaction so when an older person reacts that way....well........ Smile

They usually ask this right after I reveal that their signed card has been in front of them the whole time.

Did I clarify?
kammagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1304 Posts

Profile of kammagic
Quote:
On 2007-09-13 10:40, SoCalPro wrote:
Quote:
On 2007-09-13 03:11, kammagic wrote:
Quote:
Quote:

"What's that supposed to mean?" I do "Clipped" and I do the fold very well...right in front of them and lightning fast. I've been doing it for the past 4 years and have only been caught a few times. When a person says something like that, I think that maybe they can't comprehend the awesome thing that just happened, they just don't get it. I do this trick for 5 and 6 year old and get a great reaction so when an older person reacts that way....well........ Smile

They usually ask this right after I reveal that their signed card has been in front of them the whole time.

Did I clarify?

So they are catching something on the switch and not the fold right? Is this "paperclipped" where the folded card is in view the whole time then it is switched. So when they say "Where'd you put the folded card?" are they refering to the card you switched out or are they wanting to know how you hid their card the whole time.
What I am getting at is the phrase is not very specific so I don't think they are catching anything.

I am not a big fan of showing a folded card ahead of time and then having to switch that card out. I do many folded card reveals but the audience is not aware of a folded card or looking for you to fold a card until the final reveal. This I think makes a big difference in the audience seeing anything. If you have an isolated folded card that is visible the audience knows that that is going to be their card. So they are now watching for the switch and for you to fold their selected card. This is not a good situation. Sure it can be pulled off but why put the added heat on yourself. Plus you are loosing some of the surprise of the reveal. If they see the folded card ahead of time they are expecting that to be their card. Spectators are also surprised that you would destroy one of your cards by folding it up. If you show a folded up card to begin with you show them you do not have a problem destroying cards thus eliminating another part of the surprise of finding their card folded up somewhere.

Just somethings to think about if you want to eliminate spectators from busting you.
SoCalPro
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern California
1597 Posts

Profile of SoCalPro
Yes, it's "paperclipped".

So what you are saying is to pull the clip out of my pocket just before reveling it to be their card? Interesting, I'll have to try it that way and see the reactions. Thanks for the tip (there's that word again Smile).
kammagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1304 Posts

Profile of kammagic
Quote:
On 2007-09-13 16:33, SoCalPro wrote:
Yes, it's "paperclipped".

So what you are saying is to pull the clip out of my pocket just before reveling it to be their card? Interesting, I'll have to try it that way and see the reactions. Thanks for the tip (there's that word again Smile).

I was thinking more along the lines of card under watch or card to box where the folded card is a secret until the final reveal. Paperclipped is fine but if you are having problems with people seeing things it could very well be the effect itself that is making them look for those things.

I think a simple adjustment would be to try paperclipped with the card folded and clipped hiding inside the card box until the reveal. This way it is on the table the whole time but they are unaware. Plus they won't be expecting it to show up there and they won't be looking for you to fold the card.
Bobby Forbes
View Profile
Inner circle
virginia beach, VA.
1457 Posts

Profile of Bobby Forbes
Cough:TOIBOX:cough

Problem solved Smile
Lukenp
View Profile
Special user
560 Posts

Profile of Lukenp
LOL
"Be natural"

-Dai Vernon
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14447 Posts

Profile of Review King
Getting caught is part of the porcess. Go over it later and think how it happened and can it be avoided next time. We're all stil learning. Me after 40 years!
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
SoCalPro
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern California
1597 Posts

Profile of SoCalPro
Quote:
On 2007-09-13 18:42, Bobby Forbes wrote:

Problem solved Smile

What is a TOIBOX?
Bobby Forbes
View Profile
Inner circle
virginia beach, VA.
1457 Posts

Profile of Bobby Forbes
Quote:
On 2007-09-14 02:01, SoCalPro wrote:
Quote:

Problem solved Smile

What is a TOIBOX?

http://web.mac.com/jonathankamm/iWeb/ToiBox/Welcome.html
Andy the cardician
View Profile
Inner circle
A street named after my dad
3370 Posts

Profile of Andy the cardician
Quote:
On 2007-09-10 10:33, paymerich wrote:
I was at the restaurant last night performing at a table and I was wowing them real good especially the mom at the table . I was finishing up doing my version of Nate Kranzo's Voodoo Card. Quick summarry of the effect is : Spec picks and signs a card , card is "lost" , The spec sign a business card as the deck is placed in the card box . the business card is folded , the card box is opened, and Voila' the spec signed card is folded in the middle of the deck.) Right as I do the Mecury fold , my hand bumped the table ( those high bar tables) and the mom focus right on my hands right in the middle of the fold. I continue on with the trick but as I do the final reveal she mouthes to me: "I saw the card" and I gave her a conspiritorial wink. I was performing the effect for the father who pulled the cards out of the card box who was agahst. About 5 seconds later, she semi-quietly says to the husband "I will tell you later". Ugh I hate getting busted especially when you have been wowing them.
BTW not looking for advice for I know what I did wrong, just venting. Anyone else have a simialr experience.

Yes, I had a number of busts throughout the year. Each one of them made me a better magician
Cards never lie
joseph
View Profile
Eternal Order
Please ignore my
16946 Posts

Profile of joseph
Some people see a "flash" and think they have the whole trick figured out...I don't think you are ever safe from the heckler, or know it all.....
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Einstein)...
matt.magicman
View Profile
Inner circle
Mars
1513 Posts

Profile of matt.magicman
Quote:
On 2007-09-15 18:02, Bobby Forbes wrote:
Quote:
Quote:

Problem solved Smile

What is a TOIBOX?

why wont the "order worldwide" link work??
kammagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1304 Posts

Profile of kammagic
Quote:
On 2007-09-16 09:23, matt.magicman wrote:
Quote:
On 2007-09-15 18:02, Bobby Forbes wrote:
Quote:
Quote:

Problem solved Smile

What is a TOIBOX?

why wont the "order worldwide" link work??

None of the links work. The book has been sold out for quite a while. Everything is on hold until the DVD is released hopefully by the end of the year.

, Jonathan
sahunhong
View Profile
Regular user
158 Posts

Profile of sahunhong
I agree with the many people that have posted. Getting busted = incentive for more practice

SH
Hart Keene
View Profile
Inner circle
Eugene, OR
1486 Posts

Profile of Hart Keene
I know this is off the subject and I have talked with Kam via PM about this but what are the differences between TOIBOX and Kennedy's mystery box? Aside from TOIBOX being more "pocket friendly"

I currently perform Paperclipped and Johny Ace Palmer's Card in shoe(which in my opinion is the most powerfull folded card to impossible location but not for restaurants, just strolling cocktail etc.) and I have NEVER been caught on the fold. Not saying this to tute my own horn but I have structured the routines in such a way that the moments leading up to the fold are "relaxed". What I mean is that something amazing has happened prior to the fold so everyone thinks I am done. You should be smooth enough at the fold to do it quickly under fire(I think you need to go through at least 10 - 15 decks folding each card to get somewhat comfortable with the action, then touch up on it every now and then if you are not performing regularly) but it really should be done when they aren't looking....
-Hart

Check out my website:
Magician Portland Oregon
Magicmatt1982
View Profile
Loyal user
Southeren IL
296 Posts

Profile of Magicmatt1982
You really should all be ashamed of your self. I talked to Ice Mcdonald this past friday night. I talked to him about this post. WOW really it is hard to put into words what he said. but when you get busted you are doing what he calls Magical Treason.You are giving away what we do. Instead of saying well it is ok everyone does it. You should practice more. You are a magician act like. Merlin did not get busted doing magic so why should we. I am sorry to say it this hard but when I heared him say that I loved it. I bust my butt so I do not get caught and everyone is saying it is ok. Tell me what the difference is between you getting busted on a effect and the masked magician. NOTHING. Sorry but those are my thoughts.
kammagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1304 Posts

Profile of kammagic
Quote:
On 2007-09-22 14:48, Hart Keene wrote:
I know this is off the subject and I have talked with Kam via PM about this but what are the differences between TOIBOX and Kennedy's mystery box? Aside from TOIBOX being more "pocket friendly"

Toibox is just an ordinary mint tin you buy at the store but I teach you how to use it in extraordinary ways.

The Kennedy Box is a great prop but it does have it's draw backs.
1. Too big
2. Looks like a magic prop
3. It's gimmicked
4. It can be looked at but not thoroughly examined
5. Specatator can not remove the card from the box
6. When the lid is removed you now have 2 props to deal with.
7. It costs $80!
8. It can't be used impromptu with any deck of cards.
9. Not the best for stand up surrounded work. Having a table works best.
10. Can't be done without a mercury or secret card fold.

Toibox solves these issues.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Getting Busted by a spec- your reactions ? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL