The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Getting Busted by a spec- your reactions ? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
magicbusiness
View Profile
New user
3 Posts

Profile of magicbusiness
If you're trying to "fool" your audience, they'll try to bust you. And it'll always wind up badly. What you're doing is saying "Look at me, I'm smarter than you. You jerk." Of course they're going to challenge you.

On the other hand, if you're trying to "show them a good time", they'll do whatever it takes to enjoy themselves. That means they're on your side. They don't want to figure you out. They want you to win.

Of course, there will always be the occasional heckler. What I'll sometimes do is use their own words and actions to tool them out. If the spectator says "I know how that's done", you reply "Wow man. You're so smart. I wish I could be you."

I once had a condescending guy ask me "Do you really expect to get laid doing this?" My reply was "Wow dude. Are you like, a player? That's so awesome. Here. Show me how to get a girl. You're a superstar. I want to learn from you." He shut up pretty fast.

Of course, this is a hostile tactic. Use it selectively and don't blame me if you lose your gig or get beat up. (And of course, don't use this on kids.)

If you rehearse well and focus on making people happy. You really shouldn't run into too many of these.
Make money with your magic.

http://magic-business.blogspot.com/
Slappy
View Profile
Loyal user
North Hollywood, CA
255 Posts

Profile of Slappy
This thread reminds me of a recent visit to the Castle. It was an early Wednesday evening and the close up room was virtually empty. I was there to see a VERY well known and well respected performer. Since I rarely wear my pin when I'm there, I was chosen to be an assistant and was seated at the table beside the performer. I sat for twenty minutes and could not believe my eyes as he flashed virtually every effect he performed. I saw double lifts so bad, it looked like he was holding a pinky break between them! I did my very best to go along with the show and never ever let on, to ANYONE what I saw. I left actually feeling grateful that it was only ME sitting there and not some neophyte whos heart would have surely been broken.
Now this performer plays the castle on a very frequent basis...should I have said something to this performer? How would some of you have handled it?
"Help, I've got a silver ball stuck on my thumb"
Hart Keene
View Profile
Inner circle
Eugene, OR
1486 Posts

Profile of Hart Keene
Quote:
On 2007-09-25 14:39, magicbusiness wrote:
Of course, there will always be the occasional heckler. What I'll sometimes do is use their own words and actions to tool them out. If the spectator says "I know how that's done", you reply "Wow man. You're so smart. I wish I could be you."

I once had a condescending guy ask me "Do you really expect to get laid doing this?" My reply was "Wow dude. Are you like, a player? That's so awesome. Here. Show me how to get a girl. You're a superstar. I want to learn from you." He shut up pretty fast.

As he said please don't follow this advice, I would imagine he doesn't work much...LOL
-Hart

Check out my website:
Magician Portland Oregon
Shodan
View Profile
Special user
Isle of Man
663 Posts

Profile of Shodan
Quote:
On 2007-09-24 16:57, Magicmatt1982 wrote:
You really should all be ashamed of your self. I talked to Ice Mcdonald this past friday night. I talked to him about this post. WOW really it is hard to put into words what he said. but when you get busted you are doing what he calls Magical Treason.You are giving away what we do. Instead of saying well it is ok everyone does it. You should practice more. You are a magician act like. Merlin did not get busted doing magic so why should we. I am sorry to say it this hard but when I heared him say that I loved it. I bust my butt so I do not get caught and everyone is saying it is ok. Tell me what the difference is between you getting busted on a effect and the masked magician. NOTHING. Sorry but those are my thoughts.

Jeez, get a load of you!

We are only human, and everyone makes mistakes. There are NO exceptions to that rule! Maybe you have or maybe you haven't, but keep on performing long enough and you WILL. That won't make you a bad magician.

The difference between getting busted on an effect and the masked magician is that one is an accident, the other is mass exposure for profit.

Cheers,
David
"You don't go up to strangers with a stick and come at their head...introduce yourself first, then come at them with a stick." - David Williamson
Shodan
View Profile
Special user
Isle of Man
663 Posts

Profile of Shodan
Quote:
You really should all be ashamed of your self. I talked to Ice Mcdonald this past friday night. I talked to him about this post. WOW really it is hard to put into words what he said. but when you get busted you are doing what he calls Magical Treason.You are giving away what we do. Instead of saying well it is ok everyone does it. You should practice more. You are a magician act like. Merlin did not get busted doing magic so why should we. I am sorry to say it this hard but when I heared him say that I loved it. I bust my butt so I do not get caught and everyone is saying it is ok. Tell me what the difference is between you getting busted on a effect and the masked magician. NOTHING. Sorry but those are my thoughts.

Jeez, get a load of you!

We are only human, and everyone makes mistakes. There are NO exceptions to that rule! Maybe you have or maybe you haven't, but keep on performing long enough and you WILL. That won't make you a bad magician.

The difference between getting busted on an effect and the masked magician is that one is an accident, the other is mass exposure for profit.

Cheers,
David
"You don't go up to strangers with a stick and come at their head...introduce yourself first, then come at them with a stick." - David Williamson
Isramagia
View Profile
Regular user
Bayamon, Puerto Rico
114 Posts

Profile of Isramagia
I use the top change on some effects I do. Recently I got caught and was surprised since this rarely happened. On my next paid performance I got caught again and was totally ****ed at myself. After much reflection, I got complacent about the move since I have been performing it for so long. I took them out of my shows and restuctered the routines and now I am back to performing them successfully. AI now periodically rehearse with this experience in mind.
Thanks - Izzy
Izzy
kammagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1304 Posts

Profile of kammagic
Quote:

Ashamed of yourself?
Merlin didn't get busted?
Magical treason?
No difference between getting busted on a effect and the masked magician?
Sorry but those are my thoughts?

Sorry is right.
SoCalPro
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern California
1597 Posts

Profile of SoCalPro
Matt,
On a side note, your web page is really hard (on the eyes) to read. If we have a hard time seeing it, so will your clients. Not a put down or dig, just an observation.

JIM
nucinud
View Profile
Inner circle
New York, New York
1295 Posts

Profile of nucinud
Matt, I have sensitive eyes and your site does not bother me.
But this sounds a bit harsh.
Quote:

I agree getting busted is bad. I try to watch my angles. If the angles are bad, I do not do the trick, I will do some thing else. But nobody is perfect. Sometimes people get busted and the spectators do not say anything. Kids will try to bust you, they will crawl under a table to get a better view. You just have to learn from each experience. Getting busted once, happens. Getting busted twice is bad, but not treason. Continuously getting busted is bad for the rest of us. But that is the way it goes. We just have to be sharp and better than that. My 2 cents.
"We are what we pretend to be" Kurt Vonnegut, jr.

Now U C It Now U Don't

Harry Mandel

www.mandelmagic.com
Hart Keene
View Profile
Inner circle
Eugene, OR
1486 Posts

Profile of Hart Keene
Quote:

Matt, I looked at your promo video and it looks like you are mostly a comedy magician. There wasn't any "technically demanding" stuff that I saw on the video. Do you do any stuff in your act that is considered technically demanding? The reason I ask is that when you do a fair amount of "knuckle busting" stuff, especially close-up, there is more of a chance of having a technical difficulty so to speak. Especially when you enter a group as an outsider, you are on "their" turf. When people come up on stage they are for the most part well behaved because they are on your turf and you control the situation.

My stand up act is bulletproof. It is far from self-working but not as hardcore as some of my close-up material. Your comment makes me wonder if you have worked a lot of strolling venues. Getting caught every now and then is part of the journey. It makes you a better magician.

So do you do much strolling close-up or just stand up stuff? Care to share some of what you consider your harder material? I use a lot of comedy in my magic but I wouldn't consider myself a comedy magician. Not sure how comedy magicians doing fairly easy material should ever get "caught".
-Hart

Check out my website:
Magician Portland Oregon
Hart Keene
View Profile
Inner circle
Eugene, OR
1486 Posts

Profile of Hart Keene
One more thing Matt. If you are doing stand-up or stage stuff as a comedy magician, how would you know if you got caught? Maybe they are applauding because you are funny...Do you really think the guy/gal on stage is going to call you out in front of all those people? I think not, most of them are scared to death to be up there in the first place...

For many people the fear of public speaking is greater than death itself...
-Hart

Check out my website:
Magician Portland Oregon
Magicmatt1982
View Profile
Loyal user
Southeren IL
296 Posts

Profile of Magicmatt1982
Ok fine pick on the one person who is right that is fine. Ok my web site is just fine (fix ur eyes) I get booked more from my web site then anything else I do. I do a platform act yes and that is what my promo video is. My main money is from close up work. I do private parties,resturants,and tons of walk around. I can do all of the nuckle busting crap but here is the thing most of that is for me and I do not know if you know this or not but I am hired to perform not to showoff. If you get busted a lot doing nuckles busting stuff then PRACTICE.That is all I am saying. I do not perform a effect unless I am very smooth with it. I have a dvd coming out nov 1 from magic makers inc with a lot of my close up work on it. So there you go you want to pick on someone for being right then fine. but unlike some here I do not spend all of my time on the Café and make money in magic. So there you go .
Trestkon
View Profile
New user
Canada
94 Posts

Profile of Trestkon
Just popped over and took a look at your website, Matthew. It gets the point across very nicely, you should probably consider grammar/spell checking the text, though.
-Larry
kammagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1304 Posts

Profile of kammagic
Quote:
On 2007-09-28 13:15, Magicmatt1982 wrote:
Ok fine pick on the one person who is right that is fine. Ok my web site is just fine (fix ur eyes) I get booked more from my web site then anything else I do. I do a platform act yes and that is what my promo video is. My main money is from close up work. I do private parties,resturants,and tons of walk around. I can do all of the nuckle busting crap but here is the thing most of that is for me and I do not know if you know this or not but I am hired to perform not to showoff. If you get busted a lot doing nuckles busting stuff then PRACTICE.That is all I am saying. I do not perform a effect unless I am very smooth with it. I have a dvd coming out nov 1 from magic makers inc with a lot of my close up work on it. So there you go you want to pick on someone for being right then fine. but unlike some here I do not spend all of my time on the Café and make money in magic. So there you go .

Matt,

From one working pro to another. I am sure you are very good. But nobody performs flawlessly night after night. Everyone makes mistakes. If you are saying you don't. Give me a break. You are probably not this cocky and arrogant in person but you sure are appearing that way here. Cockiness is an unappealing quality in a magician or anyones personality. If you are such a perfectionist you may want to work on that little flaw.

, Jonathan
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3469 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On 2007-09-25 17:24, Slappy wrote:
Now this performer plays the castle on a very frequent basis...should I have said something to this performer? How would some of you have handled it?

I watched a junior at the Castle who was doing a routine with the four aces. In his Elmsley he showed black-ace-with-a-small-pip, red ace, red ace, black-ace-with-a-small-pip. After the show I told him that he did a good job - it was a good show in general - but that for the Elmsley with aces he needed to show a duplicate red ace: people will notice either two aces-of-spades or zero aces-of-spades; they're that distinctive. His response: I showed you all four aces!.

So, no, you probably shouldn't have said anything. It's likely it wouldn't have been well-received.
Magicmatt1982
View Profile
Loyal user
Southeren IL
296 Posts

Profile of Magicmatt1982
I am not saying I am pefect you are taking me wrong. When you are performing either do stuff that works with out a lot of moves or have some great outs. THis is one thing that Ice mcdonald says. Have outs so when things do happen (like getting busted) you have a way out of it so you still look like a magician.
Hart Keene
View Profile
Inner circle
Eugene, OR
1486 Posts

Profile of Hart Keene
Quote:
On 2007-09-28 13:15, Magicmatt1982 wrote:

I hope you weren't directing your comments at me kind sir. I do work...a lot. I currently perform at two restaurants per week (it used to be four but I love my daytime sales job and it got to be too much when you add in the private stuff) and practice as much as possible on "off" nights which include full video taped rehearsals. I don't do knuckle busting stuff just for the sake of doing it, I do what ever it takes to entertain. Do I make mistakes that often? No, but it does happen from time to time, we are all human. The reason you are getting jumped on here is because you made a very arrogant post and got called out for it.

I consider myself to be a very good technician and have worked hard to get where I'm at. Kamm is also a very good technician(check out some of his videos) and works a ton. He is also saying that he makes mistakes from time to time.

So what material do you do that you would consider somewhat technically demanding and please share how you NEVER make a mistake while performing it. Also, what restaurants do you currently perform at? Names and locations?

Wasn't Merlin REALLY magic?

Posted: Sep 28, 2007 3:11pm
Also, I don't know if I would brag about working with magic makers...
-Hart

Check out my website:
Magician Portland Oregon
kammagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1304 Posts

Profile of kammagic
Quote:
On 2007-09-28 14:14, Magicmatt1982 wrote:
I am not saying I am pefect you are taking me wrong. When you are performing either do stuff that works with out a lot of moves or have some great outs. THis is one thing that Ice mcdonald says. Have outs so when things do happen (like getting busted) you have a way out of it so you still look like a magician.

In the original post Pablo bumped his hand on the table and flashed the card he was Mercury Folding. An honest mistake which could happen to anyone.

Your reply was "you should be ashamed of yourself" " Its magical treason" "you should practice more" "you are a magician act like it" " you're no different then the masked magician"

Do you understand how out of line you were with your comments? Take responsibility for what you say. Don't quote other magicians. Ice said this, Ice said that. That shows a lack of confidence in yourself. Your a professional act like one. I'm sure if Ice had known the guy simply bumped his hand on the table he wouldn't of made the comments you quote above and he probably doesn't appreciate you using his quotes incorrectly.

, Jonathan
Magicmatt1982
View Profile
Loyal user
Southeren IL
296 Posts

Profile of Magicmatt1982
Look after this I am done with you all. It was not that they guy bumped his hands on the talbe. That ok I will give to yopu people do that all the time. What I was saying was toward what you all were saying. That it is ok and do not let it bug you kind of things. I am a professional and because of that I am not going to waste my time talking to you. I have other things to do. O and by the way I am proud of having a DVD come out from magic maker inc. They are a great company. Gusse what all magic companyies screw up (ickle pickle what ) but people still buy from them. So get over it. Any ways good by.
MickeyPainless
View Profile
Inner circle
California
6074 Posts

Profile of MickeyPainless
If this persona comes out in your performance I'm sure that even if you did flash or make any other mistake, your spec's would be afraid to call you on it! Lighten up man, life's to short!
Mick
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Getting Busted by a spec- your reactions ? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.32 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL