The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Check Out This Portable Sound System (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Tony Thomas
View Profile
Inner circle
North Carolina
1239 Posts

Profile of Tony Thomas
Check this out...
http://www.skymall.com/shopping/search.htm
This may work well for small venues. The cost is $299, the ipod fits in the top. Notice the retractable rolling handle in the top, and aluminum construction. It looks awesome. Do you think the icue2 would work with this unit?
From the Encouraging Magic of...

Tony Thomas

www.magictonythomas.com
Stevethomas
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern U.S.A.
3728 Posts

Profile of Stevethomas
This unit already has a place to plug in an iPod or MP3 player, but if there's a line in (with 2 RCA jacks) the iCue2 should work. I would send a link to Kelly Duro at Virual Soundman and get his opinion.

Steve
Tony Thomas
View Profile
Inner circle
North Carolina
1239 Posts

Profile of Tony Thomas
Hey Steve,
That is a good thought. It does have a second RCA "line in". I will send the virtual soundman folks the link and let everyone know what they think. What other concerns would y'all have? Am I missing anything?

Tony Thomas

www.magictonythomas.com
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5696 Posts

Profile of Regan
My concerns are not knowing more about it. It would be good to have some more specs. Also, I know nothing about Frontgate.....I assume they are the manufacturer. I would rather buy audio equipment, speakers etc. from a reputable manufacturer that I know something about. I may have missed it, but I didn't even see a power rating. I'd certainly have to know a power rating before I'd ever consider buying a PA system. I didn't see the weight listed either.

I would also be concerned that might not be stand mountable. It doesn't say, but it's doubtful. A key to getting a small system to project to the audience is getting them above the crowd.

It mentions a "pro quality" mic, but I would probably never use it. I wish the makers of these things would stop including inferior mics with this stuff and cut the price.

It doesn't look like there is much control over the channels. Again, detailed specs would be nice, but trying to decipher from the pics it looks like 1 conrtol for the mic input, 1 for the 1/4" phone input, 1 for the phone jacks input, and then 1 other control. Not enough sound control options for me.

It may turn out to be a great little unit, but those are some my main concerns.

Regan
Mister Mystery
Jeff Haas
View Profile
Special user
903 Posts

Profile of Jeff Haas
It really looks like a consumer-level piece of equipment, not something made for use on the road.
Tony Thomas
View Profile
Inner circle
North Carolina
1239 Posts

Profile of Tony Thomas
I found a better link from the Frongate Website directly. Here it is...
http://www.frontgate.com/jump.jsp?itemID......13%2C115

Thanks for your feedback above. As you have stated, I do think it is a high end consumer level product. I contacted the Virtual Soundman folks. They said, "If it has the rca input, then the icue2 will work with it". The Frontgate Website indicates that it is speaker stand mountable (1 3/8" speaker stands). It has one mic input and one rca input, and the ipod mounts on the top (a third input specifically for the ipod). I called the Frontgate folks and they indicated the power was 22 watts. In laymans terms, they described it as 150'. So, with that extra info, what do you think? Is that power rating enough for smaller venues? For $299, do you think it is worthy for small parties or library shows?

Tony Thomas

www.magictonythomas.com
craig filicetti
View Profile
V.I.P.
Arizona
545 Posts

Profile of craig filicetti
I don't think so. I use a 90 watt piano amp and it was less than $299, and to be honest it is not enough for large rooms. IMHO, that sounds OK for a living room, but not much more.
ProMystic - Professional Systems For Mentalists
<BR>www.promystic.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Check Out This Portable Sound System (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL