The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » The Sound of Music (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3067 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
I just finished watching The Sound of Music.

I have a theory: if you like it, you're alright. If you don't, you're a pretentious, alternative, gothic, lame-brained sicko.

But I could be wrong.

Am I?

Jeff
Bill Nuvo
View Profile
Inner circle
3094 Posts or
2747 Posts

Profile of Bill Nuvo
Are you a lonely goat herder? Or is it a doe, a deer, a female dear?
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4570 Posts

Profile of Payne
Quote:
On 2007-09-11 17:41, stoneunhinged wrote:

you're a pretentious, alternative, gothic, lame-brained sicko.

You say that as if it's a bad thing
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3067 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
Quote:
On 2007-09-11 18:16, Payne wrote:
Quote:
On 2007-09-11 17:41, stoneunhinged wrote:

you're a pretentious, alternative, gothic, lame-brained sicko.

You say that as if it's a bad thing

My apologies.

But do you like The Sound of Music? Perhaps I need to think up an entirely new set of pejoratives for the SOM haters. After all, I'm pretentious, alternative and lame-brained myself. I'm just not Gothic. And I happen to think that SOM is one of the greatest movies of all time. I also think Julie Andrews is hot. But that's beside the point. (Or is it?)

Jeff
Bill Nuvo
View Profile
Inner circle
3094 Posts or
2747 Posts

Profile of Bill Nuvo
The hills are alive with the sound of music because I just buried the Backstreet Boys alive.
rossmacrae
View Profile
Inner circle
Arlington, Virginia
2464 Posts

Profile of rossmacrae
Sorry, but somehow the attitude just oozes from the script:

"Get ready ... wait a minute, CUTE! ["Awwwww!"] - now, here it comes ... ready ... CRY! Gotcha! (Stupid audiences, they'll do anything we tell 'em)"
Rupert Bair
View Profile
Inner circle
?
2121 Posts

Profile of Rupert Bair
I always get this film mixed up with Mary Poppins and think they did a singing routine with cleaning and pulling out big things from small bags. And then they float of to there standing ovation with umbrella's.
phillipsje
View Profile
Veteran user
329 Posts

Profile of phillipsje
Great film.
Eddie Garland
View Profile
Inner circle
Hells Kitchen, New York City
4208 Posts

Profile of Eddie Garland
These are a few of my favorite things.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1199 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Guess that makes me a sicko! I don't have much use for the overwhelming majority of films in which people spontaneously break into song.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4162 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
I was Rolf, the young telegram deliverer/future Nazi in a production when I was actually 17 going on 18.

Here are a couple of "special" trailers for SOM, and my other favorite, Mary Poppins. Bet you didn't know they were originally intended to be scary thrillers:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=lRZ8iq6sukA

http://youtube.com/watch?v=2T5_0AGdFic
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
El Paso, TX (Formerly Amarillo)
17198 Posts

Profile of Father Photius
First movie I ever took a girl to, was years later before I got to watch it and know the story.
"Now here's the man with the 25 cent hands, that two bit magician..."
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2805 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
I like musicals. I'm not crazy about SOM. It's not actually <bad> like say "The Music Man" which I consider one decent song looking for a musical to be in. I think my favorite film musical right now would still be "Singing In The Rain," with "Chicago" coming up a close second. My wife's are "Rent" and "Hairspray." All bets are off when "Sweeny Todd" comes out in December!

I'm sorry they never finished filming "Into The Woods."
"All the world's a stage, but the play is badly cast!" - Oscar Wilde
rossmacrae
View Profile
Inner circle
Arlington, Virginia
2464 Posts

Profile of rossmacrae
I am very afraid of what they'll do to "Sweeney Todd."

One musical I like a lot, with a film that got (IMO) undeserved bad-reviews: "A Little Night Music." Trying very hard, and enjoyable if you surrender to it (and believe it or not I've seen high-school groups try it including full-size sinking ship) "Titanic the Musical"

You want sweet? Really, genuinely sweet (instead of saccharine)? "The Light in the Piazza" - just wonderful!

Then, of course, there's "Avenue Q", which probably gives fans of traditional "safe for dinner theater" musicals the jitters. Hilarious!
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4570 Posts

Profile of Payne
Quote:
On 2007-09-11 18:20, stoneunhinged wrote:

My apologies.

But do you like The Sound of Music? Perhaps I need to think up an entirely new set of pejoratives for the SOM haters. After all, I'm pretentious, alternative and lame-brained myself. I'm just not Gothic. And I happen to

I don't hate the Sound of Music. To hate it I'd have to care and I really don't care for The Sound of Music.

I'm sure it's a fine piece of film. I just think it's been ruined with the silly images and insipid soundtrack that are on it.
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3067 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
Maybe I listen to the music with different ears. I don't just hear what's there, but what *could* be there. A heavy metal version of SOM would blow everyone's socks off.

Listen, everyone, in your minds. It's Metallica! They're singing:

You are sixteen going on seventeen
Baby, it's time to think
Better beware be canny and careful
Baby, you're on the brink

I'd pay good money to hear it.

Jeff
Muckey Spleen
View Profile
New user
83 Posts

Profile of Muckey Spleen
Great film, and a great stage musical too.
Jerrine
View Profile
Special user
Busking is work.
629 Posts

Profile of Jerrine
S.O.M. all my thumbs up!
rossmacrae
View Profile
Inner circle
Arlington, Virginia
2464 Posts

Profile of rossmacrae
You know, they do SOUND OF MUSIC theater dress-up-stand-up-and-sing-alongs, a la ROCKY HORROR.
Cheety
View Profile
Regular user
Melbourne
190 Posts

Profile of Cheety
How come the guy who posted it only watched it now? wat was he doing all this time?
Mostly Harmless ^_^
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » The Sound of Music (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL