The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » The Sound of Music (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3067 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
Quote:
On 2007-09-13 02:05, Cheety wrote:
How come the guy who posted it only watched it now? wat was he doing all this time?

You know, I was sitting here thinking up a silly answer to this question, and then I thought the truth might actually interest some of you.

What was I doing before? Living in Germany.

SOM is virtually unknown in Germany. It doesn't show on television. No one knows the songs. No one I have asked has seen or heard of it.

Surprisingly, I saw it at the city library a few days ago, and decided I should see it. Who bought it for the library I do not know.

The DVD doesn't even have a German language option on it.

What might otherwise be a world phenomenon is unknown here. Perhaps because it has Nazis in it? Or maybe just because musicals aren't big here. No one goes around singing "Oklahoma" here, either. Except for me.

Jeff
rossmacrae
View Profile
Inner circle
Arlington, Virginia
2464 Posts

Profile of rossmacrae
Quote:
On 2007-09-13 04:24, stoneunhinged wrote:
Perhaps because it has Nazis in it?

That is a real possibility. It's not just sensitivity, in many ways it's the law. I don't suppose German law would actually criminalize the depiction of Nazis in a film, but many things (like the sale of actual or repro Nazi memorabilia) are, as I understand it, illegal.

But suppose a German musical depicted a brave American ex-nun leading a talented but troubled family (say, maybe, the Partridge Family) to safety across the border in Canada, narrowly escaping J. Edgar Hoover's goon squad in the Nixon era, all the while doing little bubblegum-style song and dance routines (aided by singing and dancing nuns, of course) - probably not a real big seller.
George Ledo
View Profile
Magic Café Columnist
SF Bay Area
2973 Posts

Profile of George Ledo
We live on the outskirts of a small city in CA, and now and then I can literally sit in our bedroom, look out the window at the hills, and hear the sound of mooing. One of these days I'm going to have to count the cows and see if there are really sixteen going on seventeen.

Or, as someone said, cows may come and cows may go, but the bull goes on forever.
That's our departed buddy Burt, aka The Great Burtini, doing his famous Cups and Mice routine
www.georgefledo.net

Latest column: "Sorry about the photos in my posts here"
sparks
View Profile
New user
Charlottesville, Virginia
89 Posts

Profile of sparks
I love SOM. My wife is an even bigger fan... she has an autographed photo of all of the children from the movie (purchased from Angela Cartwright's website [whom played Brigitta in the film before going on to the role of Penny in Lost In Space... I was in the fifth grade... my first TV crush was "Penny"]). Anyway... the photo is signed by all seven of the actors and is of the scene where they are on the steps singing farewell at the party. A side note... I recall a news story from a number of years ago... I think it was in South Korea. They felt the film was too long, so they cut all the songs out. Yes… The Sound of Music without the music.
Sparks

It's kind of fun to do the impossible - Walt Disney
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2805 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On 2007-09-13 04:24, stoneunhinged wrote:
Quote:
On 2007-09-13 02:05, Cheety wrote:
How come the guy who posted it only watched it now? wat was he doing all this time?

You know, I was sitting here thinking up a silly answer to this question, and then I thought the truth might actually interest some of you.

What was I doing before? Living in Germany.

SOM is virtually unknown in Germany. It doesn't show on television. No one knows the songs. No one I have asked has seen or heard of it.

Surprisingly, I saw it at the city library a few days ago, and decided I should see it. Who bought it for the library I do not know.

The DVD doesn't even have a German language option on it.

What might otherwise be a world phenomenon is unknown here. Perhaps because it has Nazis in it? Or maybe just because musicals aren't big here. No one goes around singing "Oklahoma" here, either. Except for me.

Jeff

Musicals are big in Germany. It might be the Nazi thing or it might be that the musicals in Germany (or nearby Austria) are heavy affairs with a lot of sturm un dang (I think I spelled that right.)

My wife discovered a German version of Roman Polanski's film "Dance of the Vampires" (Known here as "The Fearless Vampire Killers - or - Excuse Me, But Your Teeth Are In My Neck.") The musical of the film follows the film's premise fairly closely, but adds tons of angst and misery for the head vampire.

While following up on links for "Danz de Vampeers," she found other musicals, one concerned a queen who was flirting with Death (literally, Death was a character in the storyline.) And another with Mozart dealing with unfulfilled issues personified in the vision of his younger 12 year old self.

SOM doesn't even qualify to that level.

(Any Germans here? Am I wrong in this? Are there "happy light-hearted musicals" out there that I just haven't heard of?)

Quote:
On 2007-09-13 20:20, sparks wrote:
I love SOM. My wife is an even bigger fan... she has an autographed photo of all of the children from the movie (purchased from Angela Cartwright's website [whom played Brigitta in the film before going on to the role of Penny in Lost In Space... I was in the fifth grade... my first TV crush was "Penny"]). Anyway... the photo is signed by all seven of the actors and is of the scene where they are on the steps singing farewell at the party. A side note... I recall a news story from a number of years ago... I think it was in South Korea. They felt the film was too long, so they cut all the songs out. Yes… The Sound of Music without the music.

I remember that happening when my wife turned on "Seven Brides For Seven Brothers" and, after the opening credits, the film <started> with the mountain man and his new wife arriving at the cabin. The next major number following that was cut and my wife turned off the movie in disgust!
"All the world's a stage, but the play is badly cast!" - Oscar Wilde
Chrystal
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada/France
1552 Posts

Profile of Chrystal
Chessman was that really you as Rolf? Must have been a great experience for you!

I liked the film so quess that puts me in the cool people category. Don't want to be in that other group, although gothic and alternative is okay by me, just don't want to be labled lame brained.

Chrystal
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2805 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
I think he said he was "in a production," not in the film.
"All the world's a stage, but the play is badly cast!" - Oscar Wilde
Chrystal
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada/France
1552 Posts

Profile of Chrystal
Thanks Mandrake,

I misread it..hope that doesn't place me in the lame brained category. :O)

C
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
I went to see it in 1965 or 1966, and I thought it was OK then, but 42 years later it is extremely dated. Isn't Julie Andrews as old as dirt?
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
hoodrat
View Profile
Veteran user
Southern California
384 Posts

Profile of hoodrat
Here are a couple quick trivia questions about the movie version of "The Sound of Music" starring Julie Andrews. Answers are below.

Q: What was the name of Captain Von Trapp's housekeeper (she had a few spoken lines in the movie)?

Q: We all know who Baroness Schrader was. What was her first name?

Q: What was Uncle Max's last name?

Frau Schmidt was the housekeeper's name

Elsa was Baroness Schrader's first name

Detweiler was Uncle Max's last name
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3067 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
Al, kitsch is never outdated. Elvis will live forever, and so will captain Kirk, and so will SOM. But SOM takes kitsch to the highest level of art.

I'm pretty isolated in that I watch neither television nor contemporary Hollywood movies. My television (for which I do not even own a digital decoder, necessary where I live) is used only for DVDs.

Occasionally, on vacation or at someone's house, I see what's coming out these days. Or I am loaned or given DVDs to watch. I watched the entire first season of "24" a few months ago, for example--a gift from my parents, who thought I'd like it. I hated it. I honestly don't know why I continued watching until the end. I guess I thought I was doing my parents a favor.

So Al, I have this to say: if SOM is dated by the standards of "24" and Brad Pitt movies, by Hollywood action films and *serious* dramas with gun-toting Jodie Fosters, by light comedies with Whatshisname Carry or Jennifer Fillintheblank, then give me dated. Contemporary entertainment is so utterly lacking in artistic value or integrity that I am in awe of its success. Pure Charlatanism. Not just that--it's in astonishingly bad taste.

Give me a movie like "Charade" and I am quite happy. Dated...? Kitschy...? Yes. Quality entertainment? Yes. And that's what counts.

Besides, ya gotta love the Alps. I vacation at the foot of the Alps every year. I can't get enough of looking at them.

Jeff
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
I tried watching it but by major butchiness wouldn't allow me to finish it. If I'm overcome with the desire to see a musical I'll watch Paint Your Wagon.
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Wait a minute, in the past two years I have seen "Rent", "Hair Spray", and "Chicago" (on Broadway) I just don't care for old time music. The whole thing takes place during WW II isn't that Archie's war?
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3067 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
Old time music? As in Doc Boggs or the Carter family?

Al, we are worlds apart, my friend. I never accused you of being uncultured or ignorant. Just the opposite: I'm claiming that I am uncultured and ignorant, and that I find kitsch respectful, artistic, and worth my time.

You can watch "Hair Spray" 457 times, if you want.

As we say in German: Geschmacksache!

Love and horses,
Jeff
Eddie Garland
View Profile
Inner circle
Hells Kitchen, New York City
4208 Posts

Profile of Eddie Garland
And Brigitta Von Trapp / Penny Robinson / Angela Cartwright is cool.
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
AHA It's a cultural thing, now I understand your fondness for the story, country side, costumes, and the whole package. My youth was more like the story line from "Hair Spray".
Thanks
Al
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Al, there are two types of musical fans, boxers and bikini briefs....you and I are boxers.
CJRichard
View Profile
Special user
Massachusetts
542 Posts

Profile of CJRichard
Thank God, Al and Santa aren't bikini briefs. . .

But I'll be Al chimes in and says he is, really. . .

SOM, I think, is one of the last of the "old style" musicals, like "My Fair Lady" and "The King and I."

"West Side Story" begins to move us into the modern era that includes things like "Godspell," a lot of Sondheim, "A Chorus Line," etc. as well as the much newer "Rent," "Wicked" and the like.

One in a while there's still a big overblown romance like "Phantom," and we can't forget that the sun'll come out Tomorrow, but generally speaking they don't write 'em anymore the way Rodgers and Hammerstein did.
"You know some of you are laughin', but there's people here tryin' to learn. . ." -Pop Haydn

"I know of no other art that proclaims itself 'easy to do.'" -Master Payne

Ezekiel the Green
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
West Side Story is good because I loooooved Natalie Wood. I will admit I had great seats for live music theater but my wife caused me to miss so many of them that I gave up my seats (10th row, just right of center), when you miss 75% of the shows at $100 a round it gets bothersome. For movies I like Paint Your Wagon, if that counts as a musical, West Side Story, JC Super Star, and that is all my poor brain can recall. Does Xanadu ever run? That was a disaster, saw it in the theater....oh, Grease is one I can't not watch.
Eddie Garland
View Profile
Inner circle
Hells Kitchen, New York City
4208 Posts

Profile of Eddie Garland
Xanadu is on Broadway Smile
http://xanaduonbroadway.com/index2.html

I saw Spring Awakening in July...liked it!
Expect a film.
http://www.springawakening.com/home.php

Ah... but the now closed "Grey Gardens" was the rarest of treats!
Show is going to London...Christine Ebersole's performance is worth whatever flight it takes to see her.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4yUJFpkHiY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDS8tkdT_-E
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » The Sound of Music (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.2 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL