The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » The Sound of Music (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3067 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
Quote:
On 2007-09-16 21:32, CJRichard wrote:
generally speaking they don't write 'em anymore the way Rodgers and Hammerstein did.

No, they don't. Do you remember the line in Amadeus where Salieri tells Mozart that he doesn't let the audience know when to clap? That's Rodgers and Hammerstein: they let us know when to clap--and cry, and laugh, and sing along. That's why I call it kitsch. It's not music for intellectuals.

Now, Andrew Lloyd Webber--see, that's stuff for intellectuals. It's pretentious, effete nonsense. You can't even play your banjo along with it. A banjo in "Cats"? I mean, really! I would bet $500 that Andrew wears bikini underwear.

But I can play my banjo along with "Oklahoma". You betcha!

Jeff
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2805 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On 2007-09-20 04:21, stoneunhinged wrote:
Quote:
On 2007-09-16 21:32, CJRichard wrote:
generally speaking they don't write 'em anymore the way Rodgers and Hammerstein did.

No, they don't. Do you remember the line in Amadeus where Salieri tells Mozart that he doesn't let the audience know when to clap? That's Rodgers and Hammerstein: they let us know when to clap--and cry, and laugh, and sing along. That's why I call it kitsch. It's not music for intellectuals.

Now, Andrew Lloyd Webber--see, that's stuff for intellectuals. It's pretentious, effete nonsense. You can't even play your banjo along with it. A banjo in "Cats"? I mean, really! I would bet $500 that Andrew wears bikini underwear.

But I can play my banjo along with "Oklahoma". You betcha!

Jeff

Oh God no! Not the image! Andy Loud Webby in bikini underwear! Arrrrgh!

Question is, can you play your banjo to Sondheim?
"All the world's a stage, but the play is badly cast!" - Oscar Wilde
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3067 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
Sondheim? Banjo? I suppose I could play some stuff from West Side Story, but he didn't write the tunes to that, did he?

Into the woods? Nope. But I suppose I could use my ukulele if I were sitting on a beach with Bernadette Peters.

Jeff
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2805 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On 2007-09-15 10:39, Chrystal wrote:
Thanks Mandrake,

I misread it..hope that doesn't place me in the lame brained category. :O)

C

God, if it does then I fit into the "brain <dead>" category for all the stuff <I've> misread!

Quote:
On 2007-09-21 08:34, stoneunhinged wrote:
Sondheim? Banjo? I suppose I could play some stuff from West Side Story, but he didn't write the tunes to that, did he?

Into the woods? Nope. But I suppose I could use my ukulele if I were sitting on a beach with Bernadette Peters.

Jeff

"Sweeny Todd" on the banjo! Smile Give it kind of a "Deliverance" slant!
"All the world's a stage, but the play is badly cast!" - Oscar Wilde
Eddie Garland
View Profile
Inner circle
Hells Kitchen, New York City
4208 Posts

Profile of Eddie Garland
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » The Sound of Music (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL