The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Believe it or not... » » Dunk clown makes headlines (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

just_larry
View Profile
Veteran user
330 Posts

Profile of just_larry
So I just finished doing a fair here in Memphis .
the fair hired me to do stage shows and some street stuff.
Also there was Jimmy Dixon with his new theater of illusions sideshow(spidora, blade box, living 5 legged dog), Lee Kowoski's (sp?) kids (giant rat, headless girl,etc.), and then over the 2nd weekend 6 more individual shows popped in (mini horses, snake girl, small girl,etc.).

The fair did well,
but the funniest thing is the Fuss over the dunking clown.
Look it even made the headline of the paper today!!!!
it was http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/2007/sep/12/e12fair/

He wasn't even that bad I have seen and heard WAYYYYYYY worse (this guy didn't cuss or use racist/sexist slurs like most of them.
Hilarious!

Just,
Larry
ringmaster
View Profile
Inner circle
Memphis, Down in Dixie
1869 Posts

Profile of ringmaster
Well' he did use racest stuff, he told one black woman she was the reason for this (another fair in an all white suburb, two weeks before the Midsouth Fair in Midtown Memphis). that's been the three hundred pound gorilla of the Music Fest.
One of the last living 1-in-one performers. I wanted to be in show business the worst way, and that was it.
just_larry
View Profile
Veteran user
330 Posts

Profile of just_larry
He did say that but he never called her a any dirty names.
He made a ton of people uncomfortable, but that is what they do make you madder than He!l so you'll shuck out the cash-olla to knock him down.

and where was the "zamora" pitch, I didn't know they had a 300 pound one there?

Larry
jondark445
View Profile
Special user
717 Posts

Profile of jondark445
See...this headline was much more interesting the way I first read it...I thought it said Drunk Clown...
KingStardog
View Profile
Inner circle
2134 Posts

Profile of KingStardog
I was a sucker on the drunk clown. Would have been far more interesting.
...think not that all wisdom is in your school. You may have studied other paths,but, it is important to remember that no matter who you are or where you come from, there is always more to learn.
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
When did the definition for 'racist' change? Was that around the same time 'street magic' was redefined?
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
I just read the article about how the fair was a safer fair than the main fair. Now I know Memphis is a questionable area but what goes on at the other fair? Knife fights? Gang violence? Sounds like an interesting place.
dabru
View Profile
New user
56 Posts

Profile of dabru
My all time favorite Dump Bozo line:
"Look who's next!...check out the ears on that
guy!...he looks like a Buick with both doors open"

dabru
mota
View Profile
Inner circle
1658 Posts

Profile of mota
I knew a bozo (dunk tank clown) in the early 1970's. I saw him play in northern Minnesota with the old Murphy Brothers show. He was black and one of his many hooks was racist.

He would tell those good old boy iron miners up there that the girl with them was really pretty and he would ask them out from the chair in the tank. Need I mention he was the darkest guy there and the girls were quite, quite white.

When he went down this road those guys would empty their wallets and almost be going over the counter to get at him. He would continue to taunt them to the edge of attacking.

He was very, very good and whenever he got off and someone else went in the tank a strange thing happened. He became an instant celebrity. The guys who he was taunting fell all over the guy on the midway, trying to be his buddy.

He couldn't play today...too politically correct. But in that day he was really something to watch.
ringmaster
View Profile
Inner circle
Memphis, Down in Dixie
1869 Posts

Profile of ringmaster
Quote:
On 2007-09-16 17:34, MagicSanta wrote:
I just read the article about how the fair was a safer fair than the main fair. Now I know Memphis is a questionable area but what goes on at the other fair? Knife fights? Gang violence? Sounds like an interesting place.
Knife fights, several shootings,and a yearly hoot-out between North Memphis and Orange Mound gangs after closing the last Sunday. The creation of the new Music Festin basicly all white Germantown is a reaction to that.
The Bozo's telling a Black woman she didn't belong there was in refrence to that, and ys it as racest, even by our standards.
One of the last living 1-in-one performers. I wanted to be in show business the worst way, and that was it.
Stevethomas
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern U.S.A.
3723 Posts

Profile of Stevethomas
I would bet money that's the same bozo who used to work the tank right inside the gate at the OLD North Mississippi Fair and Livestock Show in Tupelo. When it used to be at the fairgrounds right in downtown Tupelo. Haven't seen (or heard) him in YEARS. Made tons of money. Ah..I remember those days...almost 20 years ago.

Steve
Doc Dixon
View Profile
Special user
Pennsylvania, USA
654 Posts

Profile of Doc Dixon
Years back I knew a guy who did the insults from a tomato booth -- you paid a buck and you got to throw a tomato at him. An overweight woman comes up to him. He begins with the insults. She gives back. This went back and forth. She finally wants to quit and says, "I want respect." His reply:

"You want respect? Go to India and 'moo'"

Took two full-grown men to keep her from running after him.

Good times.
“For centuries we’ve said playing cards – even a single playing card – could reveal a person’s innermost thoughts.
Now you can prove it!”
See http://www.dixonmagic.com/page5/page5.html
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Believe it or not... » » Dunk clown makes headlines (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL