The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » The trick you screw up the most-- (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
docelk
View Profile
Veteran user
St. Pete, FL
362 Posts

Profile of docelk
Whether for lack of practice, difficulty of sleights, amount of memorization, or just the evil whammy....

For me, it's spreadwave---maybe the newness, but although I practice it often, I mess it up on a regular basis. I shudder every time I perform it. (By the way, a great trick). Anyone else have their personal nemesis?
Life is a test. It is only a test. If this had been a real life, you would have been given further instructions on where to go, and what to do.
Ben Train
View Profile
Inner circle
Erdnase never had
4639 Posts

Profile of Ben Train
Estimation.

Sometimes I'm only off by 1 or 2, and I have outs to cover it, but I wish I could hit that **** reliably!
If you're reading this you're my favourite magician.

Check out www.TorontoMagicCompany.com for upcoming shows, and instagram.com/train.ben for god knows what!
Andre Hagen
View Profile
Inner circle
1432 Posts

Profile of Andre Hagen
I gave up Sidewalk Shuffle long ago. I could not for the life of me keep the moves in my head. Love the effect but it defeated me.

Andy
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one - Albert Einstein
C-Taylor
View Profile
Loyal user
261 Posts

Profile of C-Taylor
If you don't have it down or mess it up often, should you be performing it?
"theres a lot of good card magic in that book, unfortunately you have to have skill to do most of it." Smile
michaelmystic2003
View Profile
Inner circle
3062 Posts

Profile of michaelmystic2003
Clocking the deck screws up 75% of the time for me.
Learn more about my upcoming book of close up magic and theory SYNTHESIS & SECRETS: A Magic Book in Four Acts: https://www.michaelkrasworks.com/synthesis-secrets
Andre Hagen
View Profile
Inner circle
1432 Posts

Profile of Andre Hagen
C-Taylor,

Did I say I was performing it? I said I gave it up. I never messed it up in performance because I never performed it. It wasn't for me. Some sort of mental block I guess. I would get it down in practice and would forget it the next day.

The topic was "The trick you screw up the most". but no distinction between practice and performing. Did you ever want to do a trick C-Taylor that you found you were just not comfortable performing?

Andy
AngeloR
View Profile
Elite user
441 Posts

Profile of AngeloR
Andre,
I believe C-Taylor was addressing his question to the original post by docelk.

Angelo
phillipsje
View Profile
Veteran user
329 Posts

Profile of phillipsje
Nana's Necklace by Dean Dill. I only get this one to work about half the time.
Andre Hagen
View Profile
Inner circle
1432 Posts

Profile of Andre Hagen
Angelo,

If this is so...my apologies to C-Taylor. My experience with Sidewalk Shuffle stands as an example and he and I are in complete agreement.

Never perform an effect that you are not completely comfortable with.

(Murphy's Law, Corollary #1001 - If you believe something is going to go wrong due to past experience, it will!)

Thanks Angelo!

Andy
joseph
View Profile
Eternal Order
Please ignore my
17411 Posts

Profile of joseph
Lol, the first thing I also thought of was Sidewalk Shuffle....Although I don't perform it yet, it is one of those things you just have to keep practicing, but I think it is well worth it....
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Einstein)...
Bobby Forbes
View Profile
Inner circle
virginia beach, VA.
1569 Posts

Profile of Bobby Forbes
Quote:
On 2007-09-12 18:08, Michaelmystic2003 wrote:

I'll second that.
Pale
View Profile
New user
Memphrica
3 Posts

Profile of Pale
The trick I mess up the most is Invisible Palm Aces. I do Bill Malone's version and the last card always gets... well messed up.
No really I didn't do it... honest Smile
Ben Train
View Profile
Inner circle
Erdnase never had
4639 Posts

Profile of Ben Train
Quote:
On 2007-09-12 21:21, Bobby Forbes wrote:
Quote:
On 2007-09-12 18:08, Michaelmystic2003 wrote:

I'll second that

Is this not addressed by clocking 13?

And some things you have to do before you get them down. Psychological forces, misdirection, estimation- all things you will have to screw up over and over before you learn them.
If you're reading this you're my favourite magician.

Check out www.TorontoMagicCompany.com for upcoming shows, and instagram.com/train.ben for god knows what!
Donny Orbit
View Profile
Special user
944 Posts

Profile of Donny Orbit
I always find it funny that when a post like this with a legitimate question is made, there is always one person who either feels as though they need to chime in with a comment such as "Practice makes perfect" or some other unrelated holier than thou comment. We all screw up sometimes. I too drop the ball on clocking, Diplopia waits for my perfection.

XX
do magic

www.8bom.net
msc455magic
View Profile
Inner circle
Taipei, Taiwan
1523 Posts

Profile of msc455magic
For me... any aerial moves. Screws up easily for me, especially when the wind is big.
aiturran
View Profile
Loyal user
Santiago, Chile
260 Posts

Profile of aiturran
Wrong topic. Smile
kammagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1304 Posts

Profile of kammagic
I stay away from any trick that envolves me having to do math. I always screw that up under pressure.
DStachowiak
View Profile
Inner circle
Baltimore, MD
2158 Posts

Profile of DStachowiak
Quote:
On 2007-09-12 17:25, Andre Hagen wrote:
I gave up Sidewalk Shuffle long ago. I could not for the life of me keep the moves in my head. Love the effect but it defeated me.

Andy

I'm glad I'm not the only one who can't retain this for more than a couple of days.
Denny Haney did the jumbo version last week at the Magic Club meeting, and I was inspired to dig it out and have another go at it, and so far I'm having the same problem as Andre. I'll get it, and then a day or two later I can't remember it again. (sigh)
Don
Woke up.
Fell out of bed.
Dragged a comb across m' head.
JSBLOOM
View Profile
Inner circle
2024 Posts

Profile of JSBLOOM
For a time, I kept on messing up back in time, my best normal deck trick.
Now, I up jog 3rd card from top and bluff that I miss.
Now I never miss getting the break.
I do agree with the math tricks.
For example, GORDON DIARY.
I made up a tiny crib sheet.
Josh Chaikin
View Profile
Inner circle
Kansas City
1430 Posts

Profile of Josh Chaikin
I was in the middle of performing Tailspin a few weeks ago, and completely blanked on one of the phases. I think I ended up doing a kind of modified Ascanio spread, and forgoing the final phase of the effect. It's something that I perform very regularly, and play around with to amuse myself. Not sure how my brain hicupped.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » The trick you screw up the most-- (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL