The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Pasteboard Frolics » » Flourishes: Do they take away from the effect or give to it? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
DanielMooncalf
View Profile
Regular user
Kansas City
113 Posts

Profile of DanielMooncalf
Look, folks...

Not to brag, but... From personal, professional experience, my awesome card fanning definitely adds to my already strong effects...
trashmanf
View Profile
Loyal user
300 Posts

Profile of trashmanf
Got a youtube channel of your awesome fans daniel?

I do agree though, and I think most people that talk badly about flourishes are just jealous that they can't do them.

every single time I have ever done flourishes in a magic routine, the people are hella stoked on them
magicwatcher2005
View Profile
Elite user
Washington state
446 Posts

Profile of magicwatcher2005
Most youtube magic videos start with the guy doing a bunch of meaningless false cutts and fancy cutts before he get into a bad version of his favorite card trick.
trashmanf
View Profile
Loyal user
300 Posts

Profile of trashmanf
Hey magicwatcher2005 ! I notice you're from washington, do you ever go to the pike's place magic shop?
Theodore Lawton
View Profile
Inner circle
1631 Posts

Profile of Theodore Lawton
I'm a newbie, so I'm thinking that one or two flourishes can only help my credibility.

I like to keep it simple, because that's all I can handle for now. If I have a small packet for the spectator to choose from I like to do a small fan for them. It just looks cooler than spreading them with both hands.

I'm practicing my full deck pressure fan, but not good enough to use it yet. I think it will be a good way to take peeks and show that "as you can see, this deck is in no particular order," etc. As well as adding that touch of professionalism.

Thanks for all the great suggestions. I'm considering all that you have to say and it really helps. Great forum.
Magic is the bacon in the breakfast of life.

God bless you and have a magical day
Daniel Nicholls
View Profile
Veteran user
UK
390 Posts

Profile of Daniel Nicholls
Depends on the trick. I wouldn't flourish if I was gonna force and reveal a card but maybe I would in a gambling demonstration like th 3 card monte.
Close your eyes. Open your senses.
Josh W.
View Profile
New user
26 Posts

Profile of Josh W.
I say there's a time for flourishes and a time not to use them. Flourishes add flare to a trick, but also can take away from the trick if used too extensively. I recommend using from 1 to 2 flourishes per trick, if any. You don't want to over do it.
"The person who says, 'I can' and the person who says 'I can't' are both right. Who do you want to be?"
chicagoharry
View Profile
New user
94 Posts

Profile of chicagoharry
Flourishes set you apart from the proffesional and that guy with the cards that did a few "tricks". I agree that they should be used in moderation and should not be the highlite of your act. But they will set you apart and people will know that you are a proffesional at what you do. Now I usually perform flourishes between effects. Reason I perform in flourishes in between effects is so that it's done on the off beat. It's not that I'm showing off like, "look at what I could do." No I do it naturally to flow into the next effect. It helps build a routine as opposed to performing effects at random.
blackdeck
View Profile
New user
Baltimore, MD
86 Posts

Profile of blackdeck
It all depends on what kind of magician you are and what effect you are doing.
clarissa35f
View Profile
Veteran user
363 Posts

Profile of clarissa35f
I think that there is nothing wrong with some flourishes. Presure fans, and one hand fans have their place. They can be misdirection. But also, it seems more elegant when offering the deck for a card selection for it to be from a One hand fan, as opposed top just spreading the cards out... I mean everyone's Uncle Larry offers the cards out between both hands, and is that the impression you wish to leave your audience with?

One hand fans, one hand cuts, ribbon spreads, maybe a fast 3 packet false cut. Something that shows you are competent with the cards. Something that displays elegance. Something that lifts you above the shoulders of every other Tom, Dick, or Harry out there.

But beyond a certain level I think that it may hurt the magic when you actually perform magic. I think Dai Vernon covered this when he told us to aim for simplicity, to make finger motions as little as possible. The less " movey" it appears, the more it has to be magic.

One set of flourishes that I feel can be added to a routine and not destroy the effect in my opinion. Card Productions, Fan Productions. Think Jeff McBride, I doubt anyone would dare say he does not look magical. He thinks of these as flourishes, therefore since he knows more than I, I agree with him.

But if between a few card routines you stop to do a split fan and card production routine for say 5 or 6 minutes, I doubt anyone will find your routine less magical.
“Amateurs practice until they get it right.
Professionals practice until they can’t get it wrong.” <Anonymous>
"There is no such thing as magic, there is no other way that could have been done" <Whit Haydn>
mikeybionic
View Profile
New user
san francisco
31 Posts

Profile of mikeybionic
I think flourishes give the spectator the impression that objects move magically when in the magician's hands.
Aleister Killerby
View Profile
New user
Sunny Australia
56 Posts

Profile of Aleister Killerby
When you show a magic trick with cards, no-one believes it's magic. Everyone knows both subconciously and conciously that it is sleight of hand, and an impressive display of skill in the form of deception. The reason is that if you had magical powers, why waste them on a deck of cards? But rather from taking away from it, that knowlege makes them love it. It's like seeing a soccer star juggle the ball 10,000 times straight. They love it because of his skill.

Flourishes take the deception part away and show the audience just how hard it is to do what you do, they appreciate it more because they realise how dedicated you are. Some flourishes and manipulations are still in the form of a magic trick (i.e. colour changes, productions, certain displays, flipback vanish, birdy fan) but look very difficult (which they are) and the audience credits the magician with the difficulty involved. Others are not in the form of magic, but are solely displays of skill and show the audience that, yes, you are a master of sleight of hand, but you are still entertaining. They know it's not magic, and seeing a well done flourish is like seeing a highly entertaining explanation of your trade. The audience loves it, feels satisfied, no longer keeps bugging you to explain them the effect because after what they have seen you can do with a deck of cards they know they probably won't be able to do it, and in my opinion flourishes contribute greatly.

Then there are the flourishes that are only a means to an end, such as the fan and ribbon spread. They are simple and direct in presentation, beautiful to watch, not highlighted as important in the act, and they help create a sort-of poetry in your magic. These are great to.

Quote:
On 2008-07-02 20:21, mikeybionic wrote:
I think flourishes give the spectator the impression that objects move magically when in the magician's hands.

Couldn't have put it better myself.

Quote:
On 2008-06-04 20:21, chicagoharry wrote:
I agree that they should be used in moderation and should not be the highlite of your act.

This depends on your act. Are you doing magic, or are you doing XCM, or both. Sometimes it can be a good thing to break free from the clutches of moderation. And unlike beer, they certainly shouldn't be enjoyed in moderation, but they should be used responsibly.

This is just my opinion, but I think flourishes, whether you make them the highlight of your act or not, are what make some magicians memorable and others not.

Remember a card magician is not a conjurer of magic, he is a master card handler, who can do anything with cards. Nobody believes that you are actually performing magic, why would you use a deck of cards if you had such skills. A good card magician is not remembered as actually being magic, but as being someone who can do things with cards that no-one else can (among other things), and flourishes reinforce this premise. Flourishes in my mind are like a 'teach-a-card-trick' trick on steroids.

Quote:
When this topic came up on another forum, I decided that I would defer to my buddies Hugard and Braue, discussing flourishing in RRTCM:

from p. xvii of the Preface:

"Complete naturalness of action, speech and manner is the essence of the art. There is a school of card conjuring in which the artist, by the mere rapidity of his actions, attempts to impress his audience with the great skill he possesses. We urge you to eschew this type of card work and instead strive at all times for a natural, relaxed, graceful handling of the cards."

This is very true, but how does it relate to flourishing? Flourishing is the skilful display of natural, relaxed and graceful handling of cards.
Quote:
from p . 37 (III: Flourishes):

"Used in moderation [flourishes] are a decided asset to the card conjuror, but when carried to extreme lengths they defeat the very object that the magician should always have in mind, namely, that the effects he produces are done by magic and not by skill. A series of brilliant flourishes leaves only the impression of juggling skill on the minds of the onlookers, and the performer's feats are dismissed by them with the remark, 'He's clever with his hands'."

I really disagree here (and I know that might cause an uproar). A man who can perform real magic would find it far easier than a man who has to replicate the effects with skill. Further, for the third time, the audience knows that magic with cards is skill (which can be poetic) rather than magic, and when you display a very high level of said skill the audience will love you all the more. If you pass off card magic as real magic, no-one will believe you, and you look like a trickster, even more so than if you present yourself as a trickster. Pretty much what our very own skinnyjohn said:
Quote:
I think it is important to keep flourishes in the context of your performance. Ultimately we are entertainers and there is a place for showing off your manipulation skills. In my (limited) experience, the spectator already thinks you are doing something tricky/sleighty with the cards, why insult their intelligence by pretending to be inept unless it is withing the confines of a comedic routine?

I hope what I have said is written well enough for your ease of understanding, if any of you find it confusing, let me know and I will edit what I have written.

P.S. - Let's not debate the difference between XCM & Flourishes, that needs another thread all together.

Aleister
jake.o
View Profile
Regular user
111 Posts

Profile of jake.o
If they are used at the right time in the right tricks they add to the effect but if they are used to much I think people believe that your doing everything so I think it makes it less magical
HarryTheMagician
View Profile
New user
11 Posts

Profile of HarryTheMagician
In the 'Flourish' chapter of Card College, Mr Giobbi talked of three schools concerning this argument: That of being very sloppy, so as to make the magic seem even more amazing; dazzling the spectator with endless displays of brilliance, to show your skill and that one, started by Dai Vernon, of being just in between: using flourishes carefully and treating the cards as an instrument. Is this not what we should all aim to achieve?
trashmanf
View Profile
Loyal user
300 Posts

Profile of trashmanf
Dunno, I would prefer to dazzle the spectator with endless displays of brilliance.
shak
View Profile
Regular user
132 Posts

Profile of shak
I think a good flourish can add to the effect, where as a bad flourish will take away from it.
Colin Mandel
View Profile
New user
48 Posts

Profile of Colin Mandel
It all depends on your style. If you are the sort of magician who does stylish and highly visual tricks, then flourishes definatelly add. The same applies if you premote yourself as a card mechanic. If, on the other hand, you are the sort of magician who likes old school effects and methodology, then take Dai Vernon's advice.

Either way they definatelly need to be carefully structured and worked into your repertoire, or they will just look like you are showing off, and not as a means to express your love of cards and your deftness with them.
VictorCruz
View Profile
New user
9 Posts

Profile of VictorCruz
My personal take on the matter... I think that it really depends on the type of performer that you are. I mean the entire point of magic is to entertain right? Unless you are trying to convince your audience that you are ACTUALLY doing magic, it shouldn't matter if they think that you are good with cards. Their are many ways to entertain people, not just fooling them. And in the end isn't that what really matters? Not how much people are confused at the end, but how entertained they while they were watching.

How many times have you gotten out a deck of cards, and before you even fan or spread the deck, the spectator says "I've already seen this one"? I know that its happened to me... A lot of people don't like magic because they have all of these preconceptions about it. The first thing that lots of spectators jump to is "sleight of hand" (right after sleeving lol), and that is enough of an explanation for them. So if they already know that you are good with your hands, why not try to impress them further and show them something that they have never seen their "Uncle Joe" do at a family reunion?

Just my thoughts on the matter,
Victor Cruz
Colin Mandel
View Profile
New user
48 Posts

Profile of Colin Mandel
If you think that flourishes make the effect less magical, well then why not stop doing riffle shuffles, and make it look like you are hopeless with cards. No-one believes your actually magic, so why pretend. I say do what you feel like, even if that contradicts my previous post.
Blackghost83
View Profile
New user
Selden, NY
36 Posts

Profile of Blackghost83
My take on this is that you have to judge on what the spectator wants. If you can tell that the spectator is one of those that will grab the deck or scream, "two cards!!", then you may want to use simpler tricks with flourishes to make them seem fancy. If you think that the spectator is very entertained by the end product of your magic, then keep flourishes to a minimum. Always be smooth with the cards.
When asked, "Would anybody play cards with you today?" Ricky Jay simply responded, "Sure."
"Silly People."
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Pasteboard Frolics » » Flourishes: Do they take away from the effect or give to it? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.31 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL