The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Linking Razor Blades- Review request (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

madmanmike1
View Profile
New user
Canada (Ontario)
94 Posts

Profile of madmanmike1
Hello all,
I was hoping that someone could review this effect for me. It is officially "Petrick and Mia's Linking Razor Blades" and you can see a video demo of this effect on Magicsmith.com . So if you have this, please tell me your thoughts on it! And if you do not have the effect, watch the video demo and tell me your thoughts! I plan on using this effect around the same time as a needle through arm bit during my children's birthday party shows (just kidding!)
"it's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide!"
daniel1113
View Profile
Veteran user
335 Posts

Profile of daniel1113
I always like to start my shows off with the old "spectator walks across broken glass" trick. Just kidding!
Daniel M. Carrico
debaser
View Profile
Special user
Boulder
557 Posts

Profile of debaser
The blades look good but not as good as the safety pins and not as versatile. Also, eventually the blades will rust. So I would only by it if you have a very specific routine to do with it, otherwise stick with the safety pins.

Matt
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4855 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
I've had a set of Linking Razor Blades for about 15 years or more. I use them for table hopping or walk around and have always recieved a great response. Even knowing the secret and watching it happen, I'm still amazed. I don't try to show the blades to be real or that they are sharp. It's pretty much a visual understanding.

I hold a blade in one hand, rest a second blade on it and just "concentrate"???? The blades seem to melt together. It's up close, visual magic and they just link. I don't use the entire set, however. I think it gets boring after two links but that's just my opinion.

As to the blades rusting, as I said, I've had my set for over 15 years and they look brand new. I don't coat them with oil or anything. Just wipe them down after each performance and put them back in the case. I've never used the safety pins so I can't compare them to the blades. Word of warning though. The blades are real, double edged razor blades and they are sharp. I had a few minor accidents when I first got them.
Where the magic begins
Paul
View Profile
Inner circle
A good lecturer at your service!
4409 Posts

Profile of Paul
I had this around 20 years ago when it first came out. A clever idea but it never made it into my performing repertoire. Of course, that is not to say that YOU might not be able to make it play in a comic/dangerous presentation.

I tend to agree with Matt in that to me the Linking Pins just looks better (and are perhaps a little more versatile with the various methods and handlings out there).

Of course, for a VERY quick table hopping "link" type trick, there is always Sankey's "Chain Reaction".

Paul.
madmanmike1
View Profile
New user
Canada (Ontario)
94 Posts

Profile of madmanmike1
Well, I just got them in. I must say that the gimmick looks kind of obvious (wonder how I missed it on the demo video). Tell me Dave, is this just because I know how it's done that it appears obvious to me? Have you ever been caught? Maybe I need to just sit down and practice the handling. I do have an application for this effect and if I can get it down, it will be a real "reputation maker" for me. Do you (or anyone) have any tips on the handling? I see that Petrick is selling a video with the effect on it; however, after spending a Canadian fortune on the blades themselves it is highly unlikely that I will be buying his video. Thanks a lot,
Mike
"it's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide!"
debaser
View Profile
Special user
Boulder
557 Posts

Profile of debaser
Mike

I think if you present them well no one will see the gaff. Just make sure the routine flows and there will be no time for the audience to catch on. Remember it's much more about a constant flow than trying to hide the gaff with this efffect.

Matt
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Linking Razor Blades- Review request (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL