The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Everything old is new again » » Pearl Poodle history ... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
JamesTong
View Profile
Eternal Order
Malaysia
11208 Posts

Profile of JamesTong
Would appreciate a bit of history on the Pearl Poodle effect.

This effect looks like an adaptation of the balloon twisted poodle.

Is the Pearl Poodle effect a fairly recent one? Who is the originator? Is this a public domain effect? Is there any published work on this effect?

Thanks.
MichaelKent
View Profile
Special user
537 Posts

Profile of MichaelKent
James,

I believe Bob Knigge takes credit for this. According to Carroll Baker's lecture notes where he describes the effect, Knigge had this in a pamphlet and lecture notes in 1996.

MK
JamesTong
View Profile
Eternal Order
Malaysia
11208 Posts

Profile of JamesTong
Thanks, Michael.
MagiClyde
View Profile
Special user
Columbus, Ohio
871 Posts

Profile of MagiClyde
I know Carroll Baker, if it's the same one that Michael Kent mentions. I'll ask him for you if you want.

Meanwhile, you can go to Carroll's website at http://www.carrollbaker.net for additional contact information.
Magic! The quicker picker-upper!
JamesTong
View Profile
Eternal Order
Malaysia
11208 Posts

Profile of JamesTong
Would appreciate if you could do that for me, clynim. Thanks for the links too.
carrollbaker
View Profile
New user
Ohio
85 Posts

Profile of carrollbaker
I can tell you that Bob Knigge did indeed teach me the Pearl poodle and is based on the balloon dog using 16-18 twists. Bob may have further details for you. It has been in print and in stores for retail but I don't think that Bob was given credit.

Any questions, PM me. and Yes, Clyde...it's me... Smile

Posted: Sep 24, 2007 7:52pm
By the way, The poodle was in either a Genii or Magic magazine with several great ideas.

CB
JamesTong
View Profile
Eternal Order
Malaysia
11208 Posts

Profile of JamesTong
Just sent a PM to you, Carroll.
Ace of Spades
View Profile
New user
Kingsport,TN
53 Posts

Profile of Ace of Spades
Bob is a member of our local IBM ring and it is a real pleasure to watch him work. In addition to the poodle he can "twist" other animals from the pearls too.
Eric Rose
View Profile
Regular user
Franklin, IN
160 Posts

Profile of Eric Rose
The Knigge booklet is called "Mini Pearl" and was published in 1996. Considering that the address for Knigge given in the very short pamphet is Tennessee, it's probably safe to assume the name is a play on the name of Grand Old Opry comedienne Minnie Pearl.
tedski
View Profile
Special user
New Jersey
786 Posts

Profile of tedski
You might also want to check out Norman Beck's lecture notes. He gives credit to the originator. Beck has a real nice routine using equivoque allowing you to magically produce the pearls and go into the poodle.
Moxahalla
View Profile
Special user
Los Angeles
715 Posts

Profile of Moxahalla
Thought I'd toss in my idea with the Poodles - and it never fails to amaze:

I visibly show a length of FLASH STRING (same 5 1/2" length as the string of pearls) Of course, the pearls are concealed within same hand.

I LIGHT the string, and at same time....I let the string-of-pearls fall. The effect is that PEARLS magically APPEARED on the string...in a flash of fire! (think about that - the spectators believe it to be the SAME string, and why not?)

I could end right THERE...and the audience would be amazed.

I proceed with the poodle-twisting, and present the poodle to the lady in the crowd.

When I'm feeling naughty--I'll finger-palm a RAISIN next to the poodle, and say: "Oops, Oh dear, he made a mess!" Smile
Andrew H.
View Profile
Regular user
Elizabethton,TN
124 Posts

Profile of Andrew H.
Quote:
On 2007-10-09 16:53, Eric Rose wrote:
The Knigge booklet is called "Mini Pearl" and was published in 1996. Considering that the address for Knigge given in the very short pamphet is Tennessee, it's probably safe to assume the name is a play on the name of Grand Old Opry comedienne Minnie Pearl.

Bob still uses this patter. We were talking about this effect one day and He told me that it was 1983 when he first started making the poodles. So I pretty sure bob was the creater. If you find anything in print before 83 plaease let me know.
magicbob116
View Profile
Inner circle
1523 Posts

Profile of magicbob116
Check out Larry Davidson's DVD "Scripted Insanity." He has a great routine using "Pearl the Poodle" on Volume 2. All of the effects on both volumes are real winners, by the way.
B. Robert Pulver

The "I Hate Card Tricks!" Book of Card Tricks Vol. 1, 2, and 3
Kards for Kids
Sticky Situations
Sleightly Wacky
http://www.magicnook.com/magicbob
MerlH
View Profile
Loyal user
Carolina Shores, N.C.
272 Posts

Profile of MerlH
Find a good scrapbook store. There is a recorder about 1 1/2x 1 1/2 by 1/4" thick. It will record around 10 seconds. I have it wrapped as a present. When I make a poodle I set it on the package and hit the button. The poodle says, arf,arf, have a great holiday, arf, arf, arf. I change it for whatever the occasion is, cruise, birthday, Halloween etc. The women then takes the poodle. If they start to take the present, I say, "no, that is just her platform so you can hear her easier. MOST people think I am a ventriloquist.

Merl
Merl Hamen Old dog-- New tricks
erichall
View Profile
New user
South Carolina
69 Posts

Profile of erichall
Merl-

Good to find you on the Café. Seems like I just saw this little poodle last year-
That little thing is like the sponge bunnies- I'm sure people go crazy for it!

E
Scott Compton
View Profile
Special user
Hampton, VA
747 Posts

Profile of Scott Compton
Bob Knigge did in fact create this. As well as a member of Ring 355 in Bristol, he is also a member of our ring in Knoxville. He has created several amazing effects. Tom Vorjohan and Daniel Herron also included this in their balloon twisting lecture notes a few years ago(with permission from, and credited to, Bob). Bob had a replacement heart and is getting better every day. I am sure that I will see him at the Winter Carnival of Magic in Pigeon Forge next month.
Magic is an art. I am merely a tour guide.
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Scott-Compton-Magician/160270640674735

"You are the magic" Jay Ose to Albert Goshman
deadcatbounce
View Profile
Special user
the Wilds of Ireland
818 Posts

Profile of deadcatbounce
I have this on the DVD back home. Can anyone help me with the assembly/twists? I'm away from home right now, but I have got a load of beads and elastic thread and I am dying to give it a go.

I'll be back home on Monday, so this inquiry is dead after that.

Perhaps you could PM me?

Thanks!

DCB
"With every mistake - we must surely be learning..." George Harrison.
JamesTong
View Profile
Eternal Order
Malaysia
11208 Posts

Profile of JamesTong
Quote:
On 2007-12-30 07:50, MerlH wrote:
Find a good scrapbook store. There is a recorder about 1 1/2x 1 1/2 by 1/4" thick. It will record around 10 seconds. I have it wrapped as a present. When I make a poodle I set it on the package and hit the button. The poodle says, arf,arf, have a great holiday, arf, arf, arf. I change it for whatever the occasion is, cruise, birthday, Halloween etc. The women then takes the poodle. If they start to take the present, I say, "no, that is just her platform so you can hear her easier. MOST people think I am a ventriloquist.

Merl

Thanks for sharing, Merle. Having the poodle make some noise is an excellent and entertaining idea.
Moxahalla
View Profile
Special user
Los Angeles
715 Posts

Profile of Moxahalla
Thanks for sharing, Merle. Having the poodle make some noise is an excellent and entertaining idea.

...then you might like:

Tenyo's "MYSTERY POODLE" ---with "barking" sound.

ALSO, dealer Dick Barry has offered his "Poodle Pearls" with a "barking" sound-effect device.
dcjames
View Profile
Special user
574 Posts

Profile of dcjames
Having been out of magic for some time now, and just recently returning to the fold, I had no idea that Bob Knigge wasn't well. I hope he is getting better. He's really a nice guy.

I had the pleasure of having Bob as a lecturer when I was the President of the local S.A.M Assembly in Charlotte, NC. (This was in the late 90's.) We had met at the Winter Carnival of Magic and his 'Minnie Pearl' is something I still use.

If I am not mistaken, following the lecture we went to dinner and he commented that this effect was the result of his having been at Mardi Gras and playing with the beads there...

Moxahalla - Great idea with the flash string!
“Magic is very easy to do - poorly.”

Tommy Wonder
The Books of Wonder
Volume 2
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Everything old is new again » » Pearl Poodle history ... (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL