We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » George McBride: The DVD, from Big Blind Media (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
swtrocks
View Profile
Loyal user
Los Angeles
206 Posts

Profile of swtrocks
Alright, I guess I let my personal biases and nausea from camera movements influence my initial viewings of Flight Path. Upon watching the effect performed several more times, the handling did not seem even half as awkward as it seemed to me initially. But as impressive as the effect appears to me now, I still do not think it'll find a place in my repertoire; it does not match my style of performance and would interrupt the flow of my routines.

That aside, if anyone cares to know, there are also several other lesser and more general factors that keep me from subscribing to the general enthusiasm. These factors include the limitation of the signatures, the expenditure of four cards, the tendency of the phases to suffer from repetition (as is typical for the plot in general), and the lack of an overall climax (ditto).

Nonetheless, I would recommend everyone who gets this excellent volume to spend some time with Flight Path. It's a great effect, and thanks to the people that got me to take another look at it and reconsider my previous comment.
ferryascanio
View Profile
Loyal user
Jakarta - Indonesia
265 Posts

Profile of ferryascanio
Are there many tricks that can be done standing (street magic situation)??
because I saw at the demo clip for Bar Room Blues (color change routine), it seems at the ending using lapping...
matt.magicman
View Profile
Inner circle
Mars
1513 Posts

Profile of matt.magicman
Ferryascanio, I am guessing that if david has posted without confirming this, and no one else has answered my reply then I am asuming that there is a lot of set ups, lapping, gimmicks involved in the routines
Dave Forrest
View Profile
Special user
Scotland
857 Posts

Profile of Dave Forrest
Ferryascanio,

Street Magic? Er...no, not really. You can certainly do a lot of it standing but if you're after 'Blaine-esque' style material this disk may not be for you.

Matt,

I didn't post without answering your question - I just didn't read your post until now. There is (from memory) one gimmick on the whole DVD and there is an extensive set up (extensive meaning more than say, the four Aces on top of the deck) required for only one or two effects - maybe less. George uses his lap ONCE in the DVD and this can be quickly and easily worked round with very little thought.

Having said that, the DVD probably isn't for you anyway. If you're after a disk full of walk around material that you can immediately slot into your repertoire without any adaptation then I'm sure there are disks available that deal with this type of material exclusively.

Wouldn't want you wasting your money mate!

Dave.
matt.magicman
View Profile
Inner circle
Mars
1513 Posts

Profile of matt.magicman
Thanks for the tip dave,
although, I am not after effects and dvd's that, once I have opened the box will be performing within minutes etc
its just that I do many strolling gigs, and when there are tables to use they are usually crammed with plates, cutlery etc...
so I am keen to LEARN effects that can be performed standing and the spectator have one had free (due to holding drinks etc)
I also try and adapt every effect I learn to suit my own performances, so having a few new original ideas and concepts would also be useful
have said all that, I think I will hold back for now as I am having great sucess with your own " what it isn't" effect, also I should get the new bill Malone dvd's through the post anyday now
maybe next payday...........
cheers dave,
matt
ps. when can we see more from the fantastic ian morain?
Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
6898 Posts

Profile of Cameron Francis
Matt.magician. Glad you are enjoying "What It Isn't"! Smile
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14447 Posts

Profile of Review King
I thought swtrocks gave a good review. Things he liked, didn't like. I agree with him on Bar Room Blues ( that's the only effect I've seen from the demo ).
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
ferryascanio
View Profile
Loyal user
Jakarta - Indonesia
265 Posts

Profile of ferryascanio
Thank's dave for the advise ...
but may be I'll buy for it, eventhough there are to many set up for the routine inside ...
it's ok, may be I can find the usefull idea, or a good trick as an opener of my strolling routine or a closer (after switch the deck) ...
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Strolling material....what is the two DVD set done by an English fellow, works restaurants and has a beard, there were very good and had stand up strolling close up....anyone recall off hand?

I have the McBride DVD in the machine now and am going through it and the routines.
matt.magicman
View Profile
Inner circle
Mars
1513 Posts

Profile of matt.magicman
Mark leveridge I think
rubadubdub
View Profile
Regular user
153 Posts

Profile of rubadubdub
Shaun Mcree
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Yes! Shaun Mcree...if you want strolling stuff get his DVDs, excellent. I'll review the McBride stuff later.
matt.magicman
View Profile
Inner circle
Mars
1513 Posts

Profile of matt.magicman
Oh yes, of course Shaun Mcree!
I think that, after matthew j downden's party animal have been my best dvd purchases this year
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Title: George McBride by Big Blind Media
Medium: DVD
Arena: Close up, cards (one coin matrix)
Available: Any shop, Distributed by Murphys Magic Supplies

I wasn’t familiar with George McBride prior to the release of this DVD. George hails from Scotland and the Brits were touting this DVD so highly that I was beginning to wonder if that Scottish lab that gave us that clone Dolly the Sheep had gotten hold of DNA from Ed Marlo and Dai Vernon and developed this guy to become a super human card machine. Then again the Brits are very supportive of each other so I figured I’d have to go through the DVD and decide for myself….and I have. First the production level is good, not great, the lighting could have been given more consideration, but it is better than a lot of what comes out and the sound is fine. George does not have a very thick accent and he could easily be understood, not always a give in with Scots. He was joined by other experienced magicians for the performance and explanations, not done for a live audience, who helped keep him on track. He does a great job in crediting and I like to see that as well.

I want to say that this wasn’t the high level card magic that I was lead to expect from the comments from the UKsters out there. That doesn’t mean it isn’t good solid card magic, it is, but they didn’t do themselves well by overselling it the way they did. It wasn’t necessary because it is better than average but not as good as some of what is out there. The material ranges from the very easy to routines that are well beyond my technical abilities, requiring seconds and all that good stuff. It also is not original material. What George did was take existing work and he made changes to the handlings that for the most part advanced the routines, which is really nice to see, and he is a good card man, not the best, but very good. When he did the coin matrix routine he flashed big time on three of the four moves. It wasn’t the best matrix you are going to run into and that was the weak point of the DVD.

The card material, for the most part, is the type you do sitting at a table and if you want to keep cards in the hands while strolling or doing table work then you will either have to do some major retuning yourself or look elsewhere. Since most magicians in the market for DVDs do work at tables at home or for friends then this stuff will be right up your alley. I won’t go into the contents too much because that is being done to death in reviews for this DVD and you can check out the list of contents in the ads. I will say that Immediate Ace Spelling was my favorite routine and I’d have to practice a couple years to do it the way George does. I liked Bar Room Blues, Double Swap Sandwich, and Hotel Mystery quite a bit, actually other than the coin matrix I liked it all but will have to develop my own presentations and alter the handling some to fit my performing situations. Again, after doing magic for well over 30 years it isn’t surprising that I wasn’t run over by the material but for you guys looking for stuff that will challenge you a bit, and at times a lot, this is a good solid collection to look into.

That about covers it. Like I said, this isn’t the second coming of Ed Marlo but you’ll find a very solid collection of magic and don’t go by me not liking the matrix, I’m not a matrix fan. This isn’t beginner stuff, for most you’ll want to give a bit of serious practice, and for that darn ace spelling a huge amount of practice unless you already have your second down then you are set. Well done by George and his cohorts. I will be using some of this material for the sit down situations I find myself and think a lot of budding card guys will find value and be able to build their abilities doing this material. This DVD is better than I’m making it sound I think but the praise kind of put me in that position.
Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
6898 Posts

Well, balanced review as always, MagicSanta. Although I personally don't agree with everything you wrote, I can certainly see where you are coming from.

A note about flashing. I can tell you from experience that it is VERY difficult performing magic for the unblinking camera (which is usually locked down). Especially when you're dealing with more than one camera and you personally can't see the monitor. Sometimes flashes can be fixed in editing and sometimes they can't.

Plus when you shoot an instructional magic dvd, it is filmed in a very different way than you would film, say, a David Blaine or Chris Angel TV special. For an instructional dvd, it is very important that everything is seen in the performance. While most of the time this isn't an issue, there are going to be certain effects where the level of the camera or a moment which is usually covered by misdirection will work against the deceptiveness of the trick on camera and certain methods will become blatantly obvious. But, hey, it is an instructional dvd and you are going to learn how to do it in a couple of minutes anyway, so who cares? Smile

I still think this dvd is exceptional. But then again, I'm not nearly as good as George.
Alan Rorrison
View Profile
V.I.P.
2477 Posts

Profile of Alan Rorrison
To mirror what Cam is saying. I agree and can talk form experience. It is a very different situation when you are performing for a camera. As Dave and Owen will tell you this is something that I had to take a few takes to get used to.

Keep in mind that people are raving about this guy based on his materials ability to astound not just the lay but the magi live. The man has some serious chops and is some one many of the top card guys respect.

All in all a well rounded review though and I always value your opinion, your one of the few honest guys on here.

Alan
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Thank you....

Next on the ol' DVD player....Fingers of Fury! Bwahahahaha! I've also a lil' pamphlet called What It Isn't! Double Bwahahaha!

Oh, heck yeah he has some chops, like I said, some of his stuff is way beyond what I can do. Speaking of Scotland I was at an illusion show a couple weeks ago and they had a guy there who looked just like a miniture R. Paul Wilson. I am telling you he was a dead ringer for Paul, only he was about a foot shorter.
Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
6898 Posts

Miniature R. Paul Wilsons! Collect 'em! Trade 'em!

Talk about some chops... Whoo-boy. Paul is pretty durn amazing as well.
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
First time I ran into Paul and watched him perform I thought he was goofing with his slow deliberate delivery....he wasn't.
VinceUK
View Profile
New user
North West England
51 Posts

Profile of VinceUK
I'm still waiting for my copy of this DVD, hopefully our wonderful UK postal system will deliver it eventually........
VinceUK
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » George McBride: The DVD, from Big Blind Media (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL