The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Magic Themed Restaurants (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
elgranmago
View Profile
Veteran user
373 Posts

Profile of elgranmago
If in Paris:

Visit "Métamorphosis", where you can dine on a barge on the river Seine, at the foot of Notre Dame Cathedral, and see a magic show afterwards:

http://www.metamorphosis-spectacle.fr/

If in Brussels, visit Magic Rubens:

4, rue de la Montagne
(place dite Agora)
1000 BRUXELLES
Belgique

http://www.magic-rubens.com/

José
"It´s kind of fun to do the impossible". Walt Disney
chichi711
View Profile
Inner circle
5810 Posts

Profile of chichi711
What is the reason that all these places go under? Bad food? Bad prices? Bad Magic? Or people just don't care enough about magic to go to a magic restaurant?

I would think for a restaurant to succeed it would need to be a good establishment first and magic second.

Dannydoyle I believe owns a restaurant (dont know if it is magic themed) he could probably shed some light on this.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20384 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
How can everyone omit

Schuliens, The Forks Hotel, and Ryans. 2 in Chicago and one in BUffalo.
I figured since we mentioned the Tom Foolery and it was closed we should be as complete as possible.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
chichi711
View Profile
Inner circle
5810 Posts

Profile of chichi711
So has any magic themed restaurant survived outside of the Castle?
Cory Gallupe
View Profile
Inner circle
Nova Scotia, Canada
1273 Posts

Profile of Cory Gallupe
Isn't the castle going under as well? I heard some talk that they were not doing well finantially. Is this still true? Are they doing better? Of all the places, I want the castle to survive.
chichi711
View Profile
Inner circle
5810 Posts

Profile of chichi711
If they follow the fortune of other types of magic restaurants they should be gone in no time. Hopefully they can make it!
Cory Gallupe
View Profile
Inner circle
Nova Scotia, Canada
1273 Posts

Profile of Cory Gallupe
Ya, I hope so too!
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20384 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Schuliens went for 110 years PLUS a few..give them a break man
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
chichi711
View Profile
Inner circle
5810 Posts

Profile of chichi711
I would hope any magic themed restaurant would go for 110 years. I love the idea. I just wonder why one can't stay open?
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20384 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Restaurants are tough animals
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Jack Riggs
View Profile
New user
12 Posts

Profile of Jack Riggs
How about because magicians and business men seem to be 2 mutually exclusive terms?
chichi711
View Profile
Inner circle
5810 Posts

Profile of chichi711
I don't know about that Jack. I think if you look around there are some great magicians that happen to be great business men.

One example comes to mind. Is David Copperfield a bad business man? Seems to be doing well in his business if you ask me.
Ross W
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
1654 Posts

Profile of Ross W
Quote:
On 2003-02-18 09:54, DaveVegas wrote:
Are there any magic themed places in the U.K?

There's one that occasionally runs in London called Late Night Magic Cabaret, which is a restaurant dinner (with tableside magic) followed by a show in the small theatre donwstairs. I have never been.
Author.
Twitter: @rosswelford
www.rosswelford.com
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20384 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Chichi for a restaurant to "work" for any length of time it is a HUGE investment in first off money.

You will not get back your investment for about 3 years. GENERALLY I am speaking here guys so no jumping down my throat.

Second "time". In GENERAL again, most owners will tell you if you are not there someone is stealing from you. This is why families are the way to go when opening. People you KNOW you can trust.

Then the actual business end of a restaurant is tough as well. Very demanding and very frustrating.

Now I am not talking about Copperfield putting a million bucks into a place and having his people make it go. I mean average places.

But even with money look at Planet Hollywood, failed misurebly even with backing so money is not the only answer here.

So it takes dedication and money. You almost have to love the business to be in it.

Trust me.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2732 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On 2003-02-14 13:54, youngdanf wrote:
I always thought that it would be cool to open a pizza place and call it "Magic Pizza". It would make a great family restaurant. My kids would love it. But then again I love making pizza and love magic.
Maybe after I finish my schooling and have more time.

There was a cartoon show called "Weekenders" about a group of kids. Each cartoon would start on a Friday night and end Sunday night. At one point or another in the cartoon, the kids would go to the local pizza parlor which was always changing identities. I seem to remember they did a magic theme once.
"There's no time to lose," I heard her say.
"Catch your dreams before they slip away."
"Dying all the time, lose your dreams and you could lose your mind.
Ain't life unkind?"
Flec
View Profile
Special user
Birmingham, UK
585 Posts

Profile of Flec
Try http://www.houseofillusion.net in spain. English magicians working 7 nights a week, close up magic during a dinner (included in the ticket) and then a full stage show. Also has a little magic shop selling basic Svengali's and thumb tips etc. I worked there myself, and I kno a few other Café members who worked there too.
mxray
View Profile
Loyal user
276 Posts

Profile of mxray
While reading this thread, something seemed familiar. So I did a Google search and it lead me to a bio of Copperfield on the Int'l Speakers Bureau. Most of it is just publicity press stuff but this was what got the google hit :

"In 1996, David Copperfield announce plans for an Interactive magic-themed restaurant, Copperfield Magic Underground to be located on Times Square in New York and at Walt Disney World Resort in Orlando, Florida. Unlike passive themed restaurants of the 90's, Magic Underground will take patrons on a magic adventure where they will actually experience the magic as they dine."

What ever happened to these restaurants ? Did they ever get off the ground? If so, are they still in existance?
MXRay
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20384 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Mxray that is kind of my point thank you.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Ryan Lehman
View Profile
New user
NY
13 Posts

Profile of Ryan Lehman
This is my opinion and it is strictly an opinion. I think Copperfield restaurant was pulled from creation by himself. I, personally was looking forward to this restaurant but it never happened. I think Copperfield was "running low on money" so he stopped construction. I think he stopped due to lack of interest or he just felt like buying 10 more of houdini's antique illusions. No one will really know except him. Personally I think he just didn't want to give up that much money.
"If this is magic,
let it be an art"
-William Shakespeare
calamari
View Profile
Elite user
The San Francisco Bay Area
429 Posts

Profile of calamari
I know Martinez Ca. was mentioned and that place is called "California Magic Dinner Theatre" it has been open for a couple of years, is family owned and opperated, and is struggling with the typical first few years of any business trials. they have been putting on some great talent and it is a fun place to eat and see a show.I hope they make it, maybe we should all send them a dollar to help keep them going(LOL) check them out at http://www.calmagic.com
"I came, I saw, SHE conquered." (The original Latin seems to have been garbled.)
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Magic Themed Restaurants (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL