The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Magic Themed Restaurants (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
calamari
View Profile
Elite user
The San Francisco Bay Area
429 Posts

Profile of calamari
About the Magic Castle's possible financial trouble here is an excerpt from the Magic Castle Occasional WEB newsletter a quote from the outgoing President Dale Hindman.

"And although we have weathered financial challenges, I am proud to be able to hand over leadership of our organization to a new President and Board of Directors next month with our club in the best financial condition of its 43 year history; we have a substantial cash reserve and no debt; we have increased the pay for magicians who perform in our club; we have a professional accounting staff, new outside accountants and a modern and efficient accounting department that will provide our new leaders with timely and accurate financial data to help them manage for the future".
"I came, I saw, SHE conquered." (The original Latin seems to have been garbled.)
templemagic
View Profile
Elite user
Sunderland, North-East England
420 Posts

Profile of templemagic
I second Flec's as Ive worked at House of Illusion too...

Also, in Bavaria is Das Zauberkabinett and Hotel Oberland - http://www.zauberkabinett.com, amazing place too!

Great places if your around.
TM
ROBERT TEMPLE
"The Power to Amaze"

robert@roberttemple.co.uk
http://www.roberttemple.co.uk
Chris Jones
View Profile
Elite user
439 Posts

Profile of Chris Jones
Hey you relly did second it...ROFLMAOAYS

Criss
lemme at him, just lemme at him
bsears
View Profile
Inner circle
Cincinnati, Ohio
1035 Posts

Profile of bsears
The Abracadabra Café was open here in Cincinnati for, I think, a little over two years. I worked there and can tell you it was a sweet job to have. The owners were actually not magicians (one was already a very sucessful restaurant owner), so that wasn't the problem.

I just think its a tough business to make work. The posts here seem to confirm that.
Tim Ellis
View Profile
V.I.P.
Melbourne, Australia
1229 Posts

Profile of Tim Ellis
Well here in Melbourne we used to have a fantastic magic-themed restaurant called BABUSHKA (and later MERLINS when it moved to a better location) operated by Peter Gibbins, restranteur and magic fan. It flourished during the 1980's and featured strolling magicians performing table to table including: Barry Govan, Ian Baxter, Doug Tremlett, Terry McSweeney, Duck Cameron, David Jones, Neville Finney, myself and one or two others whose names escape me (sorry). One highlight of the place was the gorgeous magic-themed leadlights created especially for Peter.

The restaurant closed because of a change in tax-laws that meant businessmen could no longer claim dinners with clients as business expenses. A LOT of restaurants went under when that came into effect.

Now we have a magic Café. 'Trick or Treat Magic Café' is located in Ivanhoe and is really two-shops in one. 'Tammii Twister's Magic Factory' (run by Tammii & Tim You) and 'That's Magic Café' (run by Brad & Erin You). They are a Café, magic shop, magic school and party venue. After only a few months they are heading towards 100 magic students and the party room is booked out very well in advance. I did a piece on them in my blog if you're interested.
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2732 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On 2006-01-26 10:05, chichi711 wrote:
I don't know about that Jack. I think if you look around there are some great magicians that happen to be great business men.

One example comes to mind. Is David Copperfield a bad business man? Seems to be doing well in his business if you ask me.

Mark Wilson finished college with a BA or Masters in Business Affairs before beginning as a magician.
"There's no time to lose," I heard her say.
"Catch your dreams before they slip away."
"Dying all the time, lose your dreams and you could lose your mind.
Ain't life unkind?"
IllusionJack
View Profile
Veteran user
Las Vegas, Nevada
376 Posts

Profile of IllusionJack
A little more info on Copperfield's restaurant called "Copperfield Magic Underground..."

There were to be two located - Times Square, NYC and Downtown Disney in Orlando.

The Times Square location was almost completely built, and 10 million dollars of illusions were designed for it. It featured a highly decorated, multi-level dining area. When the project was cancelled, the build was abandoned and the illusions stored in the Las Vegas warehouse.

The building is still there today - it is "Mama Sbarro's" restaurant... it is on Broadway and... not sure which street. Northern end of Times Sq though, near the Broadway Theatre and a bit down from Letterman, I believe. If you go there, you can see the themed exterior walls, although Mama Sbarros (and the now-closed club that was in there, too) are probably not as impressive as DC's place would have been.

Back when this place was getting built, the Copperfield restaurant featured a live webcam pointed at Times Square.

You can see conceptual drawings, and a photo of construction, on an old (and long outdated) personal web page of mine, here:

http://members.aol.com/jackguy22/pictures/dccmu.html

As for the Disney location, lots of advertising was put up, but of course nothing ever opened, unfortunately. You can see pictures of these advertisements, along with an article, here:

http://jimhillmedia.com/mb/articles/showarticle.php?ID=1497

Basically, Copperfield teamed up with a couple of business partners and formed a company called Late Nite Magic. They eventually had various disagreements, amidst the turmoil of the themed-restaurant industry in the late 1990's, and the project was never completed. His partners pulled out, and he never moved forward with it. He still maintains that it was not a "themed restaurant" and might have succeeded, despite the failure of many other "themed" establishments around that time.

I for one hope he gives it another go, as I think it's an awesome concept.

As for other magic themed restaurants... Ceasar's Magical Empire in Las Vegas was the best example I can think of, but it closed a few years ago to make way for Celine Dion's "New Day" show.

I think there is a place near Seattle called "Illusionz," but they may have moved over to strictly video games and no more magic shows.

--Jack Smile
Alexx Argen
View Profile
New user
"New" for 10+ years with only
85 Posts

Profile of Alexx Argen
In niagra falls canada Greg frewin has a dinner thrater called The Greg Frewin Theater. http://www.gregfrewintheatre.com
itrickyou
View Profile
New user
Houston
3 Posts

Profile of itrickyou
Although Magic Island in Houston, Texas has had its ups and downs, it has been in business since 1984! It is similar to the Magic Castle except it is open to the public. Dining is completely separate from the Magic. There is a formal close-up room and strolling Magic in the lounge. The theater is intimate with seating of approximately 200.

I worked there regularly for over twelve years and I have just started to perform there once again. Many famous Magicians have worked at this dinner theater that does not get a lot of attention from the Magic community. My guess for this exclusion is that visiting Magicians are NOT allowed to perform at ANY time.

Jamie Salinas
Jamie Salinas
www.jsmagician.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Magic Themed Restaurants (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.25 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL