The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Paypal? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Joey Stalin
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1072 Posts

Profile of Joey Stalin
Well I just had an account set up not too long ago, took s while for funds from my Canadian bank account to be transfered into my paypal account. I have little to no idea what I am doing with paypal, no experience. Anyway, I tried buying something online, then it said it was going to be paid with an "eCheck", which takes the money from my bank account. Thing is, with a Canadian bank account, it takes longer to clear, so long that I could probably send a money order by mail in the same amount of time. Are all sites the same? Or can I somehow get the funds taken from my paypal account balance instead of my bank account?
-A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic.
-It is easier to fight for one's principles than to live up to them.
-The secret impresses no one. The trick you use it for is everything.

See you space cowboy...
Billgussen
View Profile
Elite user
Central Japan
497 Posts

Profile of Billgussen
Where I live (Japan), there is very little here that uses Paypal. There are Japanese Paypal accounts, but they're mostly used for doing business with other countries.

However, Paypal is useful when buying magic over the Internet. There are a lot of places, especially creator-owned download sites, that sell magic via Paypal. That makes it very convenient for me.

Still, not even all Internet magic shops use it. You have to check each site you go to for the Paypal sign. But for the ones that have it, it makes an easy way to pay.

Bill
Jerrine
View Profile
Special user
Busking is work.
629 Posts

Profile of Jerrine
I would avoid Paypal like a 4 jawed man eating tiger.
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3528 Posts

Profile of gaddy
Quote:
On 2007-09-21 09:58, Jerrine wrote:

really? Why? I wish I could use paypal on the street! not really, but still...
I've heard some real horror stories about paypal, but I've never had any problems with it.
*due to the editorial policies here, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
Josh Riel
View Profile
Inner circle
of hell
1995 Posts

Profile of Josh Riel
I had to get an account, so I set up a separate checking account for it.
You can get a debit card that works off of the paypal account. I don't know whether it's trouble or not, but if you want to get paid through the Internet, it's handy. Paying for something with paypal doesn't seem much riskier than using a credit card.

And I would suppose you would know not to trust any e-mail that tries to get personal info anyway.
Magic is doing improbable things with odd items that, under normal circumstances, would be unnessecary and quite often undesirable.
Jerrine
View Profile
Special user
Busking is work.
629 Posts

Profile of Jerrine
Quote:
On 2007-09-21 15:12, gaddy wrote:
Quote:

I've heard some real horror stories about paypal, but I've never had any problems with it.

I choose not to deal with an entity that operates like a bank but is not regulated as one. Oh, that and the horror stories. A red flag for me is the system works just fine without letting them into your bank account automatically, yet they continue to pitch it endlessly. Perhaps a bad ana1ogy but Roy had no problems with that tiger before either. To be honest I'm not much for real banks either.
Joey Stalin
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1072 Posts

Profile of Joey Stalin
Well if you pay with paypal at mjm magic for example is your only option echeck?

See you space cowboy...
sibbie
View Profile
Special user
East Coast
525 Posts

Profile of sibbie
Quote:
On 2007-09-21 16:18, Jerrine wrote:
Quote:
On 2007-09-21 15:12, gaddy wrote:
Quote:

I choose not to deal with an entity that operates like a bank but is not regulated as one. Oh, that and the horror stories. A red flag for me is the system works just fine without letting them into your bank account automatically, yet they continue to pitch it endlessly. Perhaps a bad ana1ogy but Roy had no problems with that tiger before either. To be honest I'm not much for real banks either.

I have had a couple of issues with PayPal but I have also had some with my bank so it isn't perfect. They are, however, FDIC insured (special type of account) now which hints to some protection.

Also, the reason they want you to fund the account with a bank rather than a credit card is cost. While the end user is perfectly content with using their credit card (which I prefer to do) it is cheaper for PayPal to take money from your checking account than to charge your credit card.
Doug Higley
View Profile
1942 - 2022
7152 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
I keep an amount always IN the PayPal account ba;ance which provides a REAL card that is used like a debit card with Master Card back up. Selling on the internet almost requires using PayPal if you want business. I have used them since...wow...1999? Don't have the start date but never had a problem and there is a 24/7 phone number that is answered right away with excellent customer service.

Linking the bank account allows for quick transfer...My customers pay nothing but I do. If you don't link your bank neither side pays for the transaction but there is a limit as to how much biz you can do before you must link the two accounts.

The convienience is out of the park for me which is why I put up with some hefty charges for overseas sales but without PayPal there wouldn't be any.

Very professional service. I also use it in the real world for most purchases at stores and even Disneyland. The debit card also Pays you back when you use it.

Doug
Higley's Giant Flea Pocket Zibit
Joey Stalin
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1072 Posts

Profile of Joey Stalin
I am still not sure if anyone answered my question lol.

See you space cowboy...
sibbie
View Profile
Special user
East Coast
525 Posts

Profile of sibbie
Joey,

If the money is available in your PayPal balance then PayPal will require you to use the money in your PayPal account before they take any money from a credit card or a bank account. Reason being, it costs them nothing to change it from one account to another but they still charge the business a transaction fee for taking the payment.

I'm not sure what you mean by "are all sites the same"? Do you mean all sites that accept PayPal take the same amount of time to clear or that are other payment systems that are similar to PayPal take the same amount of time?

Hope this helps somewhat.
Joey Stalin
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1072 Posts

Profile of Joey Stalin
So even though it says it's going to be paid via e-check when I go to check out to buy a super magnet man ring, the charge will be taken out of my paypal balance?

What I meant by all the sites the same, for example, if I go to MJM Magic, and select paypal as my payment option would it give me an option of a way to choose or will it just say e-Check like on the SMM site?

See you space cowboy...
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
227 Posts

Profile of balducci
I use PayPal regularly, and I just have my PayPal profile set up to charge my Visa card when I make a purchase. I've never had any problems.
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
Joey Stalin
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1072 Posts

Profile of Joey Stalin
Yeah I don't have a credit card.

When I go to check out on MJM and select paypal as my option, I am taken to a Paypal site, I sign in to confirm the order, and it only give the option of echeck.

See you space cowboy...
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
3174 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
When you pay with paypal, it comes out of your paypal funds that you have in the paypal account. If you don't have enough in the account it then comes out of the bank or credit card that you have on file with them. It sounds to me like mjm magic only takes e-checks.

Tom
Joey Stalin
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1072 Posts

Profile of Joey Stalin
Well I went through with the SMM and it took it out of my paypal balance. I am a paypal virgin no longer

See you space cowboy...
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
3174 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
Sounds good Joey. Just keep enough in your account and it should work that way all the time. I've had a paypal account for years and never had a problem.

Tom
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6437 Posts

Profile of NJJ
Paypal is a scam, a dodge and a swindle.

http://www.paypalwarning.com
http://www.paypalstinks.com/
rossmacrae
View Profile
Inner circle
Arlington, Virginia
2477 Posts

Profile of rossmacrae
Sorry, Nicholas, I disagree - every system has its flaws, and so does Paypal - but it makes me a bundle of cash every year and I've never had a single problem with it.
See the BALLYCAST Sideshow Blog & Podcast

There is no "way to peace." Peace is the way.
doormouse
View Profile
Regular user
152 Posts

Profile of doormouse
No, Nicholas is right. PayPal can freeze and seize your money for no reason. No one holds them accountable for anything. They don't even give a reason for their actions. They are currently holding over $1000.00 of my money. When I inquired they said because I violated a user agreement and that they have the right to seize and hold my money for 6 months. I am out a lot of money and was never given a specific reason. Whether I see it in 6 months or not who knows. THIS IS STEALING and you can't do anything about it. And as far as they making you a lot of money, it was you making yourself a lot of money and I am sure PayPal ripped off the cream.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Paypal? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL