The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Another new coin in bottle: Abyss 2 (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
Andy Ace
View Profile
New user
Singapore
50 Posts

Profile of Andy Ace
Quote:
On 2007-09-21 18:12, gmmagic124 wrote:
Sealed, re sealed..same to me.

In any case, it doesn't seem like you can do it 100% impromptu.
If the clean up is anything at all like the old abyss, then I don't see the major revolutionary aspect here.
Full bottle and sealed bottles have been done before. Where have they been?

If the bottle is really factory sealed, it cannot be done 100% impromptu. I don't see any 100% impromptu coin through factory sealed bottle on the market.

I don't think the clean up is like the old abyss. If you need to do that clean up, then the audience will not be able to take the sealed bottle home.
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4821 Posts

Profile of gdw
Quote:
On 2007-09-21 17:22, THEGUY26 wrote:
"The next kicker is that the coin is genuinely trapped inside the bottle and impossible to get out. The coin is far too large to get in or out of the bottle and remains fixed permanently in this impossible condition."

I didn't see anything on there that said "small coin".

I was told all those things about Impervious by someone who knew a lot about the trick, so it's not really my fault, and I am sorry for saying those things.

There actually is a way to do those things with Impervious.

You really need to learn how to read magic adds.

There are several different handlings with this. That much is clear.

The different statements apply to different handlings.

What you quoted says NOTHING about the coin being signed , or the bottle sealed. Meaning that one handling allows for a large coin to end up in an opened bottle.

ANOTHER completely separate handling allows for a smaller signed coin to end up in a "sealed" bottle.

Now, let's look at the word "sealed." "Factory Sealed" implys an unbroken seal around the lid. We should all know that often when something in magic is presented as "sealed" (an envelope, a deck of cards) it very well could have been previously unsealded and the re-sealed. I have no problem with ads using the term "factory sealed" even though it would technically be "magician sealed." My acceptance of this is due to the fact that we know what is meant, and saying "a bottle with that little ring under the cap being un-broken" is a bit much. Smile

Now, as for SEALED on it's own, well, ask yourself, if you were performing, and you put the cap on a bottle, would you say to the spectator that the bottle is now sealed and there is no way to get anything inside?

Or, if you filled a bottle with watter to take with you somewhere, you would make sure it was "sealed" before putting it in your bag or something, wouldn't you?

So, "sealed" on it's own, does not explicitly mean the safety seal is un-broken.

This little lesson in reading magic ads has been brought to you by the letter "g," and the number's 6, 6, 6.
It's amazing, people will criticize you for "biting the hand that feeds you," while they're busy praising the hand that beats them.

"You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one."

I won't forget you Robert.
VcosNJ
View Profile
Inner circle
1180 Posts

Profile of VcosNJ
Hmm seems like the standard for coin in bottle is becoming increasingly impossible by the minute with all these effects out on the market. This is the year of CIB. I just find it funny that whenever a new CIB comes out, people will nitpick it to death because "it's not visual, too much hand movement, finger placement, sealed or unsealed..". At least there's several very good and viable options for CIB for those interested in the plot. Smile
houston_3721
View Profile
Regular user
140 Posts

Profile of houston_3721
I don't own the original Abyss so I don't know about the gimmick, set-up and clean-up. However this new Abyss looks clean for me, at least from what I see in the video. A coin is seen in the bottle after the open penetration and the hand is shown empty fairly I can say.

It looks nice. But set-up time and practicality are really important no matter how strong the effect is. So more reviews will be welcomed! Smile

I am still yet to watch and learn Impervious. Different CIBs have different strong and weak points. So more CIBs on the market will improve everyone's options, which is a good thing. At the end of the day, the one suits our own style will do. No competition, but improvement in magic.
please pardon my English
THEGUY26 (Will Swanson)
View Profile
Inner circle
Minnesota, USA
2379 Posts

Profile of THEGUY26 (Will Swanson)
Alright, I finally found that whole small coin thing (my eyes are bad from doing the thread from eye trick. I do it about 10 times a day). It is another routine, and we're not talking about that right now. I still really do think we're dealing with a factory sealed bottle. Why would they need to make such a big deal about the lid being screwed on? Obviously the lid is screwed on, or the water would spill out. I do have my own ways of doing a signed coin in bottle where the bottle is factory sealed, and the seal has truly never been broken, and the bottle can be kept by the spectator.
Andy Ace
View Profile
New user
Singapore
50 Posts

Profile of Andy Ace
Quote:
On 2007-09-22 10:14, THEGUY26 wrote:
Alright, I finally found that whole small coin thing (my eyes are bad from doing the thread from eye trick. I do it about 10 times a day). It is another routine, and we're not talking about that right now. I still really do think we're dealing with a factory sealed bottle. Why would they need to make such a big deal about the lid being screwed on? Obviously the lid is screwed on, or the water would spill out.

Yup, I trust the ad. The bottle is factory sealed and the audiences can keep the bottle.

Quote:
I do have my own ways of doing a signed coin in bottle where the bottle is factory sealed, and the seal has truly never been broken, and the bottle can be kept by the spectator.

Sounds great! Maybe you can show a video of it soon?
THEGUY26 (Will Swanson)
View Profile
Inner circle
Minnesota, USA
2379 Posts

No, I don't have a video camera. I will post a review, though.
Y2John
View Profile
Inner circle
1498 Posts

Profile of Y2John
I know a way also to have a bottle where the seal has genuinely never been broken... but the set-up is pretty time consuming
THEGUY26 (Will Swanson)
View Profile
Inner circle
Minnesota, USA
2379 Posts

Yeah, but you can also buy sealed bottle caps.
Y2John
View Profile
Inner circle
1498 Posts

Profile of Y2John
Lol oh yeah... I have a whole pack in my cupboard from when I was playing around with bottle effects, and I forgot completely about them till now
jonxodus
View Profile
Veteran user
San Diego, CA
305 Posts

Profile of jonxodus
I don't know about this, I didn't really like the old abyss CIB so if it uses the same principle than its a big no for me. Will be waiting for your review GUY
THEGUY26 (Will Swanson)
View Profile
Inner circle
Minnesota, USA
2379 Posts

I heard from someone who has it, that they don't lie in the description at all, and it really is a factory sealed bottle.
Y2John
View Profile
Inner circle
1498 Posts

Profile of Y2John
Same here
gmmagic124
View Profile
Special user
751 Posts

Profile of gmmagic124
Quote:
the coin and bottle are not shown clearly as seperate objects before the penetration.

I see. At the end they just show the 'display' of a coin in the bottle.
Not too hard to accomplish a 'display' like that.

Quote:
On 2007-09-21 13:58, Andy Ace wrote:
Btw the effects shown can all be achieved using the old Abyss gimmick.

That's what it looks like to me too for the penetrations. Just because the bottle is inverted doesn't really change much.

Thanks for the info, Andy.
Andy Ace
View Profile
New user
Singapore
50 Posts

Profile of Andy Ace
Quote:
Quote:
On 2007-09-21 13:58, Andy Ace wrote:
Btw the effects shown can all be achieved using the old Abyss gimmick.

That's what it looks like to me too for the penetrations. Just because the bottle is inverted doesn't really change much.

Thanks for the info, Andy.

Hey gnmagic124, try not to put words in my mouth. Did you read the post I quoted below?

After I knew that the sealed bottle can be given away, I said that it is unlikely they are using the old gimmick.

I don't have any solid info of this effect. All comments are based on my observations.

Quote:
On 2007-09-21 16:36, Andy Ace wrote:

I highly doubt they are using the old gimmick if the bottle is sealed and can be given away.
gmmagic124
View Profile
Special user
751 Posts

Profile of gmmagic124
How is quoting you putting words in your mouth?

You need to read my post more carefully, young man.

I said for the "penetration" part.
The penetration looks like the same gimmick as before.

I wouldn't be surprised if it is. If so, the same clean up would be involved.
JustinClark
View Profile
New user
66 Posts

Profile of JustinClark
So is anyone who ACTUALLY owns this going to comment or is everyone going to sit here and speculate?
knickz4lyfe20
View Profile
Regular user
122 Posts

Profile of knickz4lyfe20
Quote:
On 2007-09-23 14:17, JustinClark wrote:
So is anyone who ACTUALLY owns this going to comment or is everyone going to sit here and speculate?

mine is being sent out tomorrow via penguinmagic through priority mail
ill give it a review based on the package and method when I get it, and a more thorough review when I use it on a spectator. I really hope this is practical
Andy Ace
View Profile
New user
Singapore
50 Posts

Profile of Andy Ace
Cannot wait to see a full reivew of it! =)
gmmagic124
View Profile
Special user
751 Posts

Profile of gmmagic124
Quote:
Do you own Abyss btw?

Yes. When I first saw it, I liked it a lot.
Then, I realized it wasn't as clean as it looked in the original demo.
(probably because they cut away the end quite quickly)
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Another new coin in bottle: Abyss 2 (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL