The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Incredible Dancing Paper Napkin (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
MagicMan1957
View Profile
Inner circle
1447 Posts

Profile of MagicMan1957
For some reason I get the comment "look he is controlling SOMETHING with his hand"

Still a great effect. Does anyone else hear that comment?
Mike Brezler
View Profile
Inner circle
Waynesboro, Pa.
1114 Posts

Profile of Mike Brezler
This DVD is fantastic! I really liked the comedy of the tips section and a guy showing up everywhere asking questions about the gimmick.

Instructions 10/10
Ease of constructing gimmick 10/10
Reaction of audience 10/10
Eddie Garland
View Profile
Inner circle
Hells Kitchen, New York City
4208 Posts

Profile of Eddie Garland
Yep...there is absolutely everything right about this product, effect and DVD.
one funny magic boy
View Profile
New user
12 Posts

Profile of one funny magic boy
Quote:
On 2007-11-04 19:02, MagicMan1957 wrote:
For some reason I get the comment "look he is controlling SOMETHING with his hand"

Still a great effect. Does anyone else hear that comment?

Hello MagicMan1957: I was performing the incredible dancing paper napkin at a restaurant one time and had a small child yell out, "you're moving it with your thumb!" I said, "what thumb?" while lifting the hand that was doing the gimmick and switched to the other hand. I have found that if you switch hands often you won't get that comment anymore. Just keep it moving a lot. Good luck!
Tivoli
View Profile
Loyal user
Paris (France)
252 Posts

Profile of Tivoli
Hi Folks

Perhpas if you work on it a litle more longer at home, you will not have those types of comment Smile
Arthur
Arthur Tivoli
Fantaisiste-Magicien
www.arthurtivoli.com
RicHeka
View Profile
Inner circle
3999 Posts

Profile of RicHeka
Quote:
On 2007-11-05 03:25, Tivoli wrote:
Hi Folks

Perhpas if you work on it a litle more longer at home, you will not have those types of comment Smile
Arthur

I agree Arthur.This is definitely an effect where 'routining' is paramount.I believe if you begin by performing the basic bendover move you have a greater chance of being called for hand/thumb shenanigans.

I suggest starting very slowly..perhaps making it come to life as with interlocking fingers display on the DVD...then have it try to escape a couple of times.You can alway's end with the basic move before crumpleing.

p.s.Although napkins work fine I prefer using Kleenex/tissue when available.

Rich
one funny magic boy
View Profile
New user
12 Posts

Profile of one funny magic boy
Hi Rich,I prefer Kleenex/tissue too. It's much more flexible, plus doing it on stage it just makes more sense to grab a tissue than to grab a napkin. Also, you can pre-load the gimmick and leave it in the Kleenex box and be ready to perform at any time. I am personally having a blast with this trick!! I love it!
Alan Patrick
View Profile
New user
34 Posts

Profile of Alan Patrick
Ok...i just received this yesterday...and I'm impressed!

first of all..there's no way I would have thought of this...but its genius..lol..i havent tried it yet but I'm going to go get the need stuff and cant wait to try it out..needless to say I'm excited to use this...im already thinking of a number of routines.

A must have for sure! Def. a good buy!

AP
David Allen
View Profile
New user
Atlanta, Georgia
22 Posts

Profile of David Allen
Hey everyone. I found out we have the #2 Best Selling DVD in the December issue of GENII. That is awsome! Thank you everyone for your great support of our product. Just wait...you aint seen nothin' yet from MacGyver magic. Keep your eyes peeled for us in 2008.

Merry Christmas everyone!!

Dave
Mr. Ree
View Profile
Elite user
Sedona AZ
414 Posts

Profile of Mr. Ree
Quite clever.
Simple.
Low cost.
Fun.
Worth the cost of the DVD

But spend some time and learn to do it right,
work out a good routine it’s worth it.

Another (unnamed) version of a dancing hank
cost me just over a $100 and it does not move as
nice as the “Incredible Dancing Paper Napkin”.

Because of the ripped-off feeling of the previous
purchase I almost passed on the “Incredible Dancing Paper Napkin”.
But I am glad I took the chance.
An idea can turn to dust or magic, depending on the talent that rubs against it.
---- William Bernbach (1911 - 1982) ----

(After 25 years of PCs, everything switched to Macs, June 2008)
Larry Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Potomac, MD
5267 Posts

Profile of Larry Davidson
Quote:
On 2007-10-31 19:16, Potty the Pirate wrote:
"...So 'install' the gimmick in the men's room...."

Quote:
On 2007-11-01 04:41, one funny magic boy wrote:
"...remember in magic the big movement covers the little movement...."

You guys are sick. Smile
magicduro
View Profile
Special user
Las Vegas
529 Posts

Profile of magicduro
PM me if you are interested in selling or trading this DVD. Sounds great!

Mike
Steve Hook
View Profile
Inner circle
Raleigh, NC, USA
1265 Posts

Profile of Steve Hook
Having worked with this a bit now, it's more obvious how charming this is and how much kids and even adults (especially women) like this.

The instructions are given by Scott Francis, a successful comedian/magician. He and David Allen made the DVD in an entertaining way, so it was fun to watch while learning about the gizmo and presentation. The DVD explains everything in detail, including not only the basics, but also how to prepare for and do repeat performances.

I can see more possibilities on the horizon re alternative loading techniques and presentational angles. (I've been thinking about this since I had a great idea about loading in a specific situation explained to me last week.)

There is more to this beyond the basics of transport and presentation. It's hard to discuss these ideas on the Web without revealing the basic information. Maybe there could be a supplemental DVD with a chunk of the discoveries and suggestions people are coming up with?? Just a thought.

In the meantime, I like this and audiences like this. The method is simple and the presentations are boundless.
Like Bonnie Raitt said, "I miss Little Feat more than I miss being 8 years old." Thanks for the concerts + recordings, Lowell, Richie, and Paul!
Lou Hilario
View Profile
Inner circle
2227 Posts

Profile of Lou Hilario
I just got this today. I do the complete Sean Bogunia Dancing Hank Act and this is a great after show follow up assuming I'm still at the venue or the client / producers invite me for dinner or drinks after.
Very simple, ingenious and practical device. Also, I enjoyed the way the dvd was composed. Quite entertaining.
Magic, Illusions, Juggling, Puppet & Parrot Show ^0^
http://www.louhilario.net
randirain
View Profile
Inner circle
Fort Worth, TX
1627 Posts

Profile of randirain
I have found that the special gimmick is best made from Walmart brand.. umm.. things.
It's thicker and stronger than the ones I have found at the grocery store.

Randi
RicHeka
View Profile
Inner circle
3999 Posts

Profile of RicHeka
Quote:
On 2008-01-10 18:53, randirain wrote:
I have found that the special gimmick is best made from Walmart brand.. umm.. things.

Randi

I agree.
Some of the cheap grocery brands are very whimpy.

Also,...and this is just my take...the DVD may you give the impression that this can be effectively done for a long period of time.IMO...this is definitely one of those effects where 'less is more'.Surprise them with it...do a little dance..get down,and get out.
I don't give the viewers a chance to analyze[not that they would ever guess the method]..which after more than 20 seconds or so they seem to do[in my experience].
It can be Big Fun though.

Rich
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Rich, you are absolutely correct.....
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Quote:
On 2008-01-10 20:22, PaleoMagi wrote:
Quote:
On 2008-01-10 18:53, randirain wrote:

Randi

I agree.
Some of the cheap grocery brands are very whimpy.

Also,...and this is just my take...the DVD may you give the impression that this can be effectively done for a long period of time.IMO...this is definitely one of those effects where 'less is more'.Surprise them with it...do a little dance..get down,and get out.
I don't give the viewers a chance to analyze[not that they would ever guess the method]..which after more than 20 seconds or so they seem to do[in my experience].
It can be Big Fun though.

Rich

EXACTLY!!! I hope everyone follows your advice.

Lay people are not dumb or blind.
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
6956 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Thank you everyone for your reviews, especially Randi Rain. I figure this, if Randi likes it, then I know not to look any further. I totally trust her.

This is quite a find. I'm really glad I ran across this thread! I just put in MY order!

Doug
Lou Hilario
View Profile
Inner circle
2227 Posts

Profile of Lou Hilario
I am planning to make a thicker gimmick so I could use it with an 18" silk for stage use. Hmmmm, what could it be.
Magic, Illusions, Juggling, Puppet & Parrot Show ^0^
http://www.louhilario.net
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Incredible Dancing Paper Napkin (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL