The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Incredible Dancing Paper Napkin (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
Mikeal
View Profile
New user
60 Posts

Profile of Mikeal
Anyone have this?
There is a nice demo. The guy seems to do a good job with it.
Anyone know if this is impromptu or is there a gimmick?

http://www.mjmmagic.com/store/incredible......056.html
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
I've a question. You seem very much into the idea of 'impromptu'. How are you defining impromptu? I have a feeling your ideas of it are different than mine are or those of many if not most experienced magicians.
Mikeal
View Profile
New user
60 Posts

Profile of Mikeal
I am an experienced magician, 10+ years if that counts, but the use of the word impromptu seems to mean many things to magicians these days and is used rather loosely.

Some magicians mean no gimmicks but with set-up or prep. on the site (i.e. like Greg Wilson 5000 Vanish)
Some mean with gimmicks but no set-up (i.e Loops).
Some mean borrowed and unprepared (i.e. CMH's).
Some mean "looks" impromptu - which is the worst use of the word.
Steve Hook
View Profile
Inner circle
Raleigh, NC, USA
1266 Posts

Profile of Steve Hook
There's a 2 1/2 cent gimmick which you easily carry in your pocket. You use any unprepared napkin.

As a magic effect, it's no "10" but I think the charm factor is an "8 to 10" for the right spectators. Bingo: Cool, worthwhile idea for anyone in the right venue!
Like Bonnie Raitt said, "I miss Little Feat more than I miss being 8 years old." Thanks for the concerts + recordings, Lowell, Richie, and Paul!
wise owl
View Profile
Special user
Australia
721 Posts

Profile of wise owl
Does the gimmick inlcuded? Or I need to make it myself
Gilgamesh_The_Librarian
View Profile
Elite user
408 Posts

Profile of Gilgamesh_The_Librarian
Whilst I don't subscribe to the theory that there are no bad tricks , only bad magicians, I do think that real pro's can get great milage out of decent, if not earth shattering effects.

It says it all to me that here is a real life demo where the effect was used to close an act and got a really great response from the audience. A lot down to the performance but it shows what a neat trick this can be in the right hands.

Definitely interested in this.
tophatter
View Profile
Inner circle
connecticut
3341 Posts

Profile of tophatter
Reminds me of the Rigid hank !
Vinnie Laraway
View Profile
Inner circle
1272 Posts

Profile of Vinnie Laraway
This effect does look nice, but I dislike the face that you cant hand it out after it is crumpled up. I think a switch for an ungimmicked balled up napkin would be nice if anyone asks... Or just switch it anyway, and non-nonchalantly leave it on the table.

-Vinnie
Mikeal
View Profile
New user
60 Posts

Profile of Mikeal
I don't know that it can't be handed out. But I don't have this. I'd imagine aside from switching there are ways around this.
I think if you just throw it away no one would question.
Ustaad
View Profile
Inner circle
Iindia - States
6157 Posts

Profile of Ustaad
Quote:
On 2007-09-21 20:53, Mikeal wrote:
I think if you just throw it away no one would question.

Yes, it's a better way of handling the situation.

Smile
MAGIC is a SECRET, without the SECRET there is no MAGIC.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke.
Highland
View Profile
New user
41 Posts

Profile of Highland
Maybe tearing it up to pieces would be good proof and show everyone the show is over and the napkin is normal.
gmmagic124
View Profile
Special user
751 Posts

Profile of gmmagic124
Lot of blackin the background
TomKMagic
View Profile
Special user
I tripped over
620 Posts

Profile of TomKMagic
Quote:
On 2007-09-21 14:45, Steve Hook wrote:
There's a 2 1/2 cent gimmick which you easily carry in your pocket. You use any unprepared napkin.

Where do I get a 1/2 cent?

I don't like the fact that he has the napkin in his hand, then he moves toward the tip of it and does "something" then shortly after, he makes it move back and forth.

I do like the suggestion of tearing it when finished, then you could lay the pieces on the table, and steal away only what is necessary.
You must be smarter than the tools you are using...

Tom Kracker
My website
Steve Hook
View Profile
Inner circle
Raleigh, NC, USA
1266 Posts

Profile of Steve Hook
Highland: The napkin is taken off the spec's table before starting. Proving at the end is the wrong psychology.

gmmagic124: Black in the background has nothing to do with the method.

TomKMagic: I guess you're trying to be funny abt the 1/2 cent. But for the record, that's an average cost spread over many performances.

Tom, you saw the same entire routine as we all did. If you don't like the handling, then for gosh sakes don't buy the trick!

But suggesting handlings of the gimmick which I don't believe you yet have could be misleading to anyone else who buys it.

The gimmick is bigger than a 1/2 cent and smaller than your original solution for this trick, which you published on your website:
http://my.voyager.net/~tomk/ANGLE1.JPG

Scott's version uses less than half as many batteries.

~ Steve H
Like Bonnie Raitt said, "I miss Little Feat more than I miss being 8 years old." Thanks for the concerts + recordings, Lowell, Richie, and Paul!
Highland
View Profile
New user
41 Posts

Profile of Highland
Steve,
I disagree that tearing the napkin in such a routine would be wrong psychology. I will not say that you are wrong. I will just accept that we see it differently. To me the ordinary napkin has been given life and becomes an animated free thinking object. To end the routine the napkin either must continue living, or the life must be removed from it. Tearing it up gives an end to the routine and removes the existence of life. The purpose is not to prove there is nothing hidden like a gimmick. It is to prove the napkin has returned to a normal inanimate lifeless napkin.
I guess eating the napkin is a way of ending, but crumpling leaves a bit of curiousity as to whether it is still alive or not. This leaves the ending open. Throwing the crumpled napkin as mentioned above would help end.

I do agree with you though, making a comment or suggestion of a possible presentation without owning it was wrong of me. I was only trying to add to what seems like a useful piece of magic.
wise owl
View Profile
Special user
Australia
721 Posts

Profile of wise owl
I don't know the psy behind. But if you takes the napkin frm the spec, is it a bit rude to destroy it rather than return it back?

Hopes that destroy the napkin is an option rather than necessary for the trick?
Chad Sanborn
View Profile
Inner circle
my fingers hurt from typing,
2205 Posts

Profile of Chad Sanborn
Does anybody have this yet who can give and honest review?

Chad
Xcath1
View Profile
Inner circle
3065 Posts

Profile of Xcath1
I have it. I like it. There is an easy (and I mean easy) and inexpensive to make gimmick. This is coming from someone who feels that most “easy” to make gimmicks are not worth the time or expense, especially if they are single use as this is. The effect looks just like the demo, no more, no less. Practically speaking you cannot hand out the same napkin used for the routine. I think this is a fair thing to ask on a forum without tipping method. The gimmick is added to a plain napkin, becomes integral to it and then can not really be removed. It is however so cheap and quick to make that you would think nothing of throwing it away. You would not swallow it so to me, putting it in your mouth is only effective possibly as a deterrent to a spectator examining the napkin. I certainly think the trick is worth the asking price
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
All the complainers just don't get it. This is a solid commercial item and who cares how it is done? Frankly I would do about 30-45 seconds and that's it. Great item.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
It looks wonderful. This would be so much fun in a bar/restaurant.

Pete, GREAT new photo!
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Incredible Dancing Paper Napkin (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL