The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Replacement clip for lavalier mike? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

sethb
View Profile
Inner circle
The Jersey Shore
2693 Posts

Profile of sethb
I have a PASO 50 portable PA system with a lav (lapel) mike that's been working well for me.

But the little plastic clip that holds the mike to my collar broke! I tried Radio Shack, but they don't sell a mike clip separately from their own lav mike, which is $25.

Can anybody suggest a source for these, and preferably one that is made of metal, not plastic? Thanks. SETH
"Watch the Professor!!" -- Al Flosso (1895-1976)
"The better you are, the closer they watch" -- Darwin Ortiz, STRONG MAGIC
Stevethomas
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern U.S.A.
3728 Posts

Profile of Stevethomas
I had that same problem with my Gemini lavalier that I used to own, and I had also lost the foam windscreens that came with it. Called the company, and they sent me replacements at no charge. That's customer service! Call the company (not the supplier) and see what they'll do for you!

Steve Thomas
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3999 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
In a pinch, try a small bulldog clip with the "handles" removed.
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
sethb
View Profile
Inner circle
The Jersey Shore
2693 Posts

Profile of sethb
Thanks, guys, for the suggestions. I'm in the middle of the Fall festival season and couldn't afford to mess around with this -- I needed a really quick fix.

After Googling around a bit, I located a company that sells replacement METAL lav mike clips, and ordered two, so I'd have a spare if needed. Click HERE to see the new clip. This site also sells a number of other "all-purpose" replacement clips from Shure and others, but this one looked the most promising.

I'll let you know how they work out, and how the service is from this company. In the meantime, I took a shirt clip off of a BIC pen, glued it to a spring clip, and used that as my emergency fix. It's not pretty, but it works! Meanwhile, I'll also contact PASO and see if they'll send me a replacement clip anyway -- that's a good suggestion. SETH
sethb
View Profile
Inner circle
The Jersey Shore
2693 Posts

Profile of sethb
For the rest of the story -- I ordered the two replacement A-T mike clips on Saturday afternoon, and they arrived here via UPS on Wednesday afternoon. Now THAT's service!

And best of all, the clip fits the PASO mike perfectly, I don't need to do anything to it. Since it's made of metal, hopefully it will last a lot longer than the original plastic doodad that came with the mike. For $8 I solved my problem fast, and hopefully it will now stay solved for a while. SETH
JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3399 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
To change the subject a bit, I was wondering if anyone makes a generic headset that you could clip a lapel microphone into? Thanks.

Jim
Oh, my friend we're older but no wiser, for in our hearts the dreams are still the same...
Dan McLean Jr aka, Magic Roadie
View Profile
Special user
Toronto, Canada
793 Posts

Profile of Dan McLean Jr aka, Magic Roadie
The Sennheiser NB2 headset adapter is the only one I know of. It comes in black or beige.

The rubber-like portion has a grove all the way along its top. Your lav mic's cable tucks into the groove so that in enters the holder behind your ear, and exits such that the mic sticks out just behind the corner of your mouth. It's bendable for appropriate placement.

As with ANY headset, placement of an omni is very easy, and you'd have to be much more particular with the placement of a uni/card.
Cheers from Toronto!

Click here to view attached image.
Dan McLean Jr
www.MagicRoadie.com
"Taking the mystery out of stage technology!"
sethb
View Profile
Inner circle
The Jersey Shore
2693 Posts

Profile of sethb
Although I've never looked into it, some companies such as Anchor offer something called a "collar mike."

Apparently it's some sort of gizmo that goes around your neck, rests on your shoulders and holds a lav mike near your chin. Sort of like a "gimcrack" for lav mikes. SETH
cardcaptor
View Profile
Loyal user
tagaytay, philippines
257 Posts

Profile of cardcaptor
I don't use collar microphone, I alwayse use my shure headset, because if youre using a headset your voice will be clearer and even if you don't talk loudly you can be heard clearly by the audience because of the goodness of the mic.

try to look at shure website and sennheiser website, this is the two brands that I like to recomend if your going to look for a headworn microphone.

thanks!
ILLUMINATI: Brotherhood knowing to be unusually enlightened with regard to the art of magic.

in memory of... SWIFTSHIFTER

"The art that purports to control or forecast natural events, effects, or forces by invoking the supernatural"
JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3399 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
Thank you, Dan. Changing my lapel mike into a headset mike will improve the volume while allowing me to also lower the output of my amp which will also reduce the likelihood of feedback. At least, that is my assumption.

Jim
Oh, my friend we're older but no wiser, for in our hearts the dreams are still the same...
Dan McLean Jr aka, Magic Roadie
View Profile
Special user
Toronto, Canada
793 Posts

Profile of Dan McLean Jr aka, Magic Roadie
Quote:
On 2007-09-28 19:50, JamesinLA wrote:
Thank you, Dan. Changing my lapel mike into a headset mike will improve the volume while allowing me to also lower the output of my amp which will also reduce the likelihood of feedback. At least, that is my assumption.

Jim

You're welcome. James. You are also CORRECT!

Before you buy an adapter, though, place the mic just behind the corner of your mouth. Try the system. Move the mic down to your old "chest" position, and note the difference in loudness. This will show you exactly how effectual the change will be.

Make sure that moving the mic to this louder position is not overloading the beltpack. If it is, then you may be able to adjust the "gain" on the beltpack itself, because it may have a tiny volume control or switch.
Cheers!
Dan McLean Jr
www.MagicRoadie.com
"Taking the mystery out of stage technology!"
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Replacement clip for lavalier mike? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL