The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Any Entomologists? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Josh the Superfluous
View Profile
Inner circle
The man of
1881 Posts

Profile of Josh the Superfluous
For the past week, my daughter has had an active ant farm. When the harvester ants arrived a third of them were dead. Since then, the other ants have been very involved with their bodies. They've set up cemeteries in several locations, moving them every couple of days or so. Whenever we feed them, I've noticed them taking the deceased, one at a time, and placing them on top of the food, and then taking them away. Today I put some food in a location that was difficult for them to reach, and they still scaled slippery plastic with the dead. Is this normal?
What do you want in a site? "Honesty, integrity and decency." -Mike Doogan
"I hate it, I hate my ironic lovechild. I didn't even have anything to do with it" Josh #2
Bill Hallahan
View Profile
Inner circle
New Hampshire
3226 Posts

Profile of Bill Hallahan
From The New York Times Archives:
Quote:
Q. What do ants do with the dead ants you see them carefully carrying away?

A. "They eat them," said a spokeswoman for the Entomological Society of America in Lanham, Md.

There are no ant burial grounds, and most species do not waste the nutritional value of their dead compatriots because of any squeamishness about cannibalism, she indicated.
Humans make life so interesting. Do you know that in a universe so full of wonders, they have managed to create boredom. Quite astonishing.
- The character of ‘Death’ in the movie "Hogswatch"
Josh the Superfluous
View Profile
Inner circle
The man of
1881 Posts

Ha! Wrong lady. Good find Bill. And I usually side with the scientists. Smile
"I hate it, I hate my ironic lovechild. I didn't even have anything to do with it" Josh #2
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
227 Posts

Profile of balducci
I'm not so sure you can judge the lady scientist wrong so quickly. The ants may be willing to eat their former compatriots, but prefer the regular ant food you are still supplying.

Try not feeding them for a week or two or three and see if they start dining on the ant corpses.
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
Josh the Superfluous
View Profile
Inner circle
The man of
1881 Posts

True, I'd think any living omnivore probably would. But they do seem to bury them together, and they seem to be caring for them by placing them one at a time on the food.
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
What you observe is what is going on in the farm. If they are using the bodies as ways to build up their lil' world then that is what they are doing. Have fun with the lil' guys.
leapinglizards
View Profile
Inner circle
1263 Posts

Profile of leapinglizards
It occurs to me that perhaps, gross as this may sound, they were using the food you provide as, uh, "dipping sauce."

Or maybe they are trying to see if the other ants are sleeping. And if they don't eat within a week or two, they become dinner?
Leaping Lizards!!! Who knew it was possible.
<BR>
<BR>www.LeapingLizardsMagic.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Any Entomologists? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL