The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Parakeet production on Stage? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Kyle^Ravin
View Profile
Inner circle
I slammed my head against
1070 Posts

Profile of Kyle^Ravin
Ok here goes, I tried producing a parakeet from a silk ribbon using Womach's Gizmo and I had a lil problem...It was a normal stage show, say for an audience of like 200/300. The reaction I got from the audience was not one which I had expected to get. It seemed to me as if they could not see the parakeet. My question is, DO you guys have the same problem and what do you do to ESTABLISH the production of a parakeet. Are parakeet productions really Feasible on stage??
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
I never use a parakeet. The only bird I used so far are doves. Was the lighting good? Was it a solid color item back stage of the parakeet?, because contrast is important. Did the parakeet flap her wings? Did you make a move requesting an applause? Or it could of been each person did not want to be the first to show an applause. The best way to find out is to try it a few more times, then add everything together.
Kyle^Ravin
View Profile
Inner circle
1070 Posts

Profile of Kyle^Ravin
Honestly, She did flap, its a white bird so its jus like a dove...the audience did applaud but its was not one with wow...Maybe a few more tries will set things straight. Maybe I should stick to parakeets in house and backyard parties. thanks Mike!
mattmccoy
View Profile
Loyal user
203 Posts

Profile of mattmccoy
Maybe training the bird to fly from your hand to your shoulder, or something. The bird also needs to contrast from your costume and silk you use to produce it. Say if you wear a black or blue costume and use a black or blue silk, you might want to produce a pink or yellow parakeet. Hope this helps. Have never worked with parakeets, just using my stage craft and applying it to bird magic.

-Matt
Wade Live
View Profile
Veteran user
Earth
322 Posts

Profile of Wade Live
http://www.magicalbirds.com Buy Daves parakeet video. End of story. haha! U will learn a TONNNNN from his video.

Wadini
DaveWomach
View Profile
Elite user
Dave Womach
453 Posts

Profile of DaveWomach
I have found that by having the bird jump to my shoulder, or run up to it, really shows off that yes it is a bird. In over 1,100 shows of using parakeets, I have always been able to get a reaction, and I say that in the most humble way. I think that if you can have a chance to look at your video of your performance and ask youself what you wish you did differently, you'll be able to fix the problem.

Here are a couple solutions:
1) Leave your parakeet full flighted and train it to fly back to you after it appears.
2) If you clip the wings, quickly turn your fingers so the bird is caught slightly off balance and flaps his wings really hard. In the process he will step up to the next finger, and also attract a lot of attention.
3) Have him jump to your shoulder.
4) Have him walk across a bright colored rope from you to a prop, so he passes in front of your black backdrop. This gives animation to the effect to show he's real, shows that you can train your parakeet, and gives the audience that "awww..." feeling.

Just a few thoughts. I wish you the best of luck.

Dave
Kyle^Ravin
View Profile
Inner circle
1070 Posts

Profile of Kyle^Ravin
Thanks a lot Dave. I'm still sourcing for ur secrets of bird magic series and cant find them...do you have any left to sell?? I'm looking for DVDS
DaveWomach
View Profile
Elite user
Dave Womach
453 Posts

Profile of DaveWomach
I do have a couple of VHS left. email me DaveWomach@Yahoo.com, and we can work out a deal if you'd like.
Kyle^Ravin
View Profile
Inner circle
1070 Posts

Profile of Kyle^Ravin
Thing is, I don't have a VHS player...looking for dvds...any help??
magicodine
View Profile
Loyal user
italy
202 Posts

Profile of magicodine
I also have the same problem. Actually people do react with a big "ooooooooooh" but they realize there is a bird a few seconds after it is produced...
DaveWomach
View Profile
Elite user
Dave Womach
453 Posts

Profile of DaveWomach
They get a reaction for being "cute". I've been able to do it in front of audiences as large as 3,000 people, and get reactions. The reaction comes more from them running up or down my arm. I also have some parakeets that are fly back birds. So they appear, fly out, and come back to me just like doves would. They always get the better reaction that the parakeet that doesn't fly. As for fly back training check out my dvd at http://www.magicalbirds.com. The DVD called Taming Training and Tricks vol 4 (flight). It teaches some of the basics. Also, my new DVD at the top of the page teaches how to "target train" which can easily be used for flight training as well. I've trained a parakeet in less than a week to do this behavior using the methods I explain on the DVD.

hope that helps!
Kyle^Ravin
View Profile
Inner circle
1070 Posts

Profile of Kyle^Ravin
Cool Dave...Will check it out. Cheers! I gave away my 4 parakeets to somone in need of them. Anyways, I stopped performing with them. Perhaps I'll add them to the show again.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Parakeet production on Stage? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL