We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » "Freakey" by Gregory Wilson - my review (long) (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
DougNicols
View Profile
Special user
843 Posts

Profile of DougNicols
Freakey by Gregory Wilson - my review

March 2007

The Café becomes buzzed with rumors of a new effect by the awesome Gregory Wilson called "FreaKey". He had it for sale at Blackpool, and now everybody of course wanted one. Hocus Pocus says they'll have some in 4 weeks.

April 2007

http://gregorywilsonfx.com has it for sale on their site, Hocus Pocus has zero in stock, and no other vendors do either. Freakey goes on pre-order at Hocus Pocus, MJM and other major dealers.

May 2007

No vendors have received it, yet. Hocus Pocus has it for sale at $74. Paul (owner of Hocus Pocus) says, "I just got an email from Gregory Wilson. He just returned from England and will be shipping our order of Freakey in 10 days."

MJM says, "I haven't yet heard of any reasonable excuse as to why it's taken so long, which is unfortunate."

Here's the email from Greg: "Just got back from a three-week tour of jolly ol' England and only had enough Freakey's to send out on a temporary basis. The "real" fully-formed batch will be ready in about 10 days. Will send out 100 to you then. Thanks for the order. We'll talk soon."

June 2007

Paul writes, "According to the last conversation I had with our supplier we should have Freakey sometime next week. That's the most up to date information that I have."

Also, "Let me be very clear. NOBODY is shipping these now. I spoke to our supplier this afternoon directly. Greg has changed the instructional DVD and the packaging of this effect that is what has caused the delay, so no dealers have them to ship. He said that they should start shipping in approx. 7 days."

July 2007 - no news

August 2007

Greg finally speaks, "the dealers mistakenly thought it was available and had prematurely advertised it. They never asked me about its release in America and took it upon themselves to take pre-orders without my approval or agreement."

Huh? Greg you emailed Paul Gross that you'd ship him some in May.

Paul's response, "Throughout the long wait I have not yet once received an update or notification of delay directly from Greg. All of our information has been obtained second hand."

September 2007

FreaKey hits Murphys, and is distributed to your favorite dealer.

Oh wait - another wrinkle! Greg only shipped out 64 copies?! That's right, Hocus Pocus was the only dealer to sell them. So now HP begins pricing it at the normal $95 with a discounted price of $91. Greg complains (methinks, more later) and the discount is removed making it $95 again. But not before I scored my copy for $71 !

So why did the discount vanish, and no other dealers have it? Perhaps the answer lies within the Magic Bunny forum, in this post:

Quote:
On a side note I emailed Greg regarding buying it cheaper from a dealer (plus there will be no import charges!) and he says:

Quote:
These opportunistic dealers who are discounting and undercutting ME. Makes me not want to sell any more merchandise wholesale or through distributors!!!

"These opportunistic dealers" says it all. Those evil dealers are offering my phat loot at 10% off. How dare them. F@#* those guys, I'll just sell it from my site!

Isn't this an odd statement from Gregory Wilson, who's sold countless items through Penguin and Murphys already, and is WELL AWARE of the dealers' existing discounts? If discounts are an issue, why didn't he take a stance with the dealers on pricing?

Even more ironic is why you'd buy it from a dealer charging full price, when you'd need to pay shipping on top of it? Greg's site offers free shipping, plus your keys will be uncut, allowing you to create your own house key from them.

All the distribution problems aside, prepare yourself for one of the most beautifully produced DVD's and highest quality products I've seen in a long time.

Enter FreaKey...

http://www.penguinmagic.com/specialorderproduct.php?ID=9497
$64 after discount with free shipping

But although Penguin sells his On The Spot DVD, Penguin is an evil discounting dealer, therefore have none yet.

http://www.gregorywilsonfx.com/
$95 free shipping until 10/31/2007

IMPORTANT NOTE: If you purchase from Greg directly your keys are uncut, allowing you a customized house key.

Demo:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yvhK6_ik9uw

Where to find the hot blonde assistant:

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1002979/
http://www.alanacurry.com/

---- What You Get ----

English DVD, beautifully produced
Key ring that emerges out of a small metal casing, so you don't break your fingernails trying to remove the keys
Small black pouch
Two regular keys, and one "special" key

Here's a closeup of the DVD and keys:

http://img519.imageshack.us/img519/4493/1003620rz0.jpg

---- The DVD ----

Beautiful animated menus, tons of content. Unfortunately some of the content should have been combined considering some segments are only 30 seconds long. And no copyright notice? That's a first.

Master Key

- Freakey factory tour

Greg takes us on a factory tour of where the FreaKeys are created. It's interesting to see all the work that goes into them, including the hand cleaning, blasting, etc. He keeps stating, "this is simple, you can do it at home!" I assume to emphasize the impossibility ot creating this particular copper/silver gimmick without ordering it from him.

- Street performance

Same thing as this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yvhK6_ik9uw

- Introduction

Thanks for purchasing, blah blah.

- Studio Performance (3 mins)

The big breasted, blonde Alana Curry joins Greg in doing a studio performance of his main routine.

- Explanation (11 mins)

Greg explains the custom key chain he included, then goes into exhaustive detail on his main routine. It consists of 5 phases:

- Which key is in my hand?
- Copper/Silver transposition between hands
- Another switch
- Reveal of two silver, and one copper in pocket
- Transposition inside spectator's hand

My favorite routine of the bunch, mainly because of the built in elements and surprises:

- Keys are given to the spectator multiple times, and they're allowed to examine them. Best of all, you hand the ungimmicked keys during separate phases, and although you never say "check that out", you can see the spectators flipping it over several times trying to understand what's happening.

- Keys are examined before the start of this effect.

- Routine ends inside the spectator's hand, giving you ample opportunity to ditch the gimmick. Unfortunately, you cannot really "make a switch" since all three keys are in play and you have no extra.

- The first phase contains a nice slap in the head. On Greg's 5 performances, you can see specs backing up, saying "wtf", etc.

- All 3 keys are all turned over multiple times (or so it seems)

Key Players

- Gregory Wilson: Quickey (2 mins)

A one phase routine to get you started immediately, without learning his 5 phase routine. Actual routine lasts 30 seconds.

- Gregory Wilson: Finders Key Purse (2 mins)

Transposition using a coin purse. Because Greg's made such a point of "copper silver for the real world" using the keys, and everybody's seen a coin purse?

- Gregory Wilson: Top of the Key (3 mins)

Key drops from the head - same technique Greg uses for On The Spot during the end his QuickSilver routine.

- John Kennedy (6 mins)

3 stage key transposition using a StarBucks coffee cup. Cool routine, I may use this. The Met-Rx card on his keychain made me spit water through my nose.

- Paul Harris (2 mins)

You pull a copper key from your pocket, and place into other hand, then pull a silver and do the same. Both keys merge into one copper/silver key. Yes you're exposing the gimmick, so probably not a grand idea to move into another routine using the same gimmick.

- Max Maven (2 mins)

You pull a copper key from your pocket, and place into other hand, then pull a silver and do the same. After asking the spectator which they'd like to vanish, you make that one completely vanish, leaving only the other key.

- David Gripenwaldt (2 mins)

You show the spectator a copper/silver key (exposing the gimmick), then split that key into two keys. One copper, one silver.

- Michael Webber (2 mins)

This is the ending of Gregory Wilson's 5-phase routine (key transposition in spectator's hand), but with alternate patter and a slight variation.

- Mark Jenest (4 mins)

Originally published in Magic Magazine, and called Short Hop. You keep placing keys into your pocket after the spectator examines them, and finally reveal all the keys missing.

- Danny Archer (4 mins)

You hand the spectator a dime and penny. Once they place both behind their back, you successfully match their selections 100% of the time with your key selections.

- David Acer (Live!) (9 mins)

http://magicref.tripod.com/books/acerkeystokingdom.htm

or

http://www.dennymagic.com/cgi-bin/hazel.......m=006456

David Acer appears with his variation, called "Keys to the Kingdom" he released many years ago. It consists of color coded keys with color stickers on each side, similar to the copper/silver concept Greg made.

Two keys transpose places, then a silver key between two copper keys becomes a copper key between two silver ones. Finally, all the keys disappear.

Gorgeous routine from Acer with his excellent paddle move displaying both keys as normal. Visually perfect, you're convinced you have seen both sides of the all keys.

Turn Key (false turnovers)

- Greg's Basic Move (2 mins)

Used extensively in Greg's 5-phase main routine. Keys are turned over in the same hand, and obviously can be used to turn both keys over simultaneously.

- Apocalypse Move

Greg claims to have seen this before in Apocalypse (somewhere between 1978 and 1982 lol), but doesn't have an exact issue. You flip the coin over from one hand to the next, with both hands wide open and flat. Does contain a bad angle, on the magi's left side.

- Paddle Move

Straight forward paddle move that we all know and love, only done with a key. Looks EXTREMELY deceptive, especially David Acer's performance of it. Keys are held at the fingertips near the end and displayed on both sides.

- Hard-To-Name Move

You grab the key with one hand, then slap it into the other. Very clean and natural looking, with no angle problems.

- Merril Knife Move (with special grip grip)

David Gripenwaldt showed this to Greg, and believed to be from The Merril's Knife book (1981):

http://magicref.tripod.com/booksjr/merrillknife.htm

Similar to a paddle move, but the side you want a spectator to see if visible the entire time. Also fairly deceptive in slow motion, as Greg demonstrates.

Reveals

Magi holds a copper key, and the spectator's closed fist contains the silver one. The magi does one of the reveals (below), and is now holding the silver key. Spectator opens their hand to find a copper key. Here are the ways to reveal your changed key:

- Peterson Revelation

Key is picked up from a closed fist and revealed to be a different color.

- Pluck Revelation

Copper key is shown in hand, then a silver key is "plucked" from a closed fist, replacing the copper key.

- Flip Revelation

Copper key is shown in hand, then a silver key appears in the open hand under a closed fist, replacing the copper key.

- Paddle Revelation

Standard paddle move, used in the transposition.

- Kennedy's Shock Change

Part 1 contains a switch where the silver key is on top, and gimmicked key (copper) on bottom. Then they are switched out as your lay into your opposite hand. Greg uses this in his 5 phase routine, and is VERY deceptive even to yourself as you're performing it.

Part 2 the copper key changes into the silver while your hand is wide open, and you're misdirecting to your opposite hand (which was closed, but is not opening). Nice use of misdirection for a great reveal.

Pre-Switches

- In-The-Hand Switch

One using your existing keyring full of keys as a cover for the switch. Very nice, since your hand is holding more keys which have a dual purpose of covering the clinking noise, hiding the other key plus providing a logical reason for your hand to go into your pocket.

- Table Switch

Same (or extremely similar) to the In-The-Hand Switch, but using a table to lay the keys and your hand on. Used in Greg's Starbucks effect.

Post-Switches

- Kennedy's Slap Switch

Used in Greg's 5-phase main routine. You reveal copper in one hand, silver in the opposite, then one changes places. You then slap the open hand into the closed to reveal one copper/one silver. Deceptive, and excellent idea from John Kennedy.

- Pocket Switch

Magi goes digging into his pocket for the keychain, switching one key in the process. Standard pocket switch.

- Key Ring Retention Switch

Switch occurs while magi places the keys into the key ring.

Key Notes

A serious of interesting tidbits, mostly under a minute in length. If you subtract Greg's jokes about "yet another Key Note", then they're mostly under 20 seconds. Probably should have been combined into one whole 2 minute segment, IMHO.

- Key Note 1
- Key Note 2
- Key Note 3
- Key Note 4
- Key Note 5
- Key Note 6

Bonus Footage

- Street Performance 1

The kid holding a water bottle, who Greg ends up having his Bank of America check card.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yvhK6_ik9uw

- Street Performance 2

Greg performs for two guys outside, at a table near some stores.

- Street Performance 3

Greg performs for a couple at a Dave and Busters table.

- Street Performance 4

Greg performs for a some teens at a surfing location (you can see a surf store behind them).

- Street Performance 5

3 guys at a bar. Fun reactions, probably because they're intoxicated.

Special Thanks

---- The Gimmicked Key ----

Far above what I was expecting. This isn't a "Tango Copper/Silver" for ten dollars, it's a high quality set of keys that will last you years and years.

Cool features:

- The silver side has a texture, so it's easy to feel it inside your hand. It's not so thick and grainy that it hurts you, or hangs on your clothing, but is just enough for that tactile sensation without peeking.

- The copper is darker and aged, so it's readily apparent even from a large distance which key is which.

- The keychain is a pop-out design for easy removal, so you don't have to strain to remove the keys, nor damage them with a lot of scratches.

---- Angles ----

The silver side of your special key can be angly, but Greg's routine is geared toward minimizing its exposure. During the copper phases, you can sit all day with the copper side up and nobody will notice a thing.

Other than that, there's zero bad angles.

---- Performances ----

I've done this about 10 times total, and gotten good reactions. Nobody screaming and running off, but very solid laughs, smiles, WTF's, etc.

---- Difficulty ----

Greg's main 5-phase routine will take you probably a good day to get down. Then a few practices on family and friends and you should be ready.

---- Conclusion ----

Greg pointing fingers at the "evil vendors", and the vendors pointing fingers at Greg is an absolute mess. If Greg really wanted a zero discount policy, he should have contacted the vendors directly and worked it out long, long beforehand. Toss on the shipping date confusion, and the whole ordeal is confusing and silly for customers.

All that aside ...

The keys are superb quality, and his DVD is full of excellent content, professional design and layout, plus great routines and ideas from a variety of top talent in the magical world today. Perfect for street magic, restaurant walk-around, entertain the guy behind you at the grocery store line, school or anywhere else.

Best of all, the package fits on your keyring and is always ready to go, taking up virtually zero extra pocket space.

Gregory Wilson's FreaKey package is well worth $95, even moreso at the $70 I paid.

If you can score it for $64 after discount with free shipping at Penguin, this package is a felony-quality steal at that pricetag.

The official spam:

Quote:
How many people carry an American half dollar or English penny especially at the same time? Exactly! Get FREAKEY and you'll be ready with a miracle in your pocket anytime, anywhere.

Two distinctly different house keys switch places repeatedly in a flashy five-phase, fast-paced, in-their-face, Monte-type routine finishing clean in the spectator's tightly-clenched fist.

FREAKEY also includes a dozen more clever and captivating bonus routines by some of magic's key players: Paul Harris, David Acer, Max Maven, Mark Jenest, Danny Archer, Michael Weber, Thom Peterson, David Gripenwaldt, and John "This-Product-Wouldn't-Be-The-Same-Without-Him" Kennedy.

Freakey comes complete with everything you need: a precision-crafted gimmicked key, an elegant easy-to-open key fob and an instructional DVD with numerous over-the-top, on-the-street performances. Put FREAKEY in one pocket and Hundy 500 in other, and you'll be ready On-The-Spot and Off-The-Cuff.

Get Freakey and you’ll never leave home without it.

"Freakey is Copper/Silver on steroids. Greg drains the brains of master magicians like Paul Harris, Max Maven, Michael Weber and even little ol' Me to bring you a modern-day masterpiece!" John Kennedy

Paul Gross
View Profile
Special user
574 Posts

Profile of Paul Gross
Hello,

To all Magic Café Members,

Hocus Pocus has Freakey in stock for immediate delivery. As a special offer to all Magic Café members we are offering free shipping anywhere in the USA and as an additional bonus we will include a Magic With Markers 2 Vol. DVD set a $40.00 retail value free with any purchase made before the end of September 9/30/07. All you have to do is mention the Magic Café when placing your order online or by phone.

Best regards
Paul Gross
Owner
Hocus Pocus
Best Regards,

Paul Gross

Owner

http://www.hocus-pocus.com
thehawk
View Profile
Inner circle
2275 Posts

Profile of thehawk
Great deal Paul.
gmmagic124
View Profile
Special user
751 Posts

Profile of gmmagic124
Wow, thanx for the review, sounds like a bargain with all you can do.
DougNicols
View Profile
Special user
843 Posts

Profile of DougNicols
Hocus Pocus had my FreaKey to the door 3 days after I ordered. And my email questions were answered within the hour. Paul rocks.
Joey Stalin
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1077 Posts

Profile of Joey Stalin
That was... detailed. Very nice. I assume you can't see the etching on the 3rd key because of the angle heh.
-A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic.
-It is easier to fight for one's principles than to live up to them.
-The secret impresses no one. The trick you use it for is everything.

See you space cowboy...
gmmagic124
View Profile
Special user
751 Posts

Profile of gmmagic124
Quote:
On 2007-09-23 20:02, DougNicols wrote:
Hocus Pocus had my FreaKey to the door 3 days after I ordered. And my email questions were answered within the hour. Paul rocks.

Yeah, he looks out for us.
Pathian
View Profile
Regular user
Dayton, OH
174 Posts

Profile of Pathian
So will the keys hold up well if I keep them on the same ring as or near my normal keys?
DougNicols
View Profile
Special user
843 Posts

Profile of DougNicols
Quote:
On 2007-09-23 23:18, Pathian wrote:
So will the keys hold up well if I keep them on the same ring as or near my normal keys?

One of my concerns was the copper wearing a different pattern than the other copper, however after having it in my pocket for a few days, the difference is still invisible from any distance. Some of the guys who've owned this much longer than me can probably speak better about the wear and tear.
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
If only one dealer has the effect, than the price will be over $90. I'd wait until other dealers get them, as the price will come down. Or order direct from Greg.
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
kannon
View Profile
Inner circle
BCN
1026 Posts

Profile of kannon
Great review and recap of the Freakey and events leading the the release.

Mine arrived today, after import tax and customs handling to the UK, 120 dollars Smile, B*stard Customs. Having said that I support the price tag, don't want this in everyones hands.

But the possibilities are near limitless, the routines in particular Greg's and Danny Archers, and John Kennedys ... are fantastic. Plenty of moves covered.

A play all option would have been nice as Doug mentioned the DVD has many short sections.

A really quality product. In the future perhaps I will get a second uncut set.

EDIT: Greg's continued use of real life performances is fantastic, more DVD's should do this, you learn so much more watching performers like Greg in non studio situations, his audience handling is inspirational.
My work and the Mtangulizi here http://kannonsworks.weebly.com featuring work on drawing duplications, a fiddle-free billet tear, bar mentalism, pendulums
Enigmo
View Profile
Loyal user
215 Posts

Profile of Enigmo
Can the keys be attracted to a magnet?
Eric Leclerc
View Profile
Inner circle
Ottawa Ontario
1185 Posts

Profile of Eric Leclerc
That's a KEY question
kannon
View Profile
Inner circle
BCN
1026 Posts

Profile of kannon
Quote:
On 2007-09-27 23:39, Enigmo wrote:
Can the keys be attracted to a magnet?

No
My work and the Mtangulizi here http://kannonsworks.weebly.com featuring work on drawing duplications, a fiddle-free billet tear, bar mentalism, pendulums
thehawk
View Profile
Inner circle
2275 Posts

Profile of thehawk
Quote:
On 2007-09-24 15:35, Christopher Kavanagh wrote:
If only one dealer has the effect, than the price will be over $90. I'd wait until other dealers get them, as the price will come down. Or order direct from Greg.

I guess the price has come down as somebody is trying to sell theirs for $50 here at the Café.
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
$50? WOW. We'll have to see what happens over the next few weeks.

ftlum
View Profile
Special user
Roseville, CA
727 Posts

Profile of ftlum
Are there enough keys to do Greg's "Flordia Keys" effect?

Also, my recollection of Flordia Keys is that it was published in either Magic or Genii (I know it's on his On the Spot video). Does anyone recall which issue it was in? (I may be mistaken.)

- Frank
Joshua Barrett
View Profile
Inner circle
Cincinnati, Ohio
3627 Posts

Profile of Joshua Barrett
I hope so I want this but 90 bucks? geez 60 I can see
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
If I found one for around $50 I'd try it.

DougNicols
View Profile
Special user
843 Posts

Profile of DougNicols
The $50 one for sale already sold (quickly).
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » "Freakey" by Gregory Wilson - my review (long) (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.37 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL