The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » "Freakey" by Gregory Wilson - my review (long) (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
Jon Blakeney
View Profile
Special user
Australia
657 Posts

Profile of Jon Blakeney
As a lurker I read the reviews took the plunge and totally love it.Mine has a manufacturing fault on a certain key but this has never been spotted touch wood.
'What the eye's see the heart must believe"
Douglas Lippert
View Profile
Inner circle
E Pluribus Unum
2341 Posts

Profile of Douglas Lippert
Are you talking about the little line? I don't think that is a defect.

I enjoy my set as well, I just need to perform the piece. Take care.
Douglas Lippert
Former I.B.M. Ring #8 Secretary
http://www.facebook.com/Doug.Lippert
flyman
View Profile
New user
5 Posts

Profile of flyman
Does anyone have contact info for greg?
Douglas Lippert
View Profile
Inner circle
E Pluribus Unum
2341 Posts

Profile of Douglas Lippert
Quote:
On 2008-12-10 14:15, flyman wrote:
Does anyone have contact info for greg?

If I remember correctly his e-mail is getgreg@pacbell.net

Doug
Douglas Lippert
Former I.B.M. Ring #8 Secretary
http://www.facebook.com/Doug.Lippert
Jon Blakeney
View Profile
Special user
Australia
657 Posts

Profile of Jon Blakeney
In answer to DVLKCC, My key has a bleed between the brass and silver witch is very noticable along one side,still it has never been noticed.
Jon Blakeney
View Profile
Special user
Australia
657 Posts

Profile of Jon Blakeney
PS, DON'T hesetate in perfoming it this is a winner!
HighClass
View Profile
New user
92 Posts

Profile of HighClass
Love this trick. Perform it all the time. Audiences seem to love it.
Bendy
View Profile
Special user
Columbus, Ohio
515 Posts

Profile of Bendy
I'm a big fan of this illusion and it has remained on my key ring and has gone everywhere I've gone for three years now, (though the chrome plating chipped off the key fob and the thing came apart enough that I finally just gave up and now keep the keys on a small, aluminum "S-biner" clip; which works like a charm).

The only thing that bugs me is that, (to his credit), Gregory Wilson did such a good job in coming up with a routine for this that I have been unsatisfied in anything I've come up with on my own to make it more "me." And I don't like performing illusions where my spectators are wrong. I'm out to entertain and create experiences - not frustrate or make anyone look foolish. I've performed it where I act surprised it happens...but lets face it, by the time you get to the end, feigning surprise is no longer convincing. I've also performed it so that when the spectators guess wrong, I tell them it must've been my fault...like either I messed it up or that I cheated. Both get me by, but aren't particularly appealing to me.

If anyone has come up with a method of performing this illusion without the spectator being wrong at every turn, please let me know. I'd be interested to hear about it. Other than that, (which is totally just my personal choice), this is a fantastic illusion that's well-worth every penny.
J-Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
Ridley Park, PA
5339 Posts

Profile of J-Mac
I feel the same way, Bendy. If you get a clever spectator they figure out what is going on - or at least close enough to it - and it becomes a game of trying to catch you. I don’t like doing that; it can lose its entertainment value fast. As long as you have a fairly laid back audience it goes over great. But anyone who takes such effects as a challenge can get a little worked up.

Jim
EZrhythm
View Profile
Inner circle
Only three EZ payments for a PDF of my
1258 Posts

Profile of EZrhythm
Try patter without directing a question to them. "We have the brass in this hand and the silver in this hand but every time I [insert circumstance] we end up with the brass now being in this hand and the silver in the other.

Try asking the question then redirect; "Under normal circumstances the brass would be in my left hand correct? Well this isn't normal circumstances, today we're playing with magic."

Consider, after asking which hand do they think it is in ask them, "Now if you were to be dealing with a magician, which hand do you believe the brass one to be in?"

Consider providing hints, making them as silly or as obvious and the situation dictates.
..."If you woke up and realized that your thumbs were on the outside edge of your hands, which hand would you believe the silver to be in?"
..."I am one of those types of people who ends up doing things backwards. I put the cream in before the coffee and a helmet on my head after I bang it. Which hand has ended up with the brass?"
..."I have this condition with items that are brass colored, they have been known to cause twitching." Twitch eye for a slight hint, twitch correct hand for an obvious one.

For the ones who are taking it as a challenge, put your hands behind your back and have them picture in their mind which hand will bring forth each key. Then bring your hands out, have them reveal their thoughts and reveal the keys.
How many magicians does it take to change a lightbulb? Regardless, for magicians darkness is a time for d'lite.
donny
View Profile
Loyal user
Colorado
263 Posts

Profile of donny
I find the effect really clean and clear, if you can handle the "guilt". I've used it as a "middle" effect where I slow down, from a prior fast C/S transpo routine, and appear to use just normal items...slowly (to please the spectator). I might then close with four cards I have in my wallet ie Twisted Sisters, or do some light but amazing sponge ball magic. All the better with a final load under a hat ala Cups and Balls.
-but I digress
It's not their senses that mislead, it's their assumptions.
Robvs
View Profile
Elite user
470 Posts

Profile of Robvs
This is an old thread, but I think what I have to say is worth it.

First, I absolutely love this trick, and for me what makes it special is the "world's gratest magic" style of showing multiple approaches to this old effect (now done with keys) in the dvd, making the dvd really wonderful.

I think this trick is well made and awesome, but something about the keys just looked funny to me. I had always wanted to perform this trick with a keys that look completely unsupicious.

Today, I did my first batch of experimenting. I purchased a nickel electroplating kit from Caswell. I bought a brass keyblank that matches my housekey from a local place (the guy told me that it's not really brass, so I wondered if it would work. Caswell said that nickel plates just fine onto brass, but from what I understand there's some complexities when you deal with other metals, sometimes necessitating that you first plate to copper- which is a different kit).

Anyway, the intent was to plate one side of a brass key (in nickel). I accomplished this with absolute ease. The results need tweeking. The side that I plated came out completely uniform, a nice lustrious nickel color that doesn't look overdone like chrome. It looks just like a nickel keyblank. The other side, however, had its problems from the getgo. The key that I used is initially so lustrious that the shine makes it hard to distinguish from silver coloring (nickel). After plating, I think a bit of the plating made its way to the other side of the key (probably human error) giving it even more luster. There's simply not enough contrast between the nickel side of the key and the brass.

I will try again with taping off the underside of the key. Caswell had suggested that initially. I'm also wondering if these "brass" keys develop a bit of a patina which will help the effect. I think there's brass keys that have this look to begin with- a dull brass. I'm going to look into it and report back (if there's anyone listening or anyone who seems to care).

But anway, this plating stuff has just opened up a new world to me. Keys, coins, the sky is the limit.
paisa23
View Profile
Inner circle
7294 Posts

Profile of paisa23
Wait... What? I have never liked the Provided Keys AND I have two sets of Freakey. But I'm not ther arts and crafts guy to make my own.
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12035 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Quote:
On 2013-06-26 22:07, paisa23 wrote:
Wait... What? I have never liked the Provided Keys AND I have two sets of Freakey. But I'm not ther arts and crafts guy to make my own.

I agree, wish mine were not so similar in appearance.
Romano911
View Profile
Loyal user
280 Posts

Profile of Romano911
Quote:
On 2013-06-26 20:55, Robvs wrote:
I think there's brass keys that have this look to begin with- a dull brass. I'm going to look into it and report back (if there's anyone listening or anyone who seems to care).

Please do report your progress, I would like to see it... Thank you.
Commonly known as Mariano Blanco.
Romano911
View Profile
Loyal user
280 Posts

Profile of Romano911
Quote:
On 2013-06-26 20:55, Robvs wrote:
I think there's brass keys that have this look to begin with- a dull brass. I'm going to look into it and report back (if there's anyone listening or anyone who seems to care).

Please do report your progress, I would like to see it... Thank you.
Commonly known as Mariano Blanco.
Robvs
View Profile
Elite user
470 Posts

Profile of Robvs
Quote:
On 2013-06-27 06:52, Decomposed wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-06-26 22:07, paisa23 wrote:

I agree, wish mine were not so similar in appearance.

I want to make sure you didn't misunderstand. I have no problems with the set I purchased other than the fact that I don't really like the exact shade of the color and I think the shape of the key is suspicious. A bit weird.

The first experiment I did in making my own set made a key where each side is difficult to distinguish. However, things are changing...
Robvs
View Profile
Elite user
470 Posts

Profile of Robvs
While I initially reported that the key I made is simply too shiny (on the untouched, brass side), I've found that after letting it sit overnight it has started to lose its shine (just a bit). If you've ever polished some of your coins from Scotch and Soda and left them sitting around with the other coins, you'll understand.

Maybe this plating experiment will work out okay.

Nonetheless, I'm going to grab some different blanks soon. I've also read some stuff about unnaturally adding a patina to brass- vinegars, ammonia, etc. I'll play and try not to blow up the house. I'll report back.

You would never believe exactly how easy it is to plate something yourself. You don't have to be artsy and craftsy. Just spend $20 on a kit that can plate probably 100 keys. A five minute phonecall to the electroplating kit company made me feel like a seasoned pro. Felt just as confident during the process. It makes the intro video that Gregory Wilson put on his dvd look even more comical. He boasts of the machinery used to create these precision keys- why? I know it was a bit "tongue in cheek," but seems like he could have made this for much less.
Mr. Ree
View Profile
Elite user
Sedona AZ
414 Posts

Profile of Mr. Ree
Quote:
On 2013-06-28 01:15, Robvs wrote:

You would never believe exactly how easy it is to plate something yourself. You don't have to be artsy and craftsy. Just spend $20 on a kit that can plate probably 100 keys. A five minute phonecall to the electroplating kit company made me feel like a seasoned pro. Felt just as confident during the process.

Robvs, Any information on kit you are using would be helpful.
I don't want to track down a kit that may not be as good. - David
An idea can turn to dust or magic, depending on the talent that rubs against it.
---- William Bernbach (1911 - 1982) ----

(After 25 years of PCs, everything switched to Macs, June 2008)
Robvs
View Profile
Elite user
470 Posts

Profile of Robvs
Quote:
On 2013-07-05 14:51, Mr. Ree wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-06-28 01:15, Robvs wrote:

You would never believe exactly how easy it is to plate something yourself. You don't have to be artsy and craftsy. Just spend $20 on a kit that can plate probably 100 keys. A five minute phonecall to the electroplating kit company made me feel like a seasoned pro. Felt just as confident during the process.

Robvs, Any information on kit you are using would be helpful.
I don't want to track down a kit that may not be as good. - David

Caswell Plug N' Plate Nickel kit SKU: PNPNK28 About 35 dollars
They sell direct from their site, though they vend on Amazon as well.

They make all kinds of kits. Their phone support is AMAZING. They are so knowledgeable. I have a feeling I'll be buying other kits for other metals in the future for other projects.

My key is "tarnishing" in my pocket with my other keys right now. My initial problem where the brass side looked too shiny has become a non-issue. However, I've realized I should have taped off the underside of the key, there is a bit of nickel on my brass edges. But not bad for a sloppy guy's first attempt.

May I suggest, the process involves wrapping some bandage on a wand and brushing it on (it's a bit more involved than that). However, I think the company sells some sort of "nub" that helps with precision work. I'd talk to them about that.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » "Freakey" by Gregory Wilson - my review (long) (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.26 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL