The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » "Freakey" by Gregory Wilson - my review (long) (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
dmoses
View Profile
Inner circle
2196 Posts

Profile of dmoses
I like freakey too. But I don't use it as a magic trick.
I do a variation of Danny Archer's effect on the DVD as part of an "influence" routine.
It's not a trick... so they don't suspect "trick" keys.
"You're a comedian. You wanna do mankind a service, tell funnier jokes."
TPR by Dave Moses and Iain Dunford
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Quote:
On 2008-05-18 21:51, millarhouse wrote:
Christopher, I think MagicAggie assumed that comment "What an intelligent review" was a sarcastic one. Which I must admit I thought it was also when I first read it, but you are giving him praise for giving his own reasoning for why he on sold the product.

I was praisng him. Sorry if I didn't word it corectly.

Gabe, thanks for sharing your thoughts on this. I think maybe that's what I've been on the fence about. I LOVE C/S/B and it would atke allot for me to change over ( pocket management is everything with me ).
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
kannon
View Profile
Inner circle
BCN
1026 Posts

Profile of kannon
Yeah, Freakey is still in the top 2 - 3 I will do and whenever I go into a situation where the magic topic will come up ... I AM prepared with Freakey. It gets great reactions. I'm currently experimenting with my own coin copper/silver ish effect as well.
The final in the hands I will use 4/5 out of five times, depending on what I've scoped out from the spectator.

And the Mental influence routine with Freakey is another great!

I find the keyring is a bit iffy and sometimes needs rescrewing. The keys are great quality, yeah perhaps they don't quite look like the standard house keys we get in the UK, but they don't attract much questions especially after they've been examined at the start of the main routine.
My work and the Mtangulizi here http://kannonsworks.weebly.com featuring work on drawing duplications, a fiddle-free billet tear, bar mentalism, pendulums
Bendy
View Profile
Special user
Columbus, Ohio
514 Posts

Profile of Bendy
Quote:
On 2008-05-20 18:40, kannon wrote:

I find the keyring is a bit iffy and sometimes needs rescrewing.

I've found this to be the case, as well. With repeated use - opening and closing the key fob - the tiny screw holding the spring will work itself out. I have to remember to tighten it on occasion. Only once has it come completely out and I was fortunate that I didn't lose the spring.

However, for those who may be considering "FreaKey" but who do not have it, I would like to stress that the key fob is NOT part of the trick. Gregory Wilson supplies it so that you have an easy, attractive means of carrying, retrieving and displaying the keys. Additionally, you can have it personalized/engraved if you want a more personal touch and/or if you need it to determine which side to open. I don't need a marking; as I always replace the keys on the ring in the same manner.

You can actually buy the same key fob or similar ones online if you buy them in bulk, (which I assume is what Mr. Wilson does), and you can find key fobs that work similarly in retail stores everywhere. My local Christian book store had some key fobs that were gold-plated with a wood inset that had a carved cross in the wood. Pretty snazzy. They work exactly the same way as the ones provided in "FreaKey." Five bucks and I have myself a more personalized key fob if the one that came with "FreaKey" ever completely gives out. But I like the fob that came with the trick; so I will use it and repair it until it finally gives up the ghost.

I love "FreaKey." I actually performed it for a friend and fellow magician today and he was pretty impressed. I expect that he will soon be stopping at his local magic shop, (which is around the corner from the radio station he works at), to pick one up.
Magic Enhancer
View Profile
Inner circle
Robert Haas
1805 Posts

Profile of Magic Enhancer
I recently purchased Frea-key a week ago and had a chance to play with it. HEre are my thoughts\;

I really do like it. The DVD that was put together was excellent. Excellent instruction and many contributors. There are many different effects for many different performing styles. Something for everyone.

I put together many different pieces of different routines on the DVD and created my own. I was hesitant to do magic with keys, but the laypeople loved it. I was surprised. It got very very good reactions and they liked it. The best part about it is that there are a few different phases which can be done in the audience members hand. They see the front and back of each key (with a little practice) and have no idea how the keys change places.

The supplied key fob looks nice but my spring came out as well. As others have said, it's not part of the trick and was supplied cause Greg was a nice guy. I bought my own higher quality key fob and have been using that one since. Just check the spring occasionally and you will be fine. You will need a small screwdriver (the one for eyeglasses) to tighten it, etc.

The gimmicks are expertly constructed and will last a lifetime. I was concerned that it was going to be color plated, and it wasn't. No worries about that.

For those who have this, did you check out the "Frea-key Facotry tour" I can't believe Greg showsyou how to make your own Frea-key....lol. That was hilarious. He's a funny dude...

Robert Haas
Robert Haas
Magic Enhancer
Quality magic products for the working professional.
www.MagicEnhancer.com
Bill Lhotta
View Profile
Veteran user
on top of a 14000' mountain in Colorado
356 Posts

Profile of Bill Lhotta
I spoke to Greg and the reason he left the factory tour in was to show how much work was required to make the gaff.

Cheers!

** Bill **
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12035 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Has anyone had a problem with keeping the three keys together (scratches etc)?
I am very limited on pocket space and it would be nice to keep the keys on the same key chain as the rest of my keys. Thanks in advance.
Joshua Barrett
View Profile
Inner circle
Cincinnati, Ohio
3627 Posts

Profile of Joshua Barrett
I still like using coins personally chris. I love copper/silver type tricks and I do 5 or 6 varations at any one time (just not at once) what this gives me is extreme flexablilty. for example some times I can back clip or things like. in other situtation a more edge grip handling for clean displays with friendly angles.

this also allows for other tricks that lead into the transpositions.

you guys mention c/s/b. and that's a good example. kainoa has a nice routine of a spell-bound like production where you show 3 coins in a purse and they go back back and forth from the purse has you do spellbound changes and some other goodies. this leads up to doing somthing like latta's or curtis kam's c/s/b routine.

I like freakey, but iv never been convienced its worth carrying another one trick prop. and if you take full advantage of a c/s type effect with coins I don;t beleive the keys really add anything, other then the convience of them being keys you can put on your keyring as a good with you everywhere type of thing.
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12035 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
The problem with coins is laymen know there are 2 s***d coins. Try flipping for a meal sometime and listen to the comments.
kissdadookie
View Profile
Inner circle
4146 Posts

Profile of kissdadookie
True that lay people think of DS coins but that is in the context of the coin being of the same type. They however have NO concept of a c/s and a sh**l.
Joshua Barrett
View Profile
Inner circle
Cincinnati, Ohio
3627 Posts

Profile of Joshua Barrett
Quote:
On 2008-06-09 21:16, Candin wrote:
The problem with coins is laymen know there are 2 s***d coins. Try flipping for a meal sometime and listen to the comments.

iv never once had the problem. if anything they thing two heads or somthing, nothing like whats used for this.

most every routine iv seen or done shows both sides of the coins throughout the routine.

for example (keep in mind this kind of gaff is use in this routine) in the david roth routine "copper silver classic" both sides of both coins are show 3 times.. at the beginning, the middle, and the end. if you so wanted ( but shouldn'y ) the specs could hand both coins at each of those times
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12035 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Well, we all have our styles. I love magic but perform 99 pct mentalism. I only plan on performing the Danny Archer (DVD) routine or a variation thereof with the key. ITs one of those things I have tried different methods like electronics etc but something so simple which is old that I just didn't pick up on arrives.

I will anxiously await its arrival now.

PS: Thanks to JHEFF for his excellent reviews and advice.

PSS: Gabelson, I didn't forget about you either. Smile
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12035 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Okay I just got this today and since I perform mentalism, I tried out the Danny Archer routine for the family test only. Aside from the fact my daughter wanted to see the keys after about 10 times and wife is also suspicious, everything else was right on.

One thing I will have to check out in real world, is the lighting. I got a comment about not being able to tell the silver from the brass. Unsure if this will be a problem with different lighting environments but I do not perform in bright lighting that often.

Please let me know from anyone who has used this extensively is this is a problem. SInce the silver is rough on top, I could point this out to them if necessary.
Art190
View Profile
Elite user
447 Posts

Profile of Art190
Hi,
I have a question not sure if it has been asked.

Can the keys be carried in a Ring flight key case? Or will they get damaged or reveal anything? I just think it would be cool if you could carry two effects with one. Having the Freakey keys on my El duco ring flight.

Art
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12035 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
I know I just got these but I do not see how they could be damaged. I have already dropped mine on the tile floor a few times and its fine. I initially wondered if I could carry them on my regular key chain and unless someone says there is a problem later on, I think they will be fine.
Art190
View Profile
Elite user
447 Posts

Profile of Art190
Thanks Candin! Appreciate it. I've been wanting to pick this up for a long time now so I guess I'll give it a try. I want to carry these in my El Duco ring flight case so I can do my ring flight and freakey in one case Smile

Thanks again,
Art
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12035 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Welcome. BTW: Since the last post, I dropped the gimmicked key on a hard floor. Still solid. I did the Max Maven routine tonight and it went well. When I saw it I did not think of it as mentalism but after I tried it, it surely can be. It reminds me a bit of Richard Osterlind's BCS 2 cards to pocket in a way. You are asking the spectator which key they want to disappear. I also did a variation of the Danny Archer with a prediction laid down prior. I think the Danny Archer and Max Maven routines are the easiest to perform. Smile
Jared
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island, USA
1409 Posts

Profile of Jared
Art,
You can carry the keys on your El Duco Ring Flight Case if you want. The fob has nothing to do with the routine. Just keep the 'extra' in your jacket or pants pocket.

Jared
inidyls
View Profile
Veteran user
NYC
315 Posts

Profile of inidyls
I been performing this a year before it was on the market. I never had a problem keeping the three keys on key fob. I actually like having all the keys scratched. I never had a problem either with the lighting because they can easily see one key is smoothed and the other rough. My best or favorite thing I like about Freakey is it looks totally impromtu, let's face it how many people actually carry an english penny with them. And the keys are my real house keys , I never leave the house without them.

JV
Jared
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island, USA
1409 Posts

Profile of Jared
I carry the regular keys on my regular key ring. There's nothing sweeter than removing the keys with no set-up and having a number of excellent routines to choose from (sleight of hand or mentalism). How many magic props in your arsenal can you say that about?

-Jared
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » "Freakey" by Gregory Wilson - my review (long) (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.25 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL