We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » "Freakey" by Gregory Wilson - my review (long) (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
rmendez
View Profile
Inner circle
San Antonio, Texas
1321 Posts

Profile of rmendez
After seeing a copper/silver/brass routine, I couldn't imagine ever doing a copper/silver routine again ever. Especially since copper/silver routines have always screamed "Double-Sided Coin!" to me for some reason.
Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
7020 Posts

Profile of Cameron Francis
I do a copper silver routine with ungimmicked coins (a variation of Scarne's from Stars of Magic). It doesn't sream double sided coin at all since there are none used Smile

I love organic props, yes, even washers. But that just suits my character. I don't care for props that look too special. Having said that, I do not feel that half dollars and English pennies are so uncommon as to not be relatable. People understand that they are real coins. I feel very comfortable using them and just don't see the need to spend the money on this particular trick. Although the bonus effects on the dvd sound very good and I am very interesting in David Acer's Keys To The Kingdom... although I can buy that by itself for $15.
MOMENT'S NOTICE LIVE 3 - Six impromptu card tricks! Out now! http://cameronfrancismagic.com/moments-notice-live-3.html
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Quote:
On 2007-10-08 15:36, rmendez wrote:
After seeing a copper/silver/brass routine, I couldn't imagine ever doing a copper/silver routine again ever. Especially since copper/silver routines have always screamed "Double-Sided Coin!" to me for some reason.


I hera what you're saying. But, I've been doing work with double sides coins for years and never had any think that's how it's done.

It's like magciians being fooled by a TT. When they find out it's a TT, they say "that'll never fool anyone".
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
kannon
View Profile
Inner circle
BCN
1026 Posts

Profile of kannon
Quote:
On 2007-10-08 15:36, rmendez wrote:
After seeing a copper/silver/brass routine, I couldn't imagine ever doing a copper/silver routine again ever. Especially since copper/silver routines have always screamed "Double-Sided Coin!" to me for some reason.


If you've seen Al Schneider's Spellbound, that screams double-sided, but its performed with two coins, really beautiful handling and effect, but I find some how boring (but could be a stage in a strong routine) ...I love magic to be really interactive. My c/s routine also is ungimmicked and interactive (having them handling the coins), which I think is the key to disposing of the "gimmicked" feel to more knowledgeable spectators.
My work and the Mtangulizi here http://kannonsworks.weebly.com featuring work on drawing duplications, a fiddle-free billet tear, bar mentalism, pendulums
MagicAggie
View Profile
Regular user
124 Posts

Profile of MagicAggie
Now they're down to $74.95 here with free shipping:

http://www.bottsbeans.com/shop/index.php?productID=200
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Have we solved the cut/uncut key issue?
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
delgadil
View Profile
Regular user
197 Posts

Profile of delgadil
Quote:
On 2007-10-06 12:09, Christopher Kavanagh wrote:
I'd like to know the reactions. It would help if you used a copper/silver routine with coins and could compare.

Are the reactions 20 times better ( I know, hard to measure so we'll say much stronger )?

I never found coins to be a problem. I always say " I went to the coin shop down the street and they had these very old coins". Just like politcs, say it and they believe it.

I like the idea of using keys. But not at $80 if the reactions are no better than with coins.


I would have to say that yes reactions have been better FOR ME with the keys, rather than with coins. Not 20X better, but better nonetheless. I think folks like the organic "everyday object" nature of the effect and I think the shape of the keys lulls them into a false sense that they (keys) cannot be manipulated like coins can.
The ending with the brass key in their hand is much stronger than any coin-based CS routine I have done in the past.

This item is a keeper for me.

Kevin
MagicAggie
View Profile
Regular user
124 Posts

Profile of MagicAggie
If you are still deciding whether to get FreaKey or not, this might push you over the edge. This place has it for $69.95 right now:

http://www.bottsbeans.com/shop/index.php?productID=200
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
I never got this ( but am still curious ). Anyone using this in performance on a regular basis?
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
Jared
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island, USA
1424 Posts

Profile of Jared
Christopher,
Simply put...this is one of the best investments I've ever made in a magic prop. I perform this frequently and the reactions are always strong. And yes, I also have my own Copper/Silver routine. Freakey plays very strong especially because of the big ending in Greg's routine. Honestly, I see enough of your postings to know what effects that you tend to like and you'll love this!
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Jared, I appreciate your response. Knowing how you love "worker" material, your answer means allot!!
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
magicninja99
View Profile
New user
7 Posts

Profile of magicninja99
I thought this was a bit on the expensive side, but I ended up getting it anyway. The quality was well worth the price. I don't do this as often, but like Jared, I haven't regreted getting this one bit.

Hope that helps Smile
“Using words to describe magic is like using a screwdriver to cut roast beef”
Image
kannon
View Profile
Inner circle
BCN
1026 Posts

Profile of kannon
Quote:
On 2008-05-15 19:33, Christopher Kavanagh wrote:
I never got this ( but am still curious ). Anyone using this in performance on a regular basis?


What copper/silver are you doing at the moment Chris?
My work and the Mtangulizi here http://kannonsworks.weebly.com featuring work on drawing duplications, a fiddle-free billet tear, bar mentalism, pendulums
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Quote:
On 2008-05-16 11:16, kannon wrote:
Quote:
On 2008-05-15 19:33, Christopher Kavanagh wrote:
I never got this ( but am still curious ). Anyone using this in performance on a regular basis?


What copper/silver are you doing at the moment Chris?


My own routine with a c/s coin and a @&ell.
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
The Baldini
View Profile
Inner circle
I some how pounded in
2416 Posts

Profile of The Baldini
I had this effect and just sold it, I like the coins more, I just found that the reaction with both was the same, it was very good, not better , not worse, I just felt more comfortable using the coins, it seemed less gaffy, more "real" to me. That said, it is extremely well made, and easy to do,
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Quote:
On 2008-05-17 18:17, dave wrote:
I had this effect and just sold it, I like the coins more, I just found that the reaction with both was the same, it was very good, not better , not worse, I just felt more comfortable using the coins, it seemed less gaffy, more "real" to me. That said, it is extremely well made, and easy to do,


What an intelligent review. Dave says it's an extremely well made product, but he prefers the coins more.

Some folks pass on a product and don't say why.
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
MagicAggie
View Profile
Regular user
124 Posts

Profile of MagicAggie
Quote:
On 2008-05-17 18:38, Christopher Kavanagh wrote:
Quote:
On 2008-05-17 18:17, dave wrote:
I had this effect and just sold it, I like the coins more, I just found that the reaction with both was the same, it was very good, not better , not worse, I just felt more comfortable using the coins, it seemed less gaffy, more "real" to me. That said, it is extremely well made, and easy to do,


What an intelligent review. Dave says it's an extremely well made product, but he prefers the coins more.

Some folks pass on a product and don't say why.


I thought he made it clear "why" in his post, he felt more comfortable using coins, they seemed less gaffy and more real. Not every comment about a product needs to be a multi-page review.
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Quote:
On 2008-05-18 08:42, MagicAggie wrote:
Quote:
On 2008-05-17 18:38, Christopher Kavanagh wrote:
Quote:
On 2008-05-17 18:17, dave wrote:
I had this effect and just sold it, I like the coins more, I just found that the reaction with both was the same, it was very good, not better , not worse, I just felt more comfortable using the coins, it seemed less gaffy, more "real" to me. That said, it is extremely well made, and easy to do,


What an intelligent review. Dave says it's an extremely well made product, but he prefers the coins more.

Some folks pass on a product and don't say why.


I thought he made it clear "why" in his post, he felt more comfortable using coins, they seemed less gaffy and more real. Not every comment about a product needs to be a multi-page review.


That's what I said.

??????????
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
millarhouse
View Profile
Regular user
New Zealand
199 Posts

Profile of millarhouse
Christopher, I think MagicAggie assumed that comment "What an intelligent review" was a sarcastic one. Which I must admit I thought it was also when I first read it, but you are giving him praise for giving his own reasoning for why he on sold the product.
gabelson
View Profile
Inner circle
conscientious observer
2085 Posts

Profile of gabelson
It's rather odd, actually. Although I absolutely love Freakey, and find lots of uses for it, particularly in mentalism, (and without a doubt, it looks more "organic" to carry than two unusual, foreign coins), I find that people more easily intuit the MO of a 2-s***ed C/S key, than they do with a coin. Plus, with CSB coins, you have the additional gaff of a sh**l, to futher lead them down the garden path. One thing I can say, Christopher, is that I end up performing Freakey far more than I do CSB.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » "Freakey" by Gregory Wilson - my review (long) (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.3 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL