The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Tried to get in with a party planner, I cost too much (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
magicofCurtis
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
2545 Posts

Profile of magicofCurtis
Scratches head....
What is wrong with lowering your fee a bit for a party planner? If a party planner increases your sales what is the big deal you a loose a few bucks?

If you place an ad for 6 months at a cost of $12,000 in an event magazine you are not promised any sales or leads...(been there) Now a party planner phones you that is a $$$$ SALE $$$ and you give them 10-20% off your fee. So consider it well paid advertisment.... After all shouldn't the party planner have the right to make a living... They work as hard as we do!

Find GOOD party/event planners and you will be very PLEASED!!!!!!!! They will increase your sales with very little efford on your part...
jkesler
View Profile
Loyal user
246 Posts

Profile of jkesler
Curtis is right!!! Money is Money...just ask the Bank(my wife). The money is there if you are willing to work.
James
Magic_Steve
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
1476 Posts

Profile of Magic_Steve
I'm not an expert or anything, but wasn't it mentioned that a good planner will add their money ON TOP of what you charge? Taking 20% off my fee is a bit much. There's no guarantee that the gigs will keep rolling in, and after that 20% comes off, I'm still left to pay gas, props, time, etc. Not much in the end. Now if the party planner adds their 20% on top of what I charge, we're both happy and it's a win-win situation.

Just my thoughts...
Steve
SoCalPro
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern California
1634 Posts

Profile of SoCalPro
Quote:
I'm not an expert or anything, but wasn't it mentioned that a good planner will add their money ON TOP of what you charge?

Both parties involved have to give a little. You need to knock a few bucks off your fee so that they can add to it to make the offer attractive to their client. Chances are that the client is shopping around so if you and the agent don't negotiate, you run the risk of losing the gig.
magicofCurtis
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
2545 Posts

Profile of magicofCurtis
Want someone to pitch your show at no upfront-cost to you? What about free ads and you pay when someone actually books you from that ad? Do you desire this? Would you like to have this?

If yes..............

work with a GOOD event planner!!!!!!!!!!!

Magic_steve

A good planner will add their fee... But here is the deal....

If you charge $1,000 for the gig...
The event planner would have to charge a min of $1200 for the gig.
So the client may not have an attractive offer...

Now if you charge $800 for the gig and the event planner charges $1000 for the gig, now the client has a very attractive offer. Plus it makes the event planner feel competitive in price and they will use you when other gigs come up...

Consider it a cost of doing business along with your gas.... OR buy a big ad as they do and you will complain even MORE...

Event planners can bring as much as 20-50% of your gigs...

SOME major corporate events will only work through an event planner....
nucinud
View Profile
Inner circle
New York, New York
1298 Posts

Profile of nucinud
Quote:
On 2007-09-25 12:32, Timothy Drake wrote:
Be wary of Party Planners who call on behalf of Charities. They will give you the sob story about the good causes of the Charity to get you to lower your rates. Many times the party planner has a budget for the event from which they pay all expenses and they keep any remaining amount. Any amount you drop your rate is only going to leave them more surplus from that budget to keep for themselves.

Best,

Tim

Oh 100% spot on.
Being flexible to get the gig is one thing, getting riped off is another.
"We are what we pretend to be" Kurt Vonnegut, jr.

Now U C It Now U Don't

Harry Mandel

www.mandelmagic.com
SoCalPro
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern California
1634 Posts

Profile of SoCalPro
Not to mention that if your fee is too high, the agent might look at other magicians in their database. I'm not saying to low ball, all I am saying that it's a give and take relationship with agents.
Magic of Dan
View Profile
Regular user
St Charles, MO
115 Posts

Profile of Magic of Dan
Everyone's comments are great food for thought. Thanks again.
Dan
The Magic of Dan
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Having been an agency owner, there are facts to consider when working with an agent.

1. Agents work on commissions. The higher the ticket, the more they make.

2. Most good agents have more acts available to them than they can ever use.

3. Smart agents put keeping the talent buyer's business ahead of keeping the talent's business.

4. An agent values his reputation more than that of the talent. He will recommend acts that make him look good to the talent buyer.

5. Reality is that agents "bracket" the fee structures of acts. (Don't get yourself into a bracket that doesn't fit you. It may keep you from being considered in "bracket" where you do belong.) Moving from one "bracket" to another is often very difficult.

6. Agency is a free-standing business. Talent is just inventory. Do not expect an agent to do for you what a personal manager does. Developing your career is not the agent's job. An agent's job is to contract talent for talent buyers.

Another label problem: Party Planners are a very small subset of Event Planners. Event Planners can offer a much greater range of booking opportunities for your act. Event Planners typically work with much larger budgets and the more stable talent buyers.

In 2008, I will also be touring my "Business of Magic" lecture. Hope I see you there.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Bill Nuvo
View Profile
Inner circle
3094 Posts or
2742 Posts

Profile of Bill Nuvo
Quote:
On 2007-09-24 10:22, Al Angello wrote:
Mr. Bill
There is nothing wrong with DJ's I have had agents book me with DJ's many times, but when I tell them how much I charge they get quite angry and tell me "what makes you think you are more valuable than I am" so with few exceptins they are small time, no talent, nobodies hiding behind their CD collection. Bill except for you how many DJ's belong to this forum? I realize you are a man with many talents, but you are in the minority among DJ's.

Peter Loughran is a DJ I believe. Al, you are right. Most DJs are talentless and couldn't put together a descent playlist. Most think way too highly of themselves. Most don't even know how to tell what key the music is in. Most don't even know how to mix. Most haven't even touched vinyl or even heard of Al Jarreau.

I can't tell you how often I have to correct festivals (I'm on several committees) about entertainers. Most feel we all have regular jobs and therefore shouldn't charge a lot. Most think buskers are free entertainment. Most will go with local teenage volunteers facepainting with paint sticks than go with professionals. Event planners often think the same way. Some don't (and these are ones that have been in business for over 10 years).
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Mr. Bill baby
You know you are my favorite DJ
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
Bill Nuvo
View Profile
Inner circle
3094 Posts or
2742 Posts

Profile of Bill Nuvo
How much do I owe ya?
SeaDawg
View Profile
Special user
The Lunatic Fringe
718 Posts

Profile of SeaDawg
Bill, I still find it difficult to take seriously someone who has a "plunger hickey" on his head....

But you are a funny funny man... hopefully we can work some other festivals together....
Crazy people take the psycho-path thru the forest...
keithmagic
View Profile
Veteran user
375 Posts

Profile of keithmagic
Instead of all the throwing prices out like monkey feces on a wall, and seeing what sticks... why not ask the planners you wish to work with what kind of money THEY can get YOU?

It's not veyr hard, and is WAAAAAY more effective than you may think. Just asking the simple question of "what kind of budget are we working with here" can take a lot of the guess work out...

Keith
Author of "The Festival Entertainer" The Professional Entertainer's Guide to Booking and Working Outdoor Fairs, Festivals, and Events.
Available at http://www.howtobookfestivals.com
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Keith, do you mean have an actual relationship with the guy? Find out a whole bunch of information before even continuing calling back and forth>? How can that possibly work?

Isn't it a lot better to just throw stuff against the wall and see what sticks? Have him call you with prices way too low and you tell him prices that are way to high and waste everyones time?

Come on man where are you from>?????????
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
magicofCurtis
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
2545 Posts

Profile of magicofCurtis
Keith,

"why not ask the planners you wish to work with what kind of money THEY can get YOU?"

I find that works most of the time...

But, some larger event planners just want a price to present to their client... Biggger the better if you can bring something cool to the table.... Smile
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Curtis, what Keith means is this. IF a planner can only get you X dollars from any client in their computer, and you cost XXX then it is pointless to use them.

Rather than just throwing prices around and wasting a bunch of time.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
TheDean
View Profile
Inner circle
Reno, Nevada
2164 Posts

Profile of TheDean
Danny is once again the sage on the subject!
Dean Hankey, *M.D. - The Dean of Success Solutions!
Serving & Supporting YOU and Your Success!
"Book More Shows... Make More Money... SERVE MORE PEOPLE! - Not Necessarily In That Order…"

(*Marketing Doctor) Smile
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Oh and I read somewhere where time is money.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Andy the cardician
View Profile
Inner circle
A street named after my dad
3362 Posts

Profile of Andy the cardician
Spot on Danny . . .
Cards never lie
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Tried to get in with a party planner, I cost too much (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL