The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Digital Dissolve Inquiry » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4..18~19~20 [Next]
sahunhong
View Profile
Regular user
158 Posts

Profile of sahunhong
Mmm.. should have given it to me Smile

SH

P.S. Don't take me wrong, I respect every ORIGINAL magic creator.
Tom G
View Profile
Inner circle
2683 Posts

Profile of Tom G
Kyf, you must have got the last gaff from Steve as he no longer sells them. So here's the question. I have/had one of the original Copper/Silver Transpo's from the 70's. Still in the original plastic bag. I have looked everywhere and can only think it didn't make the trip during a recent move. I've gone through my bins countless times. Not wanting to support the rip off..... there doesn't seem to be any options. If someone has a good idea, please let me know.
Tom
jimbowmanjr
View Profile
Veteran user
Inside the Bottle
320 Posts

Profile of jimbowmanjr
I actually inquired to Schoolcraft about the availability of the gimmick needed for the C/S Transo and was told if I wanted it I would need to get it through T11, or wait until December or later. Not many options available in all honesty as Lassen is probably the only other reliable source I know of for quality coins.

--Jim
John T Cox
View Profile
Veteran user
384 Posts

Profile of John T Cox
I found the same when I contacted Schoolcraft. I guess they are busy making them for T11
The real magic is family!
Kyf
View Profile
Loyal user
UK, England (but Scottish by birth)
265 Posts

Profile of Kyf
Hi,

This is terrible - then it's a rip-off with a single source.

Dunno about you folks - but that does seem like they owe Steve something in all of this.

BTW - you can make the gaff from an expanded shell - I just converted one of my Morgan Silver Dollars into a Slippery Sam - but you GOTTA be good with your hands and tools.

PM me if you want details.

Kyf
"I put tape on the mirrors in my house so I don't accidentally walk through into another dimension." Steve Wright
sahunhong
View Profile
Regular user
158 Posts

Profile of sahunhong
Same here!

I'm disappointed in Schoolcraft ATM Smile

Kyf,

Do you think an e[ EngPenny shell from Hopping Half would work out? Give me a message on Skype (Sahun Hong) or MSN messenger (Mathnerd718@hotmail.com)

Thanks!!!
Sahun
Kyf
View Profile
Loyal user
265 Posts

Profile of Kyf
Hi,

I suggest anyone interested in this should get Steve's DVD - it's still advertised and he described his copper/silver routine, the gaff and details of many other wonderful effects - all of which are described as "Things you can make"....

Sahun, hi,

You can pick up an expanded penny shell (check google) for around $20 - $25.

If you buy that and Steve's original work (1982 lectures) you get a HEAP more value than the DD DVD.

Also Steve is a very nice guy and has produced (and was selling) over 300 different effects - it's worth doing a little bit of research just to find out about his enormous contribution to the world of magic.

Kyf
"I put tape on the mirrors in my house so I don't accidentally walk through into another dimension." Steve Wright
lunatik
View Profile
Inner circle
2725 Posts

Profile of lunatik
Quick question. Does anyone carry theirs in a Scotch & Soda leather pouch? I was thinking about trying it, but wasn't sure how safe the gimmick would be in there while in your pocket.
"Don't let your Dreams become Fantasies"
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Lee Asher is involved in this, so I'm surprised at these issues raised as Lee is quiet a stickler on ethics in magic.
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
Chad Barnard
View Profile
Special user
Mt. Airy, NC
763 Posts

Profile of Chad Barnard
Here's Desouza's take on the whole thing. Since he was the head of ethics for the SAM, I think his word carries a little weight:

"Hi All,

First, to JTW, I do not claim any authority on anything in magic, however, I know the history on this matter. Please pay attention to what you are about to read, because I do not intend to post on this issue again. You will not hear any rebuttal to these facts from Fulves, Elliott or Guitar, because to do so would be a lie. Steve Dusheck created the sliding shell in the mid-60's. He sold one of the first ones to J.G. Thompson. He gave Eddie Gibson of England the right to manufacture and market the idea with Steve's Slippery Sam routine in 1970. Gibson marketed it and the copyright date on the instructions is 1971. Bob Elliott bought a set and worked out his routine. Karl Fulves asked for permission to publish it, which he did in Pallbearer's Review. BTW, for BJ's information, that magazine did not exist in the 50's. Fulves claimed that the idea for the sliding shell was old, but when challenged on that fact, he later recanted and admitted that Dusheck created it.

Steve showed his routine to Don Alan. Pressley Guitar was there and freaked out over it. He bugged Steve for it and Steve not only showed him the gaff but explained exactly how to make it.

B.J. Bueno spoke to Steve Dusheck several years ago and wanted his permission to market his routine. Steve offered to sell him the gaffs wholesale "As long as he was not marketing it as a Copper/Silver Transposition". B.J. could not do that. He went to Todd Lassen to get the gaffs made, but Lassen did not have Steve's permission to do that. Jamie Schoolcraft asked Steve for permission to make the gaffs for customers. Steve gave him permission on the assumtion that it would be for guys who wanted a special version of the gaff. I don't believe that T11 told Jamie what they wanted the gaffs for, but I cannot attest to that fact for certain. All I know is that I was called by a mutual friend who said that "Jamie is sick over this and wants to talk to Steve to make things right".

I spoke to Steve Duscheck the other evening and he is sick over this whole fiasco. I feel the same way. I find it very distressing that several talented young men who I call friends would stoop to this level of thievery. I have had the pleasure of calling Steve Dusheck my friend for many years. He has helped me over the years in so many ways, not the least of which creating effects specifically for my repertoire. I consider him one of the five most creative men, if not in the entire history of magic, at least in the last 100 years. It is a pity that repeated activities such as this have caused him to retreat from magic. Everyone in our art will suffer for that, instead of being able to enjoy so many more fruits of his labors.

Marc DeSouza"

BJ and T11 have not disputed this post, which is on their forums.
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
I just wrote Lee Asher about this. He should come here and post and he was involved in this effect.

rutabaga
View Profile
Inner circle
Toronto, Canada
1276 Posts

Profile of rutabaga
Good luck with that...
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Quote:
On 2007-10-14 16:13, rutabaga wrote:
Good luck with that...

He won't respond? Then I'm afraid he will no longer be able to comment about Magic Makers without this coming up.

lunatik
View Profile
Inner circle
2725 Posts

Profile of lunatik
Anyone have an answer to my question Smile
Kyf
View Profile
Loyal user
265 Posts

Profile of Kyf
Hi Lunatik,

Your question was off topic which is why I think no-one replied.

I carry all my coins either in leather coin cases (half dollars), JOL cases (dollars) or the small Goshman purses (schoolcraft sets), everything tight and secure for the gaffs - so far no damage.

However I don't bash them around and the coins cases are secured in briefcase/pack when travelling.

The Dusheck Silver/Copper set I carry in a 6 half dollars pocket coin case from emagictricks.co.uk (search on coin case).

Keep everything nested so there is little chance of any damage in transit - the coin case also allows you to hold a metal bang ring in the folds.

Like everything in life - treat it with due respect and you'll get a lifetimes use out of the gaff.

Kyf
MickeyPainless
View Profile
Inner circle
California
6074 Posts

Profile of MickeyPainless
Yep, what Kyf does!
lunatik
View Profile
Inner circle
2725 Posts

Profile of lunatik
Thanks for the reply. But I'm really curious as to how I'm off topic when this topic is about DD. I assume that I would get flamed if I started a whole new topic for such a simple question as to how you would carry these type of coins. Unless I wasn't getting into the discussion as to who really invented the trick and who stole it, then yes I would be totally off topic. At anyrate, I do appreciate all that you wrote and I will give it shot!! Thanks again!
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27084 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Quote:
On 2007-10-14 01:49, lunatik wrote:
Quick question. Does anyone carry theirs in a Scotch & Soda leather pouch? I was thinking about trying it, but wasn't sure how safe the gimmick would be in there while in your pocket.

Here's his question. Anybody have the pouch and want to give him an answer?

I understand your concern for the safety of the gaff and interest in carrying it around. Sorry I don't have a scotch and soda pouch and so can't offer you an answer.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Hart Keene
View Profile
Inner circle
Eugene, OR
1486 Posts

Profile of Hart Keene
Quote:
On 2007-10-14 18:09, Christopher Kavanagh wrote:
Quote:
On 2007-10-14 16:13, rutabaga wrote:
Good luck with that...

He won't respond? Then I'm afraid he will no longer be able to comment about Magic Makers without this coming up.

Oh cmon you guys!!!! Lee is an Artist for theory 11. Until you have proof that he is involved with this "thievery" don't point fingers. Just because he doesn't come on here to entertain silly accusations doesn't mean he is guilty. I know for fact that he is very busy right now and traveling. Please don't post rumors about Lee, he has done a lot to fight theft in the current magic market.
-Hart

Check out my website:
Magician Portland Oregon
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27084 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Quote:
On 2007-10-14 12:20, Christopher Kavanagh wrote:
I just wrote Lee Asher about this. He should come here and post and he was involved in this effect.

I don't know about "should".

I doubt he had any interest in so deeply insulting Steve Dusheck or participaing in a team effort to offer a dubious product.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Digital Dissolve Inquiry » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4..18~19~20 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL