The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Crossing the road... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

tom hughes
View Profile
Loyal user
225 Posts

Profile of tom hughes
Firstly, thanks to everyone on this site who have not only been very forthright and encouraging with their opinions but also very tolerant of my stupid/ naive questions.

So, here goes with another one...

My regular pitch is quite small and there are plenty of people "trickle" busking in town, in quite a small area on a Friday or Saturday evening it is not unusual to see me with my table, a balloon twister, a face painter, a human statue, a spraypainter, a couple of musicians and a juggler all in a relativelly small area. Since we are practically on top of each other and since I am the only one who does a show and passes that hat crowd size can be limited by the amount of available space. I rarely have a problem drawing a crowd but that crowd is rarely more than 30 people or so because there is simply no more room for more ( I've even seen kids sitting in a tree to watch).Logically my hats are equally limited by my crowd size and although I'm doing quite well ( I think) I'm begginning to toy with making a change. Your advice, as ever is appreciated...

My thoughts are;

1) make my show a lot shorter, it's about 35 mins long right now and I'm doing three or four a night... should I reduce it to, say, 20 mins and do more shows?

2) do more "trickle" style busking... don't worry about crowd size at all and work non stop doing mostly close up.

3) cross the road to a larger pitch which is sometimes used by a juggler friend but which lacks foot traffic and lighting ( provide your own) and may make for a harder build.

Or do I finally just head out and check out other towns... didn't make it to Charlotte... any thoughts on Helen, Georgia?

Thanks

tom
http://www.ashevillemagic.com
http://www.themagictomshow.com
magician/magic show in asheville w.n.c.
Kozmo
View Profile
V.I.P.
5473 Posts

Profile of Kozmo
.not that I know anything but heres my answer and of course this is just one mans opinion...its seems to me that once you have a crowd that is as big as it can get because of space then theres not much sense in going much longer...so why bother...its a matter of diminishing returns now isn't it?...

I love small show and I love to do them all day long...less energy, good money and I can do about 5 an hour...

a really great street magician and I had a competetion on royal street in new orleans once...he did his 45 minute huge circle thing and I did my 3 12 minute shows and I made more money....proof is in the puddon isn't it?

I love doing the big show ...certain kind of ego building energy there....but recently I told a friend this and I know that the new guys wont understand it but here it goes...

I HAVE NO INTEREDT IN DOING MAGIC WITH OUT MAKING MONEY! for me to make money I have to leave my house and that means I'm away from my son, wife, dogs, tv, bed..kitchen, refrig and all the things that I count as important in my life so there comes a times when its all about money and the sooner the better for all of you...i have stood infront of 10, 000 audiences in my life and I have been there and done that and I'm over it...dont misunderstand me...I LIVE MY LIFE and I love what this life has givin me BUT its all about money...and money is a reflection of how your audience liked you...THATS THE TRUTH to all the purists that don't make money and blame it on I'm in it for the art...the guys who sleep on their friends couch...

don't end up an old man with no money waiting to die and being bitter...blaming everyone around you for your failure to take care of your future

heres my advice....build yourself a really nice sidewalk show and a great circle show...both are the same just ones smaller and quicker...if you have both you will always be able to make money...guys who do BIG shows are ALWAYS chasing a pitch...put your ego aside and be willing to do that sidewalk show for $25 or $30 a hat...ONE AFTER THE OTHER...and you will always have a place to work...work when the suns is out...dont be lazy because it might rain tomorrow.....go get the cash my friends...work unti you cant work anymore...and always set goals for the day and don't quit until you reach them or die trying...dont make a lot of friends on the pitch because they will come around and slow you down...want to talk...less shows less money...always wear sun screen, always have chap stick....always drink lots of water ...and always keep the courage tht it took for you to go out there in the first place...thats my advice

I'm interested in lecturing if anyone is interested in having me?... Smile

good luck
koz
BAH1313
View Profile
Elite user
Ohio
445 Posts

Profile of BAH1313
YES!

Thanks for that Koz!

Guys, this is real advice. I believe it because I learned this lesson, and my life is better for it.
I am truly blessed to have a job where people are laughing all the time and everyone believes in magic....Come to think of it, I'm blessed to even have a job.
DevynS
View Profile
New user
98 Posts

Profile of DevynS
I say make a lot shorter show. Say 8-10 mins. Just run this show all day long.
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3528 Posts

Profile of gaddy
Shorter show. you'll do more shows for more people and make more money overall.
*due to the editorial policies here, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
acephale
View Profile
New user
91 Posts

Profile of acephale
Quote:
...dont make a lot of friends on the pitch because they will come around and slow you down...

Lines like that are the reason I read this forum, because man oh man I learned that the hard way in this past month.
Kozmo
View Profile
V.I.P.
5473 Posts

Profile of Kozmo
And the thing is....almost anyone can do a short show....less time to fill ...you don't have to be as far along in your career...trust me on this....i do a circle show most of the time now but I have been down the raod a few times...nothing wrong with builing a GREAT sidewalk show and kicking ass and not sleepin on your friends couch!

koz
Wayne Whiting
View Profile
Regular user
181 Posts

Profile of Wayne Whiting
Ah, the forever humble Koz. "....Not that I know anything."

Thank you for that post Koz. If you're ever booked as a lecturer, let me know where and I will be there. Unfortunately, I am an audience of one (well two if you include my yellow lab...He loves the cups and balls).
Genius is 1% inspiration and 99% perspiration. Thomas Edison

www.terrylagerold.com
JoeJoe
View Profile
Inner circle
Myrtle Beach
1915 Posts

Profile of JoeJoe
Just try each of your options till you figure out which one works the best for you.

My guess is that at certain times, a trickle will work best ... while other times a sidewalk show works best ... and other times, doing the circle show would be your best option.

In other words, don't limit yourself - do whatever works best at the moment.

-JoeJoe
Amazing JoeJoe on YouTube[url=https://www.youtube.com/user/AmazingJoeJoe]
tom hughes
View Profile
Loyal user
225 Posts

Profile of tom hughes
Thanks guys,

knew I'd get some food for thought. Only problem is that I've no frame of reference... never even seen a sidewalk show before and only ever seen circle shows on DVDs.... guess that'll force me to be more original though!

I'm definitelly going to have to expand my repertoire.... I honestly think it'll be harder for me to build a good 10 min show than it was for my current show ( it's easier to buil to a logical conclusion/finale with a longer build surely).
http://www.ashevillemagic.com
http://www.themagictomshow.com
magician/magic show in asheville w.n.c.
scaevola
View Profile
Loyal user
251 Posts

Profile of scaevola
Thanks for all the good adivce
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Crossing the road... (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL