The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » "The Coin Patriot" by Reed McClintock...... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..11~12~13~14 [Next]
mystre71
View Profile
Inner circle
martinsburg west virginia
1693 Posts

Profile of mystre71
RE:Second, I am not a fan of "painting a picture" with coins because of the fact in a restaurant setting you do not have that much room on the customer's table.

Well Seth, if you read this thread like you say you did
then you would have known before buying the DVD that there was a large amount of coin production on it.

Also in the descriptions on the dvd says "seven coin production,six coin production, 13 coin production and 20 coin production.

You could have save yourself alot of time and money and just not got the DVD.

Also for a guy who prefers card over coins and doesn't like big coin production,
why even post something negative about a dvd on big coin productions?
AND on the biggest thread here that if you read the whole thing you would know everyone else here thinks it's a great dvd,And has moved coin magic up a level.

You said you and Reed had past issues so I think you came here just to stirr up trouble and Reed has acted very respectful about it.
so I'm going to say nothing else about it.

Joe
Walk around coin box work check it out here https://www.magicalmystries.com/products
Reed McClintock
View Profile
V.I.P.
772 Posts

Profile of Reed McClintock
For those of you who have the dvd you saw a credit given to a guy name Corey Burke and his notes "sense" These notes I highly reguard. If you guys want to see some excellent magic, Coreys notes are very worth your while. They inspired me a great deal. With out his three coin production I would have never went that direction for multiple production/ mini misers dream, again thank you corey.

Smile
"Stuff is anything, but magic is everything"

Reed McClintock 2003

SethHoward
View Profile
Loyal user
277 Posts

Profile of SethHoward
Here are some past posts from Reed about this:
"As far as a brand new offering to coin magic this is very fresh and new." Jun 19, 2003 8:21pm
"I have something to offer that is not on any other DVD available to the magic communities. It is a fresh perspective on several years of work and thought. This warrants mention in magical history. I realize that is an egotistical thing to say." Jun 20, 2003 11:38pm
mystre,
I did not wish to start a debate on this issue but let me give you my perspective on this again. The hype surrounding this dvd. All material on this is a re-working of previous routines. Yes in fact I have read all of this lit and followed it out of curiosity, especially when the creator says it "warrants mention in magical history". I am a fan of multiple coin productions, in fact I love the Miser's Dream for the seemingly impossiblity of coins being produced at the fingertips from "open" hands. When you palm 20 coins your hands are not open.
I will mention again some of the professionalism was lacking, "It's gone like a fart in the wind." This phrase deserves mention in magical history? I have already explained my views on the change in personality throughout the dvd.
My question to you mystre is this: If Reed has taken coin magic to the next level, what was the level before? I believe the levels were set long ago by men like David Roth, Michael Rubenstein, and Kurtis Kam. For magic to go to the next level one would have to surpass all the workings of these men and many more. Everytime I watch Roth on video I am flabbergasted. I almost feel as I am watching magic.
The very first version of 13 coins I saw floored me. I see no reason why you need to add a "picture" to the effect. To me this is not attaining a new level just because you make a picture with it. Besides, Reed is not the first magician to make pictures with coins.
This is not an attack on Reed or his magic, I have posted in other forums I like some of Reed's work. I helped setup Reed's first lecture here in Portland. He has a nice handling of Steve Dobson's dice routine, the "Ivory Connection." He also has a very good handling of the linking rings. Honestly I enjoyed Coin Ovations over the Coin Patriot.
My disappointment of the Coin Patriot was because it was being touted as taking coin magic to the next level and I did not see that. That is a huge claim to make. What was the level before? That is all I ask.
Seth
WandSpin
View Profile
New user
59 Posts

Profile of WandSpin
I'd liek for all of us to be very professional regarding Seth's post and questions. Some of us love Reed and naturally want to defend him. But to do so in a rude way defeats the prurpose of this beautiful forum. let's be an example to everyone that we can agree, to disagree.

Let's "pretend" we're in a real Café and sitting around a table. A good spirited debate is different from attacking.

OK?
Bill Citino
View Profile
Special user
Doylestown, PA
837 Posts

Profile of Bill Citino
Seth,

It seems that you aren't a big fan of any of the effects on the DVD. However are there any coins effects that you do prefer, I mean I can understand when others say that the DVD isn't for everyone. Personally I love the DVD, however in regards to the comment you made about going in and out of character, maybe that is Reed's character. Maybe the way he performs is two-sided. I'd just like to note that I'm not attacking anyone, I'm just posting my opinion.

-Bill
CoolMAgic4U
View Profile
Loyal user
New York
205 Posts

Profile of CoolMAgic4U
WandSpin couldn't have said it any better. Let's just all agree that we disagree on some things and let it slide.

Nothing will be gained by attacking someone for there OPINION. If Seth doesn't like it...so be it...

Maybe there are some things that he likes that you don't..is this a reason to have a big argument? NO!

Just like a relationship you have to respect the other persons opinion. Nothing is gained from trying to FORCE someone to agree with your OPINION.

Just my 2 cents on this issue.

PS I LOVED the DVD..but that is just me...LOL Smile
CoolMagic4U---aka---Ed Smile
Musashi
View Profile
Regular user
Oregon
132 Posts

Profile of Musashi
Quote:
On 2003-09-30 20:09, Reed McClintock wrote:
For those of you who have the dvd you saw a credit given to a guy name Corey Burke and his notes "sense" These notes I highly reguard. If you guys want to see some excellent magic, Coreys notes are very worth your while. They inspired me a great deal. With out his three coin production I would have never went that direction for multiple production/ mini misers dream, again thank you corey.

Smile

Hear hear! Corey is a good friend and a great magician! Keep your eyes peeled for this guy. His lecture notes are concise and well thought out. The Three coin production that inspired Reed is magical and fun. Check it out if you get a chance!

Reed!

I enjoy your presentations and thinking in all manner of things. Please keep it up!

About the DVD, I like the fact that Reed has worked out a magical and flowing production of multiple coins. It is inspiring me to look in new directions for coin magic. I think that is what is the best about Reed's work. Don't get stuck in the mud, and don't let anything stop you from trying to be different!

Josh
"Care for a Jelly Baby?"
James Harrison
View Profile
Special user
Ontario, Canada
762 Posts

Profile of James Harrison
The miser's dream plot is the main focus of the dvd. But being able to produce that many coins say in a short sleeved shirt, without diving in the pockets is an interesting development.

As there are different mediums in coin magic, (i..e. Misers dream, c/s transpo, coins across......) Reed focused on one.

Mainly because, and I believe he mentioned it on the dvd) that producing money from nowhere is like real magic.

What Reed put out is fresh, different, and worth mentioning. When I watched Reed produce all those coins, his hands didn't looked cramped. mainly because he wasn't classic palming twenty coins in his hands.

He was using another palm.

Though practice will have to be required to perform Reed's material, I don't think it should be condsidered non revolutionary.

"Gone, like a fart in the wind."

LOL, So I guess all the comments made by Jay Sankey in his "Revolutionary Coin Magic tape was considered alright? This was an educational tape, yet Jay makes mention of heroine, swears, and makes rude jokes.

Yet a lot of people refer to this tape as having some of the best coin magic on it.

For me personally, I'd rather learn Reed's stuff. Being able to produce the amount of cash that Reed does seems magicial to me.

For me, I've never had anyone look at me like I was a rude magician for asking someone to move something on the table. (Mind you, if you are performing when they already have food, you've picked the wrong time to be there [Not you personally Seth, just commenting to the use of the restaurant table])

I've asked people to move their drinks so I could perform Reed's 13 coin matrix.

In fact, when I've gone to a table and said I was a magician, people have moved stuff on the table without me even mentioning it. So performing Reed's material shouldn't be a problem.

As for knowing where the coins come from, well, you knew what the dvd was before you got it. The dvd was discussed before it even came out.

Reed was asked what was involved for this dvd, and he mentioned what the hardest thing was on the dvd. Being able to palm twenty coins. (Not all in the same hand, 12 in one, 8 in the other) I've practiced palming ten coins in each hand, and although I can't put my hand out in front of me and spread my hand out, at my side, the hand looks normal, as it also does when producing the coins. Practice it will take.

So we all knew where the coins where coming from when we watched it.

But when I showed the performance part to my magician friends, who aren't into coin magic, and didn't know anything about it. They were shocked, they had no idea where he was getting all the coins.

Just thought I'd mention that.
Lonnie Dilan
View Profile
Special user
Canyon Country, California
823 Posts

Profile of Lonnie Dilan
Reed Rocks!!!!

Coin Power!!

Seth, I take it you have never seen him work in person. Maybe you would change your tune a bit.

Reed, I heard about your heart. I'm glad you are better now.
SethHoward
View Profile
Loyal user
277 Posts

Profile of SethHoward
Lonnie,
Please refer to my above post. I helped setup Reed's first lecture in Portland. I have seen him work in person.
Seth
(Also I am not a fan of Jay Sankey because of his crassness.)
truthteller
View Profile
Inner circle
2584 Posts

Profile of truthteller
I have seen Reed perform in person. I was left cold. It is clear that his magic is difficult to perform. It is also clear that his magic is difficult for him to perform. Producing a gazillion coins is not in and of itself magical, producing a gazillion coins magically is. When laypeople see Reed, I am sure they recognize that it takes skill to do what he does. But I also believe they do not walk away with a feeling of having seen magic. Reed is a great juggler of tiny metal objects.
Reed McClintock
View Profile
V.I.P.
772 Posts

There are alot of people who do not like other people. Whether or not it is magic, music, construction etc. I thank you folks that support me and I thank you who don't. Life is to short to get worked up over something so trivial. I don't personally have the time to get involved right now. I have a paying gig to get to.

Smile Break free. I have and it feels great.

Reed McClintock 2003

Jason London
View Profile
Loyal user
Napa Valley
207 Posts

Profile of Jason London
Greetings,

Great post, Reed! I agree, life is just to short...live it to the fullest!

By the way, had lot's of fun in Hollywood. We'll have to do the Castle again soon! I'll call you this weekend and we'll chat.
Jason London

This space for rent
totalpackage56
View Profile
Regular user
152 Posts

Profile of totalpackage56
I personally love Coin Patriot, and all of Reeds work, yet we should not attack Mr. Howard or his product based on his opinion. But, like Reed said, this is all so trivial anyways. What I'm interested in is Reed's new products, the T&R card and Cups and Balls routine. Any more info Reed?
Quote:
Break free I have and it feels great.

Amen
Reed McClintock
View Profile
V.I.P.
772 Posts

I just finished the edditing on the cups and balls routine. Tonight we will be inserting all of the photos. Probably about a month away. The torn and restored card is not far behind that. Knuckle busters four will come out after the Cups and balls. Smile

Reed McClintock 2003

Lonnie Dilan
View Profile
Special user
Canyon Country, California
823 Posts

Profile of Lonnie Dilan
My bad Seth. Can you please change your picture to something a bit more happy? You look so mad there.

Smile, you're a magician!!
-------
KB4!!!

Whew! Dude, you are a freaking machine!!
totalpackage56
View Profile
Regular user
152 Posts

Profile of totalpackage56
Reed, anxiously awaiting all of your new material, while still loving the old! I know this doesn't fit into the topic here, but I figured I may as well ask here. Reed, I respect and enjoy all of your work and was wondering, what makes your C&B routine different from the rest? Also, any timetable for the universal heavy/light gimmick?
wu tang
View Profile
New user
Vancouver, BC Canada
54 Posts

Profile of wu tang
Well I'm sure glad to know that you are doing well now reed.
I'm not much of a coin guy myself but when I saw reed this summer at the pcam 2003, he totally floored me!!!his coin work is just amazing!not to mention that he is so good with cards!his mcclintock twist is done so smoothly like water!!!he was kind enough to share with all of us many of the routines.i practiced the twist for the next few days and finally got the hang of it. for those who have never seen the twist...i suggest you go buy the video!!! it does take a lot of practice tho.seeing reed performing live in person at the pcam was worth the whole ticket price!!!i totally loved it!
it is just sad that his health is not too good.i really hope that you are feeling better and hope that ur health improves. not all of us are given a second chance to live again...reed getting a second chance ...well that in my opinion is magic.
hope to see you one day again reed
wu tang
Reed McClintock
View Profile
V.I.P.
772 Posts

Thank you for the kind words Wu Tang, and I am glad your handling the twist. It is a fun bit of business.

Hi Total Package Thank you for your support also, and to answer your question. The Cups and balls has been developed over a long period. I start out three ahead then two behind, then one behind. the cups are seen empty and then the loads are revealed. I found a gret time to make the load of all three limes in one beat of misdirection. You don't have to expose the method as so many of other C&B routines do at the end for the loading sequence. Not that it is bad nor are the other routines, just was not me. This is Not the ultimate and I am not claiming it to be, but it is another way you can do the cups and balls with serious impact. I love this loading concept. Also I have something in there , a sort of one handed sylvester pitch for reloading a ball. Built on the same priciple as the pitch. I hope this helps. Pete Biro really liked it, and seemed excited when I said I was going to release it.
Like I said if you have a strong working cups and balls routine you may pass on this one. It will be spendy, I tell you all this upfront. I am also including my ring on wand routine also. I know Lonnie will like it, this is right up his alley. I didn't get a chance to show ya Lonnie. I love it Smile

Reed McClintock 2003

WandSpin
View Profile
New user
59 Posts

Profile of WandSpin
Reed will the cups and balls be on DVD ( I don't' learn well from print-dyslexic )
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » "The Coin Patriot" by Reed McClintock...... (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..11~12~13~14 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL