The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Sweeney Todd! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2758 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On 2007-09-29 00:18, paisa23 wrote:
Not to Hijack but if we are talking about this. I trully feel that RENT the movie did a fantastic job. Now I saw the second cast on Broadway and found a whole new love for Musicals, but the move did very well with capturing it to film. But I do not expect Tim Burton to do the same. I feel a very errie adaptation of this.

You are right. Both RENT and HAIRSPRAY have done wonderful jobs of adapting themselves to the screen. But it is rare (in the case of RENT) to see something stay as faithful as they did _and_ keep (I think) the original cast _and_ actually be successful! The only other case I can think of is "1776," which used much of the original cast and tried to stay faithful to the stage production. I love the movie, but I'm aware it's "stagy" and stilted.

Do you think there's any chance of WICKED making it to the screen and will they be able to pull it off? (Since WICKED was produced largely by a movie studio, I imagine there has to be plans to film it at some point.)
"There's no time to lose," I heard her say.
"Catch your dreams before they slip away."
"Dying all the time, lose your dreams and you could lose your mind.
Ain't life unkind?"
coupcoupdaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
2466 Posts

Profile of coupcoupdaddy
My Dear Mr. Garland,

We show Sweeney Todd to our ninth grade American English students every October as an introduction to opera and the industrial age.

We fell to our knees and wept when we first discovered the GS painting in Chicago while singing from Sunday in the Park on the way up the steps and into the room....had no prior idea it was there. Students were impressed and we joyfully tearfully explained why we were so moved.

We are very much looking forward to the new film production as well.

Your friend and mythogenicist,

--coupcoupdaddy
foreign correspondent, z and lt

inner being worker
Eddie Garland
View Profile
Inner circle
Hells Kitchen, New York City
4208 Posts

Profile of Eddie Garland
MARIE
You would have liked him,
Mama, you would.
Mama, he makes things-
Mama, they're good.
Just as you said from the start:
Children and art...
(starts nodding off)
Children and art...
leapinglizards
View Profile
Inner circle
1263 Posts

Profile of leapinglizards
I chose and my world was shaken, so what?
That choice may have been mistaken, the choosing was not.
Leaping Lizards!!! Who knew it was possible.
<BR>
<BR>www.LeapingLizardsMagic.com
Doug Higley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Here and There
7173 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
I like the 'Rent' knockoff in Team America. Very funny stuff.

Having seen many stage musicals in all their power it is surprising how well many turn into moving films. Must be the respect shown to the stage from really creative folks behind the cameras. My favorites include 'Oklahoma' (I thought the film was actually better than the stage show I saw)...'Evita' excellent direction and Madonna was terrific (go ahead and groan).

Burton is awful quirky and rather prone to redirect things toward the wacky but Sweeny should be pretty interesting though I understand MUCH music and songs were cut from the script (according to Sondhiem) as the cut he saw was just an hour and 45 minutes. (Doesn't sound right does it.)

I saw a stage production of the touring Bwy cast of Fiddler On The Roof that was outstanding but still the performance of Topol is hard to match just like George Hearn will be difficult to replace as Todd. I think many will see Jack Sparrow with Barber Chair but it will get my money anyway.

One interesting note (to me anyway)...I never got into (at all) the Sound Of Music. Can't get through it. BUT I did see a production on stage that was a mind blower...the show was stopped DEAD...lights came up as the heavily armed uniformed Nazi's (Flags flying) marched (Goose stepped) down the aisles and took over the theater... intimidating and roughing up the the cast and the audience...shouting in German, weapons pointed. The cast was rounded up and marched out of the theater. Lights fade to Intermission.

Holy crap. (literally)
Higley's Giant Flea Pocket Zibit
rossmacrae
View Profile
Inner circle
Arlington, Virginia
2449 Posts

Profile of rossmacrae
Doug, that reminds me of the production of HENRY V done by friends ALL OVER the grounds of a church that was once a private mansion with hills, thickets, outbuildings, garden walls, acres of it - the audience was moved all over the place, never sitting, sometimes having to hustle or even jog from place to place each scene, and it actually added to the effect that you might arrive at the next scene a minute late. Visionary and utterly magical.

And I still think - Johnny Depp as Sweeney? Why not just go ahead and cast Jim Carrey and abandon all hope?
Doug Higley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Here and There
7173 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
Now THAT would be a Henry the 8th!!! I love that concept except the jogging part...that would be the one time I'd rent the Power Chair.
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2758 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On 2007-09-29 20:54, rossmacrae wrote:
And I still think - Johnny Depp as Sweeney? Why not just go ahead and cast Jim Carrey and abandon all hope?

I disagree. If anybody can make this work with the proper mix of creepy atmosphere and gory thrills, it'll be Burton and Depp.
Ain't life unkind?"
Doug Higley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Here and There
7173 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/1809834155/video/4367764

Above: The Trailer. Cinematography looks outrageous. Depp as usual looks INTO it.
Will be there. Smile
coupcoupdaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
2466 Posts

Profile of coupcoupdaddy
Thank you, Doug!
foreign correspondent, z and lt

inner being worker
michaelmystic2003
View Profile
Inner circle
2910 Posts

Profile of michaelmystic2003
This looks supremely creepy. Excellent!
Follow Michael Kras on Twitter! http://www.twitter.com/KrasMagic

Check out The Kras Change at Vanishing Inc Magic! http://www.vanishingincmagic.com/magic-downloads/ebooks/kras-change/
rossmacrae
View Profile
Inner circle
Arlington, Virginia
2449 Posts

Profile of rossmacrae
Quote:
On 2007-10-04 19:23, Doug Higley wrote:
Depp as usual looks INTO it.

Yeah, maybe he can act it - but (as the trailer briefly demonstrates) he can't sing, he doesn't even have a decent voice to sing with.
WagsterMagic
View Profile
Special user
Myrtle Beach, SC
639 Posts

Profile of WagsterMagic
I love the original. Lansbaury and Hearn did a fabulous jobs but I feel that Depp and Carter will do well also.

Nothing can beat the original theatrics of Sondhiems creation.

But I feel Burton will do a wonderful job and give it that Burton twist that we all love and adore.

Can't wait to see it.

Best
Brandon
The Wagsters: World Class Magic & Illusion
www.wagstermagic.com
leapinglizards
View Profile
Inner circle
1263 Posts

Profile of leapinglizards
The web site was updated with sound clips now. He sounds pretty good- SHE does not. Oy.
Leaping Lizards!!! Who knew it was possible.
<BR>
<BR>www.LeapingLizardsMagic.com
rossmacrae
View Profile
Inner circle
Arlington, Virginia
2449 Posts

Profile of rossmacrae
Maybe I'm just old and out of touch, but every one of Depp's performances seem "ironic" in the modern sense - meaning they all have that Adam-West-like "I'm really just having fun with this, watch me smirk" quality.

Whatever happened to straight-ahead acting, and owning the character you get paid to portray?
Scott Cram
View Profile
Inner circle
2677 Posts

Profile of Scott Cram
I was just reading about the new Depp version yesterday, in Cracked's list of the 8 Manliest Musicals.
johnnymystic
View Profile
Inner circle
North Adams Ma.
1576 Posts

Profile of johnnymystic
Johnny Depps voice sounds weak, I've shown my whole family the videos of the 1982 Broadway version and they totally dig 'em man! My 8yr old son came home from school the other day and the first thing he did was watch the videos on youtube...hehehehe, kids. Smile
I drink cheap tequila and vomit
<BR>I cannot eat hot wings...acid reflux
<BR>I never inhale Smile
<BR>I can put a field dress on a deer
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2758 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On 2007-12-04 11:31, rossmacrae wrote:
Maybe I'm just old and out of touch, but every one of Depp's performances seem "ironic" in the modern sense - meaning they all have that Adam-West-like "I'm really just having fun with this, watch me smirk" quality.

Whatever happened to straight-ahead acting, and owning the character you get paid to portray?

I see the irony you're talking about in Capt. Jack Sparrow and Willie Wonka, not so much in his Don Juan Demarco or in his Icabod Crane (although it was a tough stretch changing Crane from a gawky school teacher to the beginnings of what we would now understand as a forensic detective! And still make him massively superstitious at the same time!)
Ain't life unkind?"
blwrjw
View Profile
Regular user
The Top of the Mountains
177 Posts

Profile of blwrjw
Quote:
On 2007-12-08 00:30, mandrake01 wrote:
Quote:
On 2007-12-04 11:31, rossmacrae wrote:

I see the irony you're talking about in Capt. Jack Sparrow and Willie Wonka, not so much in his Don Juan Demarco or in his Icabod Crane (although it was a tough stretch changing Crane from a gawky school teacher to the beginnings of what we would now understand as a forensic detective! And still make him massively superstitious at the same time!)

Agreed. And I thought Depp's Aberline in From Hell was very straight ahead.

B.
...before you go rushing off to show your friends a new field of miracles, you should get well acquainted with tools of the trade.
-- Tony Corinda

One can never have enough socks...
-- Albus Dumbledore
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2758 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Well, he's never going to be the original "Sweeny," but at least we see here that he's not trying to "talk" his way through the part.

http://www.ifilm.com/video/2914500?cmpni......=2914500
Ain't life unkind?"
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Sweeney Todd! (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL