The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Sweeney Todd! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
johnnymystic
View Profile
Inner circle
North Adams Ma.
1576 Posts

Profile of johnnymystic
Well, Johnny didn't sound so bad in this last clip
I drink cheap tequila and vomit
<BR>I cannot eat hot wings...acid reflux
<BR>I never inhale Smile
<BR>I can put a field dress on a deer
michaelmystic2003
View Profile
Inner circle
2910 Posts

Profile of michaelmystic2003
What an absolutely amazing film. Just got back from it, Depp and Carter really bring new life to the lead roles. The music, visual effects were all masterfully done. Go see this today, but be forewarned that this is also one of the most violently graphic films I have ever seen.
Follow Michael Kras on Twitter! http://www.twitter.com/KrasMagic

Check out The Kras Change at Vanishing Inc Magic! http://www.vanishingincmagic.com/magic-downloads/ebooks/kras-change/
CJRichard
View Profile
Special user
Massachusetts
542 Posts

Profile of CJRichard
I agree with Michaelmystic, but the "violence" doesn't occur any more frequently than it does in the stage version. We see it very clearly, though. There is lots of blood running from slit throats. The blood is such a very bright poster-paint red that it actually takes some of the realism out of it.

I just wish the Ballad of Sweeney Todd had not been left out. At the very least it could have been sung over the end credits.

It was a fantastic film, though.
"You know some of you are laughin', but there's people here tryin' to learn. . ." -Pop Haydn

"I know of no other art that proclaims itself 'easy to do.'" -Master Payne

Ezekiel the Green
michaelmystic2003
View Profile
Inner circle
2910 Posts

I heard that Ballad was left out because it was deemed too theatrical for the film, and since a ballad is a song that tells of someone's past, it was not needed since Tim Burton actually showed us Ben Barker's past.

Check out The Kras Change at Vanishing Inc Magic! http://www.vanishingincmagic.com/magic-downloads/ebooks/kras-change/
michaelmystic2003
View Profile
Inner circle
2910 Posts

Quote:
On 2007-12-27 22:52, CJRichard wrote:
I agree with Michaelmystic, but the "violence" doesn't occur any more frequently than it does in the stage version. We see it very clearly, though. There is lots of blood running from slit throats. The blood is such a very bright poster-paint red that it actually takes some of the realism out of it.

I just wish the Ballad of Sweeney Todd had not been left out. At the very least it could have been sung over the end credits.

It was a fantastic film, though.

I would say the death scenes are a lot more gory than that. In a few cases (with people the lead character really dislikes), the killings get really graphic, blood spraying every which way and in a few cases even spraying onto the screen.

sparks
View Profile
New user
Charlottesville, Virginia
89 Posts

Profile of sparks
Quote:
On 2007-12-27 22:52, CJRichard wrote:
The blood is such a very bright poster-paint red that it actually takes some of the realism out of it.

I have heard that this was by design (i.e. to intentionally down play the realism... slightly).
Sparks

It's kind of fun to do the impossible - Walt Disney
CJRichard
View Profile
Special user
Massachusetts
542 Posts

Profile of CJRichard
One reviewer in a local paper says: "The pumping, hissing blood is, as Burton hoped, more cathartic than disgusting. It's theatrical blood, Hammer blood. . . ."
"You know some of you are laughin', but there's people here tryin' to learn. . ." -Pop Haydn

"I know of no other art that proclaims itself 'easy to do.'" -Master Payne

Ezekiel the Green
The Drake
View Profile
Inner circle
2274 Posts

Profile of The Drake
Quote:
On 2007-12-29 09:10, CJRichard wrote:
One reviewer in a local paper says: "The pumping, hissing blood is, as Burton hoped, more cathartic than disgusting. It's theatrical blood, Hammer blood. . . ."

No I've got to see it. I miss those old Hammer Films. I cut my teeth on them.

Best,

Tim
The Drake
View Profile
Inner circle
2274 Posts

Profile of The Drake
My review is in and I'm SO sad to say I was very let down. I found nothing amazing about it. I had trouble keeping awake and mostly looked at my watch waiting for a story to find its way in there some place.

Best,

Tim
Rupert Bair
View Profile
Inner circle
?
2113 Posts

Profile of Rupert Bair
I'm taking Tim's word, he says best all the time. He only means the best for us. But I think theres a hidden message for me and he's helping me out.

Tim, I won't go see it now.

Now to convince the female person that Sweeney Todd cures my insomnia, which I don't want.
The Drake
View Profile
Inner circle
2274 Posts

Profile of The Drake
Quote:
On 2007-12-30 19:34, Matt Colman wrote:
I'm taking Tim's word, he says best all the time. He only means the best for us. But I think theres a hidden message for me and he's helping me out.

Now to convince the female person that Sweeney Todd cures my insomnia, which I don't want.

Matt,

Don't worry about this one curing your insomnia. It will dull your senses. The movie is filmed (for cinematic effect) in the same monochrome look that Burton used in The Corpse Bride. If you saw The Corpse Bride you may remember that it had some songs that lifted the spirit where this one is a constant stream on whining depressing slow paced music that doesn't stop. The dull colors mixed with the slow music will lull you to sleep. If they were trying to paint London as a depressing place they did a good job but kept us depressed for the entire movie. There was one song that had some life. It was the one where a young man sings of his love for a girl he has known for all of 30 seconds by seeing her through a window. As ridiculous as that is... it was the maybe best song in the film but got repeated a bit to much.

I love musicals but wanted to holler .." Enough with the singing... do something!" several times in the film. More than an hour had passed and they were still singing how depressed they were. ZZZZZZZZZZZZ

The blood was no big deal. I suspect many a prepubescent teen is bragging to his friends of how bad it is and something not to be missed but even if gore is your thing... its nothing special here. I found the CRACK noise that the bodies made when they hit the cellar floor to be much more horrifying than the bloody part.

I suspect this film will not last too long at the box office. It had a slower than expected opening and when Burton/Depp fans and musical fans (I am both) can't appreciate it then word will spread quickly.

I am curious however to see the earlier adaption of the play. It had to be decent to inspire the fan base that Sweeney Todd has so I'm interested to see what its supposed to be done like.

Best,

Tim
johnnymystic
View Profile
Inner circle
North Adams Ma.
1576 Posts

Profile of johnnymystic
Took my wife to the movies tonight to see Sweeny Todd, the best part was when...

we got in for FREE due to my celebrity status in this area...that and I know the guy that runs the cinema. Smile

I liked the movie, so did my wife but we both agreed it was weak and could've been better.

The meat pies looked tasty.

And for some reason me and my lovely wife were the only ones in the theater who chuckled rather loudly when the bodies hit the floor.

I mean everytime they hit our chuckles got louder and thought it all too funny.

:)

The bodies hitting the floor was probably the best part of the film.
I drink cheap tequila and vomit
<BR>I cannot eat hot wings...acid reflux
<BR>I never inhale Smile
<BR>I can put a field dress on a deer
Rupert Bair
View Profile
Inner circle
?
2113 Posts

Profile of Rupert Bair
I hate both the corpse bride and nightmare before xmas. I also hate how he butchered Batman (he doesn't even read comics!)...but I'm a fan of Burton. His book of poetry is very cool. (The Melancholy Death of Oyster Boy) I am a big Depp fan...but even big stars sell there integrity sometimes because something sounds cool, I mean if some one said to me I want you to be a crazy singing barber who kills people...that sounds ideal!

M:C
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2758 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On 2007-12-30 20:00, Timothy Drake wrote:
Quote:
On 2007-12-30 19:34, Matt Colman wrote:

Matt,

Don't worry about this one curing your insomnia. It will dull your senses. The movie is filmed (for cinematic effect) in the same monochrome look that Burton used in The Corpse Bride. If you saw The Corpse Bride you may remember that it had some songs that lifted the spirit where this one is a constant stream on whining depressing slow paced music that doesn't stop. The dull colors mixed with the slow music will lull you to sleep. If they were trying to paint London as a depressing place they did a good job but kept us depressed for the entire movie. There was one song that had some life. It was the one where a young man sings of his love for a girl he has known for all of 30 seconds by seeing her through a window. As ridiculous as that is... it was the maybe best song in the film but got repeated a bit to much.

OK, you don't like Sondheim. I do. I liked the original "Sweeny," I liked "Into The Woods," I'm sorry to say I didn't get to see "Sundays In The Park With George" or any of the earlier stuff. But I do like Sondheim so I'm expecting to enjoy the movie. (My daughter, a major Depp fan, was enthralled by it although she didn't know how the story was going to end!)
"There's no time to lose," I heard her say.
"Catch your dreams before they slip away."
"Dying all the time, lose your dreams and you could lose your mind.
Ain't life unkind?"
The Drake
View Profile
Inner circle
2274 Posts

Profile of The Drake
Quote:
On 2007-12-31 22:58, mandrake01 wrote:

OK, you don't like Sondheim. I do. I liked the original "Sweeny," I liked "Into The Woods," I'm sorry to say I didn't get to see "Sundays In The Park With George" or any of the earlier stuff. But I do like Sondheim so I'm expecting to enjoy the movie. (My daughter, a major Depp fan, was enthralled by it although she didn't know how the story was going to end!)

Actually... I've been watching some of the original clips from the broadway play on Youtube and enjoying them more than the film. I'm guessing that Sweeney fans who are very familiar with the story may like the film more than I.

Let us know what you think when you see it.

Best,

Tim
Rupert Bair
View Profile
Inner circle
?
2113 Posts

Profile of Rupert Bair
Ok I saw it today, well actually I set my clock wrong and ended in a time loop and walked into the wrong screen. The golden compass sucked!
yeahidomagic
View Profile
Regular user
134 Posts

Profile of yeahidomagic
I saw the movie , is was amazing! Loved it ! 5 stars , 2 thumbs up!
The Drake
View Profile
Inner circle
2274 Posts

Profile of The Drake
Quote:
On 2008-01-01 14:10, yeahidomagic wrote:
I saw the movie , is was amazing! Loved it ! 5 stars , 2 thumbs up!

Yes... but what was amazing?.What about it was the part that you loved??? I'm tired of these great reviews with no meat. I said what I didn't like about it so tell us what you DID like about it. LOL

Best,

Tim
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4572 Posts

Profile of Payne
Quote:
On 2008-01-01 14:33, Timothy Drake wrote:

Yes... but what was amazing?.What about it was the part that you loved??? I'm tired of these great reviews with no meat. I said what I didn't like about it so tell us what you DID like about it. LOL

Best,

Tim

The music, production design and acting. All top notch. The screenwriter, in my humble opinion produced one of the best stage to screen adaptations I'v ever seen. He cut down or out all the scenes that worked well on stage but would only have slowed the movie down.
This is my all time favorite musical so I was very pleased to see what the movie did with the material. Perhaps to enjoy it fully you need to have seen it on stage.
Everyone I know loved thefilm nad was very impressed with how it came out.
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
The Drake
View Profile
Inner circle
2274 Posts

Profile of The Drake
Quote:
On 2008-01-01 15:20, Payne wrote:

The music, production design and acting. All top notch. The screenwriter, in my humble opinion produced one of the best stage to screen adaptations I'v ever seen. He cut down or out all the scenes that worked well on stage but would only have slowed the movie down.
This is my all time favorite musical so I was very pleased to see what the movie did with the material. Perhaps to enjoy it fully you need to have seen it on stage.
Everyone I know loved the film and was very impressed with how it came out.

Thanks Payne,

I agree the sets and production were well done. I'm thinking you're right regards being familiar with the play enhancing the movie. The audience I saw it with all got up after it with this awkward silence. Sort of an.." that's it?" sort of thing but yet others rave about it. This had me most curious. I'm guessing those who rave about it are others like yourself are Sweeney Fans who were pleased with how it was brought to screen from Stage.

So maybe my problem with it was the fact that I knew nothing of Sweeney before this an I'm not a Sweeney Fan. I really wanted to be though. LOL

Best,

Tim
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Sweeney Todd! (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.22 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL