The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Big and the Small » » Sidewalk Shuffle by Martin Lewis (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Antony Gerard
View Profile
Veteran user
Kalamazoo, Michigan
359 Posts

Profile of Antony Gerard
The first magician to work on an ungaffed routine was Martin Lewis. Martin Lewis experimented with it before releasing the gaffed "Sidewalk Shuffle".

In 1974 I, Antony Gerard, started performing an ungaffed version and later included it in my 1976 lecture notes, Magic Behind Bars. My lecture notes are being put on DVD which should be released within the next two months.

Other magicians who have worked on ungaffed "Sidewalk Shuffle" routines are Ed Marlo, Derick Dingle, Johnny Thompson, Jon Racherbaumer, John Luka, Bob King, Louis Falanga, and Dave Neighbors. Harry Anderson also worked with an ungaffed "Sidewalk Shuffle" routine.

Take care and take cards
Antony Gerard
Michigan Magic Day 2009
http://www.MichiganMagicDay2009.com
SolitarySoul
View Profile
New user
Doylestown, PA
60 Posts

Profile of SolitarySoul
Another nice variation on the same theme is "Hold it Buster" from Dan Harlan. For me, it's easier to remember the positioning & it, too, has a strong finish.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On 2009-03-19 02:08, Antony Gerard wrote:
The first magician to work on an ungaffed routine was Martin Lewis. Martin Lewis experimented with it before releasing the gaffed "Sidewalk Shuffle".

In 1974 I, Antony Gerard, started performing an ungaffed version and later included it in my 1976 lecture notes, Magic Behind Bars. My lecture notes are being put on DVD which should be released within the next two months.

Other magicians who have worked on ungaffed "Sidewalk Shuffle" routines are Ed Marlo, Derick Dingle, Johnny Thompson, Jon Racherbaumer, John Luka, Bob King, Louis Falanga, and Dave Neighbors. Harry Anderson also worked with an ungaffed "Sidewalk Shuffle" routine.

Take care and take cards
Antony Gerard
Michigan Magic Day 2009
http://www.MichiganMagicDay2009.com

I believe you left out that Joe Riding from England was the originator of the 3 Card Trick using 4 Cards (ungimmicked cards). I believe this was before Martin Lewis's offering of gimmicked cards.

Martin Lewis 1st sent the Sidewalk Shuffle to the late great magic dealer Ken Brooke to produce and sell. Ken Brooke returned it saying it was not commercial enough. Fred Kaps got a hold of the trick and applied his genius. Sidewalk shuffle became the trick of the time with Fred Kaps routine improvements. several people have created routines for this trick, namely Scotty York and Roy Johnson from England.

Fred Kaps improvement was to eliminate an awkward move in the original manuscript from Martin Lewis.
Stephen Grey
View Profile
New user
Washington DC
25 Posts

Profile of Stephen Grey
I'm looking to replace my original jumbo Sidewalk Shuffle cards (showing some wear after over a decade of light use, but I'm using the routine more and more frequently).

Are the cards in SS Redone the same as in the original, or do I need track down the original?
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5952 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
Quote:
On 2011-07-09 21:43, Stephen Grey wrote:
I'm looking to replace my original jumbo Sidewalk Shuffle cards (showing some wear after over a decade of light use, but I'm using the routine more and more frequently).

Are the cards in SS Redone the same as in the original, or do I need track down the original?

The cards are the same. The only change was to the handling.
Stephen Grey
View Profile
New user
Washington DC
25 Posts

Profile of Stephen Grey
Thanks!
Brent McLeod
View Profile
Inner circle
1792 Posts

Profile of Brent McLeod
Great effect but it is a confusing effect to learn with the swaps & turns that really make no sense
Miss one & the effects ruined

Practice makes perfect but Ill keep perservering for now
but as a Professional after a month Im still struggling-never had that hasppen before.....
But I really like the effect.....
keep you posted
Rainboguy
View Profile
Inner circle
1915 Posts

Profile of Rainboguy
Sidwalk Shuffle is a GREAT trick but I'm not sure I would necessarily use it in a close-up, walk-around venue. When you do close-up, walkaround, you need to be prepared to control as many variables as you can in terms of presentation angles, etc.

I tend to think of removing any trick from this type of venue which I absolutely can't keep control of during these type of venues, and have learned to be prepared with multiple outs, etc.

A Little History.....Joe Riding's three card trick is a terriffic excercise in finesse and showmanship for stand-up using jumbo cards........IF you can find it and IF you are wearing a jacket.....the lapel makes all the diference. When I first saw Harry Anderson do the trick on real early Saturday Night Live Shows, I got the trick and worked on it.........

Inherintly, jumbo card tricks are best for platform, stand-up, and stage presentation.....BUT.....you might be the type of magician who can use jumbos close-up, walkaround, but, boy, it just doesn't't work for me....I use regular-sized cards in my hands and the spectators's hands for close-up, walkaround.

Best close-up walkaround card tricks I have used are:

1. Ambitious Card (A no-brainer, in my opinion)
2. Brother John Hamman's Two-Card Trick
3. Dazzling Backflips
4. Vanishing Deck
5. Brainwave
6. Signed Card to Wallet

I for one, would be DELIGHTED to see what my friend Eugene Burger would say when he was asked what he thinks are THE BEST card effects for walk-around, closeup magic.

Eugene.....are you out there?
mpicard
View Profile
Regular user
102 Posts

Profile of mpicard
I have used the sidewalk shuffle both in close up and walk around, never had an issue, also same routine on stage. I would like to learn the un gimmicked version as I have a basic idea but recall seeing someone do this many years ago as well as Harry Anderson on SNL. I loved his routine for that.
Frank Yuen
View Profile
Elite user
457 Posts

Profile of Frank Yuen
I've performed Sidewalk Shuffle up close before and the only thing that you have to worry about is flashing to seated customers. Even when you thing the cards are angled downward it only takes one small tilt of the hand to flash color on a supposedly blank card. I don't recall seeing it posted above but you used to be able to purchase the cards in regular size as well as jumbo. If I intended to do it close up on a regular basis, I would learn and use Maxwell's Virgina City Shuffle.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Fred Kaps re-worked the Martin Lewis handling in Sidewalk Shuffle, thus doing away with some of the awkward turns when laying down and picking up the cards. It is a great trick and great climax.
Rainboguy
View Profile
Inner circle
1915 Posts

Profile of Rainboguy
Just another quick observation...

If you like "Sidewalk Shuffle", you might REALLY like "Tonte"...Joe Stevens has it.
nonvpro
View Profile
Inner circle
1844 Posts

Profile of nonvpro
Just used this last night in one of my restaurants. As usual, was very well received.
Motor City
View Profile
Special user
Metro Detroit Area
587 Posts

Profile of Motor City
My version, Michigan Monte, uses ungaffed Jumbo cards. The phases are not confusing for the performer. The effect can be ordered from my website. http://www.johnlukamagic.com/

John Luka
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Quote:
On 2011-11-19 13:41, Motor City wrote:
My version, Michigan Monte, uses ungaffed Jumbo cards. The phases are not confusing for the performer. The effect can be ordered from my website. http://www.johnlukamagic.com/

John Luka

I enjoy using John's cards. I switched over to his method after I noticed the lay people were astonished more.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Big and the Small » » Sidewalk Shuffle by Martin Lewis (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL