The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ballooning 101 » » How long should it take? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

harry knight
View Profile
Regular user
199 Posts

Profile of harry knight
Hello everyone, I've recently started Balloon modelling again and was wondering how long I should be looking at, to make each balloon. To make the attached ones, they were about 4-5 minutes each, is that too long?

Here are a few I've made so far.

or if that doesn't work heres the site address:

http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x290/......oon1.jpg

Thanks for your time.

Harry
dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
4435 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
Its a bit different from escapes harry but pretty cool! What books / resources are you using? I would say 4 -5 minutes now is not bad ---- you will get faster BUT its not 100% about being fast - don't forget to talk to your punters.

Dave
harry knight
View Profile
Regular user
199 Posts

Profile of harry knight
Thanks Dave, Its a complete contrast from my escape act Smile

The books I have so far are: Palloncini Da Sogno, Fantastici, Nuove sculture & All wind & twists also I have a pdf Balloon book first edition. Your spot on about talking to the punters. At the moment I'm just getting ready for next years event and have a few tricks up my sleeve to draw some business.

Thanks again

Harry
Skip Way
View Profile
Inner circle
3771 Posts

Profile of Skip Way
Harry, like anything else, you'll get faster with experience. Balloons like those from the Palloncini series are a little more time intensive. Keep the entertainment level high as you're twisting and it won't matter a whole lot how long it takes. If you're looking at making balloons to hand out at a bulk rate - try the simpler and faster one and two balloon creations. It all depends on your target audience.
How you leave others feeling after an Experience with you becomes your Trademark.

Magic Youth Raleigh - RaleighMagicClub.org
dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
4435 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
Quote:
On 2007-09-26 10:25, Skip Way wrote:
Harry, like anything else, you'll get faster with experience.

NOT EVERYTHING! .........

you cant rush ...........

a nice cup of tea! it is so easy to not let it brew ling enoiugh and you just ruin it!

well what were you expecting - I am English! - I know the Queen and we all stop at 4 pm for t ....

............ea you know.
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9495 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
If you can keep it under 4 hours per balloon, You should be able to set a world record for the longest party in exostance. And remember to charge accordingly - You
re a world record holder!
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9495 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
Where is Homer?

Seriously... FLASH makes great animals and if you can find his tapes you'll increase your "stable".
Stevethomas
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern U.S.A.
3725 Posts

Profile of Stevethomas
I know I recognized those designs from the Palloncini book. I have the whole series of the 3 books from them.

Anyway...the amount of time you're willing to use for a particular design will depend upon the situation you're presented with. Line work..if you take 4-5 minutes per design, you'll lose a lot of customers. It will also depend on whether your handing 'em out or selling 'em. Restaurant work, if you have very few tables and have some time to spend, that's a great way to impress the customers, too. Keep in mind, however, that in that situation, the table with the "Roadrunner" and "Coyote" balloons might sit there until the restaurant is full, then EVERYBODY who comes in will that particular one. I like the idea of NOT TAKING REQUESTS for the design everybody wants. If you do that, you'll be making swords and poodles all night long.

If you're working you own booth, selling balloons and you have these on your menu board with the prices clearly listed (something like these would be upwards of $4-$5 in my booth)...you could take your time, but be entertaining as you're twisting. Conversation and verbal entertainment is crucial to keeping the customers happy. I've been at this (both selling 'em and handing 'em out) for a long time, so I know of what I speak.

Steve
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
If you are doing it for a few kids fine but for a bunch of 'em I wouldn't do anything as elaborate as those.
Bad to the Balloon
View Profile
Inner circle
Clearwater Florida
2116 Posts

Profile of Bad to the Balloon
Depend on the time you need to fill. Less people slow down ... more people speed up.

I personally try to keep my figures to 30 seconds to 2 minutes and mine are considered elaborate!

BTW ..... Love the name!! I want to see your avatar as a knight with hair sprouting from every joint and opening, that would be funny.

I was going to make a fur covered golf club once ...... Harry Putter!!
Mark Byrne
AKA Mark the Balloon Guy
As seen on the TODAY SHOW
www.balloonguy.net
Creator of Bad to the Balloon DVD series
Go to my store: http://tinyurl.com/Bad2theBalloon
Skip Way
View Profile
Inner circle
3771 Posts

Profile of Skip Way
NOT EVERYTHING! .........you cant rush ...........a nice cup of tea! it is so easy to not let it brew long enough and you just ruin it!
[/quote]

What?!? How long does it take to toss a couple spoons of powder into a cup'o' microwaved water?!? Smile
How you leave others feeling after an Experience with you becomes your Trademark.

MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
I should point out I suck at balloons.
dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
4435 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
Quote:
On 2007-09-26 23:05, Skip Way wrote:
NOT EVERYTHING! .........you cant rush ...........a nice cup of tea! it is so easy to not let it brew long enough and you just ruin it!

What?!? How long does it take to toss a couple spoons of powder into a cup'o' microwaved water?!? Smile
[/quote]

INFIDEL! Wars have been started over less! What are you some sort of.... well American? (pt pt pt horrible spitting sound as I remove the foul words from my mouth)

I say I do hope one has not over reacted here (but I am sure some of my English chums on this delightful internet site will support ones cause.
Bad to the Balloon
View Profile
Inner circle
Clearwater Florida
2116 Posts

Profile of Bad to the Balloon
For the American that don't understand Tea....

Four well-dressed men sitting together at a vacation resort.

Michael Palin: Ahh.. Very passable, this, very passable.

Graham Chapman: Nothing like a good glass of Chateau de Chassilier wine, ay Gessiah?

Terry Gilliam: You're right there Obediah.

Eric Idle: Who'd a thought thirty years ago we'd all be sittin' here drinking Chateau de Chassilier wine?

MP: Aye. In them days, we'd a' been glad to have the price of a cup o' tea.

GC: A cup ' COLD tea.

EI: Without milk or sugar.

TG: OR tea!

MP: In a filthy, cracked cup.

EI: We never used to have a cup. We used to have to drink out of a rolled up newspaper.

GC: The best WE could manage was to suck on a piece of damp cloth.

TG: But you know, we were happy in those days, though we were poor.

MP: Aye. BECAUSE we were poor. My old Dad used to say to me, "Money doesn't buy you happiness."

EI: 'E was right. I was happier then and I had NOTHIN'. We used to live in this tiiiny old house, with greaaaaat big holes in the roof.

GC: House? You were lucky to have a HOUSE! We used to live in one room, all hundred and twenty-six of us, no furniture. Half the floor was missing; we were all huddled together in one corner for fear of FALLING!

TG: You were lucky to have a ROOM! *We* used to have to live in a corridor!

MP: Ohhhh we used to DREAM of livin' in a corridor! Woulda' been a palace to us. We used to live in an old water tank on a rubbish tip. We got woken up every morning by having a load of rotting fish dumped all over us! House!? Hmph.

EI: Well when I say "house" it was only a hole in the ground covered by a piece of tarpolin, but it was a house to US.

GC: We were evicted from *our* hole in the ground; we had to go and live in a lake!

TG: You were lucky to have a LAKE! There were a hundred and sixty of us living in a small shoebox in the middle of the road.

MP: Cardboard box?

TG: Aye.

MP: You were lucky. We lived for three months in a brown paper bag in a septic tank. We used to have to get up at six o'clock in the morning, clean the bag, eat a crust of stale bread, go to work down mill for fourteen hours a day week in-week out. When we got home, out Dad would thrash us to sleep with his belt!

GC: Luxury. We used to have to get out of the lake at three o'clock in the morning, clean the lake, eat a handful of hot gravel, go to work at the mill every day for tuppence a month, come home, and Dad would beat us around the head and neck with a broken bottle, if we were LUCKY!

TG: Well we had it tough. We used to have to get up out of the shoebox at twelve o'clock at night, and LICK the road clean with our tongues. We had half a handful of freezing cold gravel, worked twenty-four hours a day at the mill for fourpence every six years, and when we got home, our Dad would slice us in two with a bread knife.

EI: Right. I had to get up in the morning at ten o'clock at night, half an hour before I went to bed, (pause for laughter), eat a lump of cold poison, work twenty-nine hours a day down mill, and pay mill owner for permission to come to work, and when we got home, our Dad would kill us, and dance about on our graves singing "Hallelujah."

MP: But you try and tell the young people today that... and they won't believe ya'.

ALL: Nope, nope..
Mark Byrne
AKA Mark the Balloon Guy
As seen on the TODAY SHOW
www.balloonguy.net
Creator of Bad to the Balloon DVD series
Go to my store: http://tinyurl.com/Bad2theBalloon
Skip Way
View Profile
Inner circle
3771 Posts

Profile of Skip Way
Quote:
I say I do hope one has not over reacted here (but I am sure some of my English chums on this delightful internet site will support ones cause.

Huzzah! The memory of Boston Harbor lives on! Um...what was this thread about? Smile

dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
4435 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
Wow we are spoilt to have BOTH of the Americans with a sense of humour on here and at the same time as well!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ballooning 101 » » How long should it take? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL