The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Don't Be A Passing Jerk (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
I want to address this to you young drivers and those that just don't like to be behind another person, you just have to pass them. This morning my wife and I were heading to town to do groceries and go to the drug store etc.. I live way out in the country and we have a two lane (one in each direction) highway that takes us to the local towns. I couldn't get to the grocery store this morning because as I came over a ridge I was stopped by twisted wreckage and dead bodies. I don't know how many are dead, how many kids are orphaned, how many lives ruined, because one person had to pass someone when it wasn't safe. This is the second fatal wreck I've encountered in the last three weeks due to just bad judgement and people not being patient. I can't tell you how many people have passed me, and I drive the speed limit as do most people, to catch up with the guy who thought he was accomplishing things at the flashing red light where the highway crosses. You are NOT adding but a few seconds to your trip by passing people who are not going slow and doing so because you think you can beat the other car coming toward you. Sure, you will do so successfully up until the last time and that last time you and another car will hit at a combined force of at least 130 mph and suddenly stop and you are not only dead but who knows how many of your victims as well.

Think about it and remember that you are behind the wheel of a very large machine that is also very fragile when you hit something at speed. Same goes to you drunk drivers, and I use to do it almost daily, stay off the road and if you do take to the road I hope you are caught before you kill someone, get a taser in the chest, a baton in the ribs, then go to jail and lose your license because you are a scumbag who isn't worthy of being on the streets. Remember, don't be a pass hole.
Josh the Superfluous
View Profile
Inner circle
The man of
1881 Posts

Profile of Josh the Superfluous
Not in the same league, but along those lines:

I was once in a traffic slow down. Some teenagers couldn't be bothered with the wait, and zipped around in front of the slow cars. Apparently the slow cars were yielding to a mother duck and her ducklings crossing the road. The kids continued on their way, leaving behind a few maimed and terrified orphan ducklings.

I know it's not the same, but it was very sad and unnecessary.
What do you want in a site? "Honesty, integrity and decency." -Mike Doogan
"I hate it, I hate my ironic lovechild. I didn't even have anything to do with it" Josh #2
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
That does suck. On ducklings my old boss' daughter stopped Interstate 680 in the middle of San Jose, Ca. to let ducks cross. Oh, this might interest some but last night around the same spot the accident was today I stopped to let a herd of wild horses cross the highway (four lanes at that point) and them about a mile further a very healthy coyote caused me to stop for it to cross.

Drive carefully people, please.
Magic_Steve
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
1476 Posts

Profile of Magic_Steve
I couldn't agree more...especially since I just got my license in August. I hate people that drive like ***s...and pass jerks. Smile

Thanks for sharing Santa...definitely got to me a bit.
evolve629
View Profile
Inner circle
A stack of
3838 Posts

Profile of evolve629
And may I add to put that cell phone down please...
One hundred percent of the shots you don't take don't go in - Wayne Gretzky
My favorite part is putting the gaffs in the spectators hands...it gives you that warm fuzzy feeling inside! - Bob Kohler
Magic_Steve
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
1476 Posts

Profile of Magic_Steve
Quote:
On 2007-09-27 21:40, evolve629 wrote:
And may I add to put that cell phone down please...

Yea...and when I HAVE to talk on the phone, it's on speaker phone in the cup holder. LOL!
GlenD
View Profile
Inner circle
LosAngeles, Ca
1299 Posts

Profile of GlenD
Oh let's not start the whole cell phone thing again! That's another topic entirely that has been covered before. Umm do a search. LOL

Point well taken about being the fastest and biggest daredevil on the road... works until it does'nt then you have horrible tragedy. Very sad.

GlenD
"A miracle is something that seems impossible but happens anyway" - Griffin

"Any future where you succeed, is one where you tell the truth." - Griffin (Griffin rocks!)
Margarette
View Profile
Special user
Memphis area
956 Posts

Profile of Margarette
What I hate is during rush hour (more like "sitting still for two hours") traffic in Memphis is when people take it upon themselves to create another lane by driving down the median at full speed while everyone else is crawling along at 20mph.

I have had defensive driving drilled into me since I was 17. My father was NTSB certified to teach defensive driving...I did the proofread on his instruction manual. I've been in one accident...victim of a hit and run. I'll admit that on the interstate I used to be a little heavy on the accelerator....until I had a couple of close calls...I don't speed anymore.

My older son has his permit and will be eligible for his license in November. I insisted that he enroll in the Driver's Ed class in school. I've already told him that if he gets a ticket or is in an accident that is his fault when he gets his license, he will be responsible for the increase in the insurance premium (interpreted to be you will get a job to help pay for car insurance).
The only stupid question is the one not asked.
Bill Nuvo
View Profile
Inner circle
3094 Posts or
2747 Posts

Profile of Bill Nuvo
What I hate is the people that go right up to your vehicle when you are passing somebody else (divided highway), and ride your bumper like you are not passing fast enough.

I've been known to slow down and keep them there for five minutes, even though I know that is not the best thing to do. What irritates me more is those that speed with passengers, especially children, in the vehicle.
Bill Nuvo
View Profile
Inner circle
3094 Posts or
2747 Posts

Profile of Bill Nuvo
Another thing I do, is have a mounted video camera(digital) that I record license plates and the actions of the offenders and send the footage to authorities.
Josh Riel
View Profile
Inner circle
of hell
1999 Posts

Profile of Josh Riel
I'm going to have to say that the duck probably had it coming.

I personally don't care if someone wants to kill themselves, but it's the other car that matters. I think more fatalities on the road would be a good thing if the stupid drivers were the ones to go. Unfortunately it seems to me that the idiot driver is almost certain to live. Cruel fate, why do you mock us?

What really twists my giblets is when someone must pass you, then gets in front of you then the SOB decides to slow down. I want to poison their drinking water.
I believe the majority of the people on the road shouldn't be allowed. I don't mean allowed on the road... Just allowed. I used to think it was teenagers, women, and the elderly. But noooo, the middle aged guys are not going to be left out, they drive like they are in the middle of a self administered castration as well.
Magic is doing improbable things with odd items that, under normal circumstances, would be unnessecary and quite often undesirable.
Josh Riel
View Profile
Inner circle
of hell
1999 Posts

Profile of Josh Riel
Quote:
On 2007-09-28 12:02, mrbilldentertainer wrote:
Another thing I do, is have a mounted video camera(digital) that I record license plates and the actions of the offenders and send the footage to authorities.

I do the same thing. Only with me it's make believe, and it's not a camera, it's a missile launcher.
Magic is doing improbable things with odd items that, under normal circumstances, would be unnessecary and quite often undesirable.
Bill Nuvo
View Profile
Inner circle
3094 Posts or
2747 Posts

Profile of Bill Nuvo
I've always wanted to attach some type of scrolling word sign which I could send a message to people riding my bumper.

I am liking the missile idea though!
SeaDawg
View Profile
Special user
The Lunatic Fringe
718 Posts

Profile of SeaDawg
Bill, I think we need a few good public floggings and a keel hauling or two....That'll learn a few of them...
Crazy people take the psycho-path thru the forest...
Bill Nuvo
View Profile
Inner circle
3094 Posts or
2747 Posts

Profile of Bill Nuvo
Maybe at the next Scallop Days festival. I'll suggest it to Dean. It'll be a real attraction.
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
I was on our highway several months ago and the driver in front of me decided she was going to pass the cars ahead who were slowing down for some mysterious reason. She guns her full size Bronco (nothing wrong with them but when they hit'ya, they hit ya) and goes into her pass mode. The reason the traffic was slowing down was a propane delivery truck was making a left turn....across the lane this gal was passing in. She missed the truck by about two feet at 60 miles an hour. That scared me. As for yesterdays wreck they got lucky that only one person was in each vehicle. The passer, who passed, hit a pick up trick as it tried to get to the narrow shoulder to avoid her, she then bounced off and hit a semi tanker head on.
RS1963
View Profile
Inner circle
2720 Posts

Profile of RS1963
I agree people who do such things do not have much in the way of brains. I see motercycle drivers do such things quite often as well. Or the cyclist will drive between two rows of slow moving cars to get past. I guess they don't have to follow the rules of the road? that's a rhetorical question by the way.
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
As for the motorcyle issue what you are talking about is called white lining or lane splitting. It is legal in many states and situations. In California where I lived it was legal if traffic was moving at 35 mph or less, in Reno during bike week, called Street Vibrations, I saw a sign that clearly stated for visiting bikers that lane splitting wasn't legal. Since I quit riding after being run over several years ago I'm not sure if that is just in Reno or the whole state. I will tell you this, it will wake you up when a motorcycle club is white lining at 100 miles an hour on a busy highway.

I should warn you that some of my former compatriots, and still friends, carry large nuts or ball bearings with them should anyone try to hit them they can gently toss 'em through windshields.
MagiClyde
View Profile
Special user
Columbus, Ohio
871 Posts

Profile of MagiClyde
Two incidents I remember vividly:

1. On I80, I was in the middle lane. There was only one car behind me and we were coming up on an exit. This idiot decides to pass me on the left, then pulls in front of me then gets into the right-hand lane just to get to the exit! He was driving with his left hand, holding a cell phone up to his LEFT ear!

2. A car with a "Student Driver" sticker on the back, obviously to a driving school. The person behind the wheel is driving with his left arm draped over the steering wheel, not holding it with his hands. On top of that, he was chatting away on a cell phone and looked like he was in a very relaxed position while driving! I just hope he isn't one of their instructers.

Personally, I am beginning to think that many people should be forced to go through refresher driving courses about every 5 years or so or when their driver's license comes up for renewal.
Magic! The quicker picker-upper!
RS1963
View Profile
Inner circle
2720 Posts

Profile of RS1963
Interesting Magicsanta. I too live in Nevada. But in the Southern part. I could be wrong I do think that White lining is not legal in all of the State. As I said I am not sure. But from what I have always been told by others is that it is not to be done.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Don't Be A Passing Jerk (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL