The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Where do you buy your cards, and how much? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

patrick flanagan
View Profile
Inner circle
lisle, illinois
1045 Posts

Profile of patrick flanagan
Cards are probably my most costly item that I use. I use a new deck every time I work, so that is 3-6 decks a week. Currently, I buy them at Menards or Walmart for around $2.00/deck. I could go to Sam's Club and get them for around $1.15/deck, but, and I know this is gonna sound weird, but, I only use blue back cards. I just don't like using red cards. All my gaffs are blue back bikes. I know the whole red is a warming color arguement, but I just don't like using red cards.
So, my question is,...is there anyone out there that only uses red back cards in a large quantity. I could go to Sam's Club and but a gross and split them red for you....blue for me.
Patrick
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
You have two, count'em, two real options kind sir.

Option one: Knowing that red back cards are more popular than blue back get hold of some card heads, Chicago has loads of 'em, and purchase cards from Sams Club and you take the blue and they get the red. There are a number of reasons reds are more popular so this is a good option for you.

Option Two: This is the tick off some method but many do it and since you are aiming for the blue backs other magicians may not get mad if caught in your evil web if you use this option. Here it is. You go in and stand by the big stack of cards, open boxes, and re pack them with all blue in a couple boxes and all red in others then you purchase the blue backs. Most card buyers won't notice they are all red and magicians, being red again are more popular, will be happy to get all red if they buy a box.

The last thing is to contact one of the places that sell in bulk and ask for red backs.
patrick flanagan
View Profile
Inner circle
lisle, illinois
1045 Posts

Santa,
Yep....i have done that before at the bin...repacking the master boxes. I kinda felt weird doing that...lol.
Yeah I realize the popularity reasons for red backs (being able to sign the back of the card, etc.), but I just like blue backs. Maybe I had a traumatic experience with a red back deck when I was an infant....I don't know how to explain it..lol. I can and have performed with red backs so it isn't a phobia, but I just prefer blue. Is there a hotline available for this type of problem? Do you think I could get some government assistance for this disorder?
As for option one, that why I made this post to see if anyone else is interested.
The big card suppliers will separate the colors for a significant increase in price.
patrick
Christopher Lyle
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, Texas
5698 Posts

Profile of Christopher Lyle
Santa just described my whole card buying action. I usually buy about 200 decks at a time from Wmart...if you go for the double box Red/Blue (or Red/Red after I'm done with em') they're $1.50 a box for TWO!!!!
In Mystery,

Christopher Lyle
Magician, Comic, Daredevil, and Balloon Twisting Genius
For a Good Time...CLICK HERE!
fishwasher
View Profile
Inner circle
B'ham uk
1231 Posts

Profile of fishwasher
I buy cards from costco about £10 for 12 decks
Sayn lay narn, marli?

http://www.bizarremagic.net
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Steal them and sell the red decks. You are WAY ahead my way. God am I shocked nobody knew that.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Last time I bought cards I went to a drug store and they had the old style bikes and you would get a red back and blue back of them and also a deck of the regular modern bike backs, red or black, so three cards in a pack. The price was $2.49! I bought 'em all. I did find out that moving from the perfect humidity of the bay area to the very dry desert cards don't handle as well if not in an area where the humidity is kept higher.
Hart Keene
View Profile
Inner circle
Eugene, OR
1486 Posts

Profile of Hart Keene
I do the same thing at Costco. Just open the box and switch out the blue for red!
-Hart

Check out my website:
Magician Portland Oregon
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
There you go, Hart is a red guy, Patrick blue....I say you kids get together and swap out cards and stop messing with the dang boxes!
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Yea the box thing is really mean and weird. I say steal them that way nobody is affected!
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Magic_Steve
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
1476 Posts

Profile of Magic_Steve
Quote:
On 2007-09-28 17:19, Dannydoyle wrote:
Yea the box thing is really mean and weird. I say steal them that way nobody is affected!

'Bout time someone around here has some common sense!
MAKMagic
View Profile
Special user
I got banned for one of my
555 Posts

Profile of MAKMagic
I steal them from Steve's mom
.:Michael Kelley
On the Level, By the Square
patrick flanagan
View Profile
Inner circle
lisle, illinois
1045 Posts

What do you think, Hart? Are you in the mood? OKay that sounded weirder than switching colored decks in the middle of a department store....yikes.
nucinud
View Profile
Inner circle
New York, New York
1298 Posts

Profile of nucinud
I get them at COSTCO or BJ's. My son takes the reds, I take the Blues. $13-$14 for a 12 pack. I used to buy them at Toys R Us, $2 a pack. I am talking about Bikes.
"We are what we pretend to be" Kurt Vonnegut, jr.

Now U C It Now U Don't

Harry Mandel

www.mandelmagic.com
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Just to clarify he is talking about BJ's wholesale shop.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Magic_Steve
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
1476 Posts

Profile of Magic_Steve
Quote:
On 2007-09-28 19:11, MAKMagic wrote:
I steal them from Steve's mom

Hmmmmmmmm....that's why she's always so ****ed. LOL!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Where do you buy your cards, and how much? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL