The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » MAGIC - The Magazine For Magicians » » The author of the New Alexander book?????? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Vaclav
View Profile
New user
Now Seattle. Before? Who knows.
68 Posts

Profile of Vaclav
It is already September, but I have just opened the Magic magazine from June of this year. And on the page 64 I have found article about Claude Alexander Colin aka. Alexander The man Who Knows by David Charvet. And after reading the article I decided to write this post.
In 2000 my good friend and mentor John D. Pomeroy was trying to finish his book about Alexander he was working on for last 15 years. At that time he was fighting his battle with cancer and was dictating the last parts of the book to his wife Mitsy who was typing it on their computer. Knowing he would not be able to do the final editing (he died few months later) he contacted Steven Minch, but since Steve was very busy with his many project he mentioned David Charvet may be good then one to do the edits and prepare the book for publishing. So John contacted him and David did came over and John gave him the manuscript with many of photographs and all the research he had. It was a couple of boxes worth.
I do believe the original title of the book supposed to be “The life and legend of Alexander Colin” . And originally John planed on two volumes and footnotes.
Although I do not know the details of the agreement between John Pomeroy and David Charvet, I was very surprised when the book came out in one small volume since there was huge amount of information, (later I was told that Mr Charvet wanted to use only hard facts and not the “legends” like money being stashed in the walls, for the book) and also that the authors name on the cover was “ David Charvet and John Pomeroy”. I have thought, that it supposed to be John Pomeroys book.
But as I said I do not know the agreement between them and do not really want to ask his wife since it is very painful subject. (Also I do believe she have received only couple of copies of the book.) And also I don’t believe she ever got any of the materials back.
So while reading Mr. Charvet article I could not believe my eyes when he wrote
(Quote: “ MY biography of Claude Alexander Conlin was released in 2004 by Mike Caveney Magic Words. In the introduction I wrote, “ I wish that I could say this is the definite biography of Alexander. It is not. But it is probably the closest we will get at this late date.
Boy I was wrong. Following the publication of that book, a mountain of new material appeared as if by magic.” End Quote.)
“MY BIOGRAPHY ?” I thought it was John Pomeroys book. In the original book and also article in 2002 he at least gave John credit, but now he is the only writer? And as for additional material appearing as by magic, what have happened all the material he got from John Pomeroy? I do recognize some of the photographs and the stories in this July article from John’s manuscript.
Although I do believe that Mr. Charvet did research, but I also do believe he is using John Pomeroys research and work with out giving him any credit.
And dead people do not usually rise up to give an argument right?
I would like to apologize for this post, but I just could not sit and watch this happening.
John was my mentor and great friend and I just could not sit and watch this happening to his work. Also I would like to ask if anyone has any questions about this matter, I will be more then happy to answer, but please do not contact John’s wife, since she went thru a lot over this already I it is not my intension to cost her any more grief over this.

Vaclav
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4571 Posts

Profile of Payne
Well now that that story is out of the bag why don't you tell them about what that well known magic maker did to Pomeroy's widow as well. Mitsy was royally screwed by many of John's supposed freinds after his death.
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
Vaclav
View Profile
New user
68 Posts

Profile of Vaclav
Hi Payne.
I think that would be a story on it's own. However I do not know much about Johns exact agreement in that case so I can not make any argument about it. Also I do not know if Mitsy is receiving any royalties from any of his stuff, but as in the case of the book it is very touchy subject,so I try not to even mention it to her when we talk. She just wants to forget about all this and move on.
It's just sad, that all this going on , but I do not think I can do much about itwith out asking her. Just in the case of his book it was only too much over the top, to just let it go like that.
JRob
View Profile
Veteran user
Central South Carolina
395 Posts

Profile of JRob
I was considering buying the book, but I think I will hold off until this is resolved, or at least I find out if there was at least some acknowledgement of Pomeroy's contribution. Otherwise buying it would be tantamount to endorsing plagiarism. IMHO
"Jim Roberts, AKA: Professor Jay Rob "<br>
The Professor's Facebook Page
Vaclav
View Profile
New user
68 Posts

Profile of Vaclav
Quote: "....if there was a least some acknowlegement of Pomeroy contribution."
Thank you JRob.
I would only hope so. But as I can see so far he only talks about "My research, me contacting the people or them contacting me, me, me, me and only me." How sad and what a shame this happened. John was so close to finish the book himself....
And he honestly thought, that the book sales and his line of products would get his wife some extra money. At least Brian Cook and Chance Wolf were able to help her to sell some of his magic and helped her that way. And not taking advantage as some others.
bcookmagic
View Profile
Elite user
seattle wa
472 Posts

Profile of bcookmagic
Hey there Vaclav, Very sad indeed and I think Mitsey said she got 6 books only from the transaction(no royalties from the sale?????). I am happy that I have been able to help her with the help of Chance wolf. What has been done in the past to her and John is terrible. Brian
If your not having fun doing what your doing....dont do it!
WWW.BRIANCOOKMAGIC.COM
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » MAGIC - The Magazine For Magicians » » The author of the New Alexander book?????? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL