The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Don't let this happen to you! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

CharlieC
View Profile
Elite user
488 Posts

Profile of CharlieC
Well, I've heard about it before, but did I take any precautions? Nope. My car got broken into and someone stole my magic case. I work 3 days in a row so on those days I usually just leave my case in the car. Do not leave your stuff in your car! I didn't have insurance either.

The notable items I lost were my Destination Box, Predator Wallet, Whit Hayden Golden Shells, and Lassen Morgan gaffs and coins. So if anyone is selling these items, shoot me a PM.

Again, don't leave your stuff in your car! I don't know if it was my case that they saw, but they also took my sunglasses and radio.
"Whenever he gets in a fix he reaches into his bag of tricks.
Felix the cat, the wonderful, wonderful cat..."
professorwhut
View Profile
Inner circle
Posts R US sold me
1353 Posts

Profile of professorwhut
Charlie,

I am sorry to hear of your loss.
I will keep your advice in mind.

Good Luck in replacing your items.
After much soul searching about a signature, I decided not to have one.

TG Pop [aka ProfessorWhut]
mrunge
View Profile
Inner circle
Charleston, SC
3716 Posts

Profile of mrunge
Yep...sorry to hear about your loss.

Would it have made any difference if the case were in the trunk or did they get in there as well? That might be a better place to store things instead of the back seat.

Mark.
Christopher Lyle
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, Texas
5698 Posts

Profile of Christopher Lyle
That sucks! Why didn't you have Car Insurance? In Texas, it's illegal if you DO NOT have insurance. Maybe that's just out here. I had my card broken into earlier this year and all they go was a duffle bag full of balloons. No big loss...
In Mystery,

Christopher Lyle
Magician, Comic, Daredevil, and Balloon Twisting Genius
For a Good Time...CLICK HERE!
Catman
View Profile
New user
71 Posts

Profile of Catman
I had my car broken into in my driveway several years ago. All that was taken was my radar detector - a smash and grab job.

The local news said that the new "thing" is stealing portable GPS systems and that they should not be left in view. I guess there is a ready market for them. Obviously, thieves usually select cars that have something visible that they can fence.

The trunk sounds like the way to go. Getting rid of the probable reason for breaking in is just smart. They were probably disappointed finding magic items in the case when they opened it... They likely don't realize the value of the Lassen Morgan gaffs, etc.

Sorry to hear about your loss.
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Coincidentally, last night on the Channel 4 news they did a story on all of the car break-ins in Los Angeles - the San Fernando Valley in particular. The police were saying that if you have to leave anything in your car when it's parked on the street, lock it in the trunk. The things they showed in plain sight - purses, keys, electronics, briefcases, and so on - were mind-boggling.

Sorry to hear about your loss. I hope that you can replace everything.

I once did a show at a country club. I put my bag in a locker during the show and found that someone had broken into it afterward. I lost some expensive coin gaffs; as Catman mentioned: no use to the thief who has no idea what they're worth.
Skip Way
View Profile
Inner circle
3771 Posts

Profile of Skip Way
Christopher,

Most standard auto policies will not replace professional tools and equipment stolen from a private car. My insurer requires me to pay extra for business-use of my private vehicle to cover these items and accidents while using the car for business.

Stolen materials - Another good reason to look into Maritime insurance.
How you leave others feeling after an Experience with you becomes your Trademark.

Magic Youth Raleigh - RaleighMagicClub.org
CharlieC
View Profile
Elite user
488 Posts

Profile of CharlieC
Just to clarify, I do have auto insurance, but it does not cover the stuff that got stolen.
nums
View Profile
Veteran user
I have a life, or I would have more than
366 Posts

Profile of nums
My homeowners policy covere items in the car not connected to the car, IE car radio...auto insurance, ipod or boom box (how 80's) homeowners.

NUMS
Christopher Lyle
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, Texas
5698 Posts

Profile of Christopher Lyle
Skip,

Hmmmm....when my car was broken into, I was told that my losses were covered. Sadly, the loss didn't meet my $250.00 deductable. Gotta love All State!
In Mystery,

Christopher Lyle
Magician, Comic, Daredevil, and Balloon Twisting Genius
For a Good Time...CLICK HERE!
ldl1017
View Profile
Elite user
476 Posts

Profile of ldl1017
Charliec,
I feel for you. Two years ago my car was broken into and I also lost my closeup case. Amongst the items stolen, was my Benson Bowl that my father had purchased for me as a gift when I was younger. To me it was irreplaceable. Out of all my props, that is the one that I don't ever stop thinking about. I have since replaced it, but it just doesn't have the same feel. I don't do the trick as often now.
Lou
“I am, as I've said, merely competent. But in an age of incompetence, that makes me extraordinary.”
Billy Joel
bronx
View Profile
New user
68 Posts

Profile of bronx
Charlie C,

I'm so sorry. Beyond the monetary loss, I understand the sentimental value of some of your pieces, and the sense of violation. (Grew up in the Bronx, had my share ...) Don't have a predator, but I may be selling off a Stealth Assassin that I haven't been using lately. Shoot me a pm and let me know what else you might be looking for, as I do tend to accumulate stuff.

Take care,

b
Joey Stalin
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1072 Posts

Profile of Joey Stalin
I bet who ever broke in a took it decided to take the case cause it looked like it may have had something worth money in it. But when they opened it they were probably thinging what the hell is all this? And tossed it or something...
-A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic.
-It is easier to fight for one's principles than to live up to them.
-The secret impresses no one. The trick you use it for is everything.

See you space cowboy...
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Sorry about that Charlie. But don't worry, you are not the only one. A few years ago I had my briefcase in my car at a CVS store. When I came back, it was gone. Last year at my house someone stole my van. A lot was taken from it. My van was found at a vacant house in Detroit. Mostly everything was gone from it. I bet it was kids who took away my close-up tricks after the adults stole my dvd players, fogger, disco lights, bar, spinners, 20" rims, and a lot more.

I bought more stuff and is back on the road again.

Get an alarm for for your vehicle. It will scare the crooks away and alert you or someone else.

Here is picture of what my van use to look like below:

Click here to view attached image.
CharlieC
View Profile
Elite user
488 Posts

Profile of CharlieC
Just wanted to drop an update...

Jon Allen (creator of the destination box) is a *** good guy. He's going to help replace my Destination Box at cost, which is really a relief to me. It's one of the few items in my case that I used 3 nights a week.

Whoever stole my case probably smashed it to pieces only to discover a couple of empty trinkets inside. That kills me.

Thanks again Jon.

-Charlie
Mike Melito
View Profile
Loyal user
263 Posts

Profile of Mike Melito
I appreciate your wanting to warn us. I'm sorry about your loss. I've always been of the mindset to only leave the stuff I don't care about. Decks of cards etc. Things I do care about are always brought inside.
derrick
View Profile
Inner circle
I dug holes for
1044 Posts

Profile of derrick
I hate to hear about your loss. I am guilty of leaving my stuff in the car way too often. If my car were broken into right now I would lose my entire stage show and sound system. I just didn't feel like unloading it late last night when a got home particularly when I know I have another show at noon on Saturday.
CharlieC
View Profile
Elite user
488 Posts

Profile of CharlieC
Quote:
On 2007-10-12 14:20, derrick wrote:
I hate to hear about your loss. I am guilty of leaving my stuff in the car way too often. If my car were broken into right now I would lose my entire stage show and sound system. I just didn't feel like unloading it late last night when a got home particularly when I know I have another show at noon on Saturday.

I had the exact same mentality (I'm going to use this again tomorrow, why bother) but my stuff was much easier to unload. I learned the hard way, hopefully your stuff is out of sight at the very least.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I don't have enough stuff to keep in a case LOL.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Don't let this happen to you! (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL