The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Dis-illusion ? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
Josh Riel
View Profile
Inner circle
of hell
1999 Posts

Profile of Josh Riel
Right! And I can say: "The babies smile is magic" in more than five words also. However, regardless of the number or syllables of the words I use, it is the same thing.

O.K., even though we want to believe we matter when we "magic" something, we don't. We don't matter. We do not matter on a philosophical, religious, or scientific level. We pretend to do "A" when we in fact do "B". We are liars, we are irrelevant. We are as irrelevant as the guy who can speak Klingon, we are as irrelevant as the guy who can eat more hot dogs than anyone else, we are as irrelevant as the woman who can sing "Habanera" (The Aria from Carmen). Sure we may be interesting, we may be entertaining we may be whatever we think we are, except relevant. And the perfect example of our irrelevance is the excuses we have for our trite little thing. We change nothing that is real with our magic. And some will really want to believe it regardless.

This is just a discussion of why we are really great when we make a quarter disappear? Yeah, I guess that's what I might miss (If I thought a guy making a quarter disappear was really great) if I didn't know that I just kept it hidden. Can anybody make that sound deep?

So..... Do you miss not knowing how something is done? No. Do you want to miss it? Hell no!

word.
Magic is doing improbable things with odd items that, under normal circumstances, would be unnessecary and quite often undesirable.
Josh Riel
View Profile
Inner circle
of hell
1999 Posts

Profile of Josh Riel
Josh #2 It has never been nice knowing me.
Magic is doing improbable things with odd items that, under normal circumstances, would be unnessecary and quite often undesirable.
Josh Riel
View Profile
Inner circle
of hell
1999 Posts

Profile of Josh Riel
It's hard to make a point when I type slow......
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27226 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
JoshR, I am positing that when we are engrossed in the story of "what happens to the quarter" we are not aware of the methods used to make the story happen using a borrowed and marked quarter. IMHO it's when the performer fails to engage their audience or does something so awkward as to break the spell of the performance that we get jarred into thinking about "what else" they are doing - ie the "methods"

IMHO
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Josh the Superfluous
View Profile
Inner circle
The man of
1881 Posts

Profile of Josh the Superfluous
Quote:
On 2007-09-30 22:30, Jonathan Townsend wrote:
Would you go for "mysterious" or "spooky" instead of "magical" as your word there?

Well I guess it's more "bizarre" for me (I know why it happens so it's not mysterious. It doesn't send chills up my spine like something spooky would). Compared to your example, it would be almost magical.

BTW are you designing the next generation of "the Clapper"?
What do you want in a site? "Honesty, integrity and decency." -Mike Doogan
"I hate it, I hate my ironic lovechild. I didn't even have anything to do with it" Josh #2
Josh Riel
View Profile
Inner circle
of hell
1999 Posts

Profile of Josh Riel
Can a magician (Assuming that the magician in question knows the concept of the method) really be relieved of the knowledge of what he himself does?

There is the "willing suspension of disbelief", but is there a need for the "willing introduction of ignorance"?
enginemagic
View Profile
Special user
Bluffton Indiana
603 Posts

Profile of enginemagic
I notice when you do something amazing that others don't understand or know how it works they look at as magical.especially when you make it look effortless.
theres a lot to learn out there,many interesting subjects,and hobbies to enjoy
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3067 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
For some reason this entire discussion makes me think of Monty Python's "Confuse a Cat" sketch.

Jeff
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Dis-illusion ? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.08 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL