The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magical equations » » The $2.75 cent math prediction trick (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
serge storms
View Profile
Veteran user
Las Vegas
380 Posts

Profile of serge storms
Anyone familiar with or do the $2.75 prediction effect done with change in the pocket? Though done with coins, it is a math trick which is why I'm putting it here.
I stumbled onto it by accident some time ago and have made it a point to always carry the change in my pocket for the occassional impromptu times the chance comes up to do it.
The reaction I get from it is usually quite good for such a non-sleight, non-flashy type of trick.
If you're not sure (because I don't really know the name of the trick)what I'm talking about:
Magician makes 3 predictions on a piece of paper-
1-I will have as much change as you
2-PLUS, I will have 25 cents more...AND
3-what I have left over, added to yours, will total $2.75!
So it's a 3 part prediction; part one and two are not too exciting; but the 3rd part about the total amount of money always amazes them.
So, just posting this to find out from those familiar with it, if you use it, like it, reactions you get etc.
Again, not a mind blower, but one of those "do anywhere, anytime" time of things with just the change in your pocket-I love that kind of stuff. Nothing looks more impromptu.
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18028 Posts

Profile of Slim King
I'VE DONE IT ON THE RADIO. You can have a lot of fun with this Smile
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
Scott Cram
View Profile
Inner circle
2678 Posts

Profile of Scott Cram
There are many great presentations for this great effect! Barrie Richardson has a great version in Theater of the mind! Stewart James has the best version of it, and makes it seem completely impossible.

If you can get back issues of MAGIC, Bob Farmer wrote up several columns dedicated to "Debit and Credit" (the generic name for this type of routine).
Bob Farmer
View Profile
Elite user
Magic Forest
428 Posts

Profile of Bob Farmer
I will be publishing The Bammo Flim Flam Conglomeration in a few months. It will contain all of the MAGIC Magazine Flim Flam columns, plus the Genii columns plus new stuff -- of course, Debit and Credit will in there.
rowdymagi5
View Profile
Inner circle
Virginia
3624 Posts

Profile of rowdymagi5
Looking forward it! Lots of great info in those columns!
roi_tau
View Profile
Veteran user
Israel
335 Posts

Profile of roi_tau
Hi Scot.

Since this is a great trick and I don't know the modus operendi yet I would like to ask:

I do have ALL of Mr james books.

could you refer me to the exact book/page?

Thanks.

Roi - Israel

"I was not accepted to the Geller show"
Scott Cram
View Profile
Inner circle
2678 Posts

Profile of Scott Cram
It's called "Dollars and (Sixth) Sense". It's on page 972 of "Stewart James In Print". As usual, Stewart James takes this trick to the next level. There truly is no explanation for his version!
roi_tau
View Profile
Veteran user
Israel
335 Posts

Profile of roi_tau
WOW!!

He did take it to a new level!!

I have only one question,Scot:

Since this trick is on page 972,how did you get to it?

Did you read ALL the book till that page?

And what do you say on this books? which chapters did you love the most?

Roi
Scott Cram
View Profile
Inner circle
2678 Posts

Profile of Scott Cram
In that particular case, it was reading Bob Farmer's Flim Flam column on Debit and Credit, and he mentioned it was in there.

My favorite chapter of all of the Stewart James books is Miraschool. It's different people's take on Miraskill, which is a favorite trick of mine.
roi_tau
View Profile
Veteran user
Israel
335 Posts

Profile of roi_tau
Yes.

This is one of his greatest!!

Steve Beam devoted one chapter for him and his work in his Semi automatic vol 4.

One of the best version to me,of the miraskill is Mr Allan Slaight's Magnetic Miraskill.

What do you think?
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18028 Posts

Profile of Slim King
I know of a book store that has two of the James Files books for sale. I think they want about $50 for the set. Is that a good deal? I'm heading to that town tonight..... Smile
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
Scott Cram
View Profile
Inner circle
2678 Posts

Profile of Scott Cram
Yes, Slim, $50 would be a very good deal. You may want to check as to what they're describing as the set. A truly full set would be "Stewart James In Print", both volumes of "The James File" (page numbered to continue from "SJ In Print") and the Index to all three books. Of course, even just the two James File books for $50 would still be a good deal.

BTW, quick warning: Ever see how thick the reprint of "Greater Magic" was? Except for the Index, the Stewart James books aren't that thin or that light!

Quote:
On 2007-10-18 16:40, roi_tau wrote:
Yes.

This is one of his greatest!!

Steve Beam devoted one chapter for him and his work in his Semi automatic vol 4.

One of the best version to me,of the miraskill is Mr Allan Slaight's Magnetic Miraskill.

What do you think?

I love the "Miraskill Finesses" advice. as well as the "No Steal Miraskill", in which you can have a different prediction each time, without adding or removing cards (I've actually had the "Fundamentalism" set made up).

One thing made me mad in that section! On my own, I'd discovered that the Miraskill discard pile had the same qualities as a small pack that had been given a red/black Gilbreath shuffle. I figured I was the only one who knew this! I was bummed when I saw Robert Neale's "Oddskill", which uses that very idea. Of course, when "Aunt Mary's Terrible Secret" was later released, I'd gotten over my ego crushing.

One idea I still use if there's enough cards in the Miraskill discard pile, is to do "Chromagnon" from "Thabbatical" by Phil Goldstein. This trick is very hard to backtrack when they realize THEY'VE done all the mixing up to that point. Also, I've found if you use the "memorization" idea from "Miraskill Finesses", then Chromagnon really plays well!
Andy Moss
View Profile
Special user
713 Posts

Profile of Andy Moss
A while back I printed off a trick offered free on the Trickshop.com web site.It was called 'The trick that fooled Einstein!' by the great Al Koran. It is a presentation of 'old wine' an old palour trick going back many many decades.It can be done with cards or coins. The set of questions goes something like this.

1)"I will be able to lay the same number of coins as you,"
2)" I will then lay down six more than you,"
3) "This will leave me with exactly enough to make your total up to 15".

For those reading the link who are not already familiar with the effect this might offer a basic introduction.

Scott, I am interested in what you say about Stewart James' 'Dollars and (Sixth) sense'. Without giving it away too much to those you don't know the workings of the trick just how does he present and inprove on the effect?. With best wishes to you all Andy.
Jeff
View Profile
Inner circle
Orlando, FL
1238 Posts

Profile of Jeff
Check out the routine "Correct Change" by Jon Racherbaumer in his book "At the Table" page 60.
Jon's addition is to take away the coins as objects and add back their value. this helps remove the math mystic. So in Andy'd example above the three question reference the number of coins. Jon's method reference the value amount.

Check it out.

BTW, this book is so highly underrated it isn't funny. It is full of great magic and ideas from the pages of MUM. Pick it up.

Jeff Pierce
Available for order now:
http://www.thecardwarptour.com

See new, used, and collectable magic and books for sale at:
http://www.jeffpiercemagic.com
Scott Cram
View Profile
Inner circle
2678 Posts

Profile of Scott Cram
Quote:
On 2007-11-03 08:45, Andy Moss wrote:
Scott, I am interested in what you say about Stewart James' 'Dollars and (Sixth) sense'. Without giving it away too much to those you don't know the workings of the trick just how does he present and inprove on the effect?. With best wishes to you all Andy.

I'm sorry for the delay in responding.

Here's Bob Farmer's description for the "Dollars and (Sixth) Sense" routine:

Effect: Several coins and three bills, a one, a five and a ten are tabled. Four spectators, A, B, C and D, are watching.

You turn your back. Three spectators, A, B and C, divide the three bills among themselves, pocketing them.

You turn around and give one coin to A, two to B and three to C. Several coins are still left on the table.

Your turn your back and give the following instructions:

The person with the dollar is to take some more coins, as many coins as you gave him he's doubling his coinage).

The person on holding the five is to take twice as many coins as you gave him.

The person holding the ten is to take four times as many coins as you gave him.

The fourth spectator, D, takes all the coins remaining on the table and conceals them in his fist.

Finale: You turn around and reveal the number of coins held by D. Then you name which person has the one, the five and the ten.
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
I haven't changed anyone's opinion in
3623 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mystoffelees
The first time I ran into this great concept was in the "Giant Book of Card Tricks" by Bob Longe. Sadly, Penn and Teller exposed it as a coin trick in "how to play in traffic", I believe. It really plays well, except I stupidly tried it once with a group of teens and was rewarded with total blank looks.
Also known, when doing rope magic, as "Cordini"
Andy Moss
View Profile
Special user
713 Posts

Profile of Andy Moss
Jeff, yes adding up to a value (in monetary terms) is how I would also recommend that one does the effect. It is how I do it.As you say it distacts a little from any perceived use of bare 'numbers' maths.

Scott Cram, Re: Bob Farmer's 'Dollars and (sixth) sense routine'. Many thanks for the brief outline as to the effect. I have read it and when I have time I will try to recreate it and 'think around it'.My first impression is that it sounds totally impossible! It sounds like a very strong effect.I shall look further into it.

Mandarin, Penn and Teller are very talented as magicians (especially as masters of physical misdirection). However they are perhaps a little selfish. I guess they would answer that they have a living to make like everyone else.

With best wishes to you all. Andy.
trickytrav
View Profile
Veteran user
391 Posts

Profile of trickytrav
I too came across this in Bob Longes giant book of card tricks.Its called easy estimation and it fries.Never realised you could do it with coins though but now I'll be trying it.
Oscar999
View Profile
Elite user
401 Posts

Profile of Oscar999
The wrinkle you describe, Scott, in your outline of the Dollars and Sense effect, seems like a variant of the old "Pay Day" routine, found in the Jinx and of course in Practical Mental Effects. Sort of like a combination of the two, The Trick that Fooled Einstein and Pay Day COLLIDE ... What is your take on that?
Scott Cram
View Profile
Inner circle
2678 Posts

Profile of Scott Cram
Yep, that's exactly it. The two tricks work so perfectly together, it seems like a miracle!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magical equations » » The $2.75 cent math prediction trick (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL