The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Unethical? Amazing Irv's Handbook of Everyday Magic (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Steve Friedberg
View Profile
Inner circle
1401 Posts

Profile of Steve Friedberg
Indeed he did, MacGyver...in fact, he notes several additional pointers that many of the authors have given him.
Cheers,
Steve

"A trick does not fool the eyes, but fools the brain." -- John Mulholland
kermitthefrog
View Profile
Regular user
France
128 Posts

Profile of kermitthefrog
In that case, I am very happy to withdraw my comments about the Ammar tapes, and to confine my criticisms to ellusionist (which I am pretty sure did not obtain such permissions). My apologies to Michael Ammar for including him in such company!

KF
Ross W
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
1630 Posts

Profile of Ross W
Talking of Pat Page, Paul H mentions that he was expelled (I think from the Magic Circle, or maybe the IBM) after publishing his book "Pat Page's Big Book Of Magic" in the 70s.

This book was seminal in my magical interest. Jay Marshall had performed the linking rings on TV the night before; I was enthralled. Then, next day, I saw Pat's book in the local bookshop - and it described how to do the linking rings! I scraped together every Penny I had to buy it (I was 12) and it ignited a passion that still burns.

I was delighted to meet Pat a couple of years ago, and he autographed my 25 year-old, dog-eared copy!
Author.
Twitter: @rosswelford
www.rosswelford.com
Paul
View Profile
Inner circle
A good lecturer at your service!
4394 Posts

Profile of Paul
Quote:
On 2003-02-18 08:14, kermitthefrog wrote:

In that case, I am very happy to withdraw my comments about the Ammar tapes, and to confine my criticisms to ellusionist (which I am pretty sure did not obtain such permissions). My apologies to Michael Ammar for including him in such company!

KF

I believe it states on the tape packaging permission was asked of all originators still alive. But I know of at least one well known name who must have been assumed to have been dead!

Also regarding a book of the World's Best Card Tricks, didn't Bob Longe do one some years back? Smile

Information is now so readily available and yet some still ***** about having to pay for it! lol.

Paul.
Vilago
View Profile
Loyal user
230 Posts

Profile of Vilago
Speaking of magic books available to the public, how would you all feel about seeing the Tarbell set in the public library? Or Wilson's Course?

Would the donator be crossing the ethical line? I think most of us have read of well-known magicians who got started by finding an old copy of Tarbell in the Library.
Necromancer
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago
2987 Posts

Profile of Necromancer
Vilago, it's my opinion that if a beginner is willing to actively look for magic instruction by combing the stacks at his public library, then he deserves to find appropriate materials (be they "Magic For Dummies" or Tarbell).

But when a passive member of the public can accidentally encounter professional-grade magical secrets -- whether by innocently switching TV channels or meandering through a card shop -- then I think we run into some ethical difficulty.

Further, when those secrets are printed without credit to or permission of their creators (as in this particular case), then a whole extra dimension of problems is overlaid upon the situation.
Creator of The Xpert (20 PAGES of reviews!) and the Hands-Off Multiple ESP System ("Quality and design far exceed any ESP cards on the market"-Genii), both at Penguin.
Vilago
View Profile
Loyal user
230 Posts

Profile of Vilago
I agree with your points, and I like your clarification about users "actively" searching for info vs "passively" stumbling across it.

I asked about Tarbell being in the library because I've often considered donating a set, since my local library system has such junk that I think it would turn off potentially great practitioners.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Unethical? Amazing Irv's Handbook of Everyday Magic (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL