The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » Phenomenon » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..8..13..18..23..26~27~28~29~30..34..37..40..43..46..47~48~49 [Next]
WhateverUnique
View Profile
New user
100 Posts

Profile of WhateverUnique
Well...wasn't everyone saying nothing would be exsposed on the show? I pecifically heard the words 'PK touch' lisp out of criss angels mouth. Well now I guess we know exposure is in the cards...
How does that settle with everyone? I know many people were swearing it wouldn't happen.
magicdoctor
View Profile
Veteran user
Wi.
377 Posts

Profile of magicdoctor
I thought the show was boring.Hopefully it gets better as the weeks go on.Chris does'nt seem to fit the show either.
Michael Von Schroeder [url]www.vonmagic.com[/url]
WhateverUnique
View Profile
New user
100 Posts

Quote:
On 2007-10-24 19:27, Slim King wrote:
Is the NBC site OK? I'm having trouble getting on the forum there.

Hey no Slim, amazingly the NBC forum is slow...I and others I spoke with have had that issue....even before the show tonight. So now it's doomed....doomed I tell you. Maybe some of the lines have been burnt by all the fires.....No I'm not being an ass or trying to make jokes...seriously....Maybe....
Blindside785
View Profile
Inner circle
Olympia, WA
4541 Posts

Profile of Blindside785
Quote:
On 2007-10-24 21:20, WhateverUnique wrote:
Well...wasn't everyone saying nothing would be exsposed on the show? I pecifically heard the words 'PK touch' lisp out of criss angels mouth. Well now I guess we know exposure is in the cards...
How does that settle with everyone? I know many people were swearing it wouldn't happen.
If there is exposure for an effect used as largely as pk touch...let's just say there is going to be a lot of hate mail. A large group of people watch NBC.
HollyMental
View Profile
Elite user
OR
423 Posts

Profile of HollyMental
Sadly, the NBC affiliate in Portland decided not to air the show, opting instead to show a Trailblazers’ game. I’m very disappointed and wrote a letter of complaint. It looks like I won’t be able to watch the first installment. Furthermore, I won’t be able to vote. Smile

Holly
The devil can advocate for himself.
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18033 Posts

Profile of Slim King
He said PK T***h and B******k.
I'll google them like all of the other teenagers Smile
More later Smile
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Holly, I bet someone here can send you a video of the show.
WhateverUnique
View Profile
New user
100 Posts

Quote:
On 2007-10-24 21:26, Blindside785 wrote:
Quote:
On 2007-10-24 21:20, WhateverUnique wrote:
If there is exposure for an effect used as largely as pk touch...let's just say there is going to be a lot of hate mail. A large group of people watch NBC.

Well then I say let the hate mail fly...I'm sure he'll be exposing many more. I'm suprised he didn't mention the words 'book test'...
Gerry Hennessey
View Profile
Special user
852 Posts

Profile of Gerry Hennessey
Boring for the most part. Pity Luke Jermay didn't choose to participate. Now that would have been interesting.

Hennessey
"Every discipline effects every other discipline. You can't straighten out the corporation if your closet is a mess" Jim Rohn
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18033 Posts

Profile of Slim King
Before I've mentioned that the magic dealers will be the big winners. Criss Angel just pointed everyone with a computer to all of Mr. B's works.
I'm confused Smile
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
entity
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
5060 Posts

Profile of entity
Quote:
On 2007-10-24 21:29, Slim King wrote:
He said PK T***h and B******k.
I'll google them like all of the other teenagers Smile
More later Smile

Slim's right. Angel is a nit-wit.

If tonight's program is any example of the competition, it bodes well for Jim C.

- entity
mystic1
View Profile
Veteran user
342 Posts

Profile of mystic1
If the NBC forum is slow it is probably because many people likely tuned out within the first 20 minutes. Boring. Very little remarkable.

Ehud....weak start for the show...forgettable...

Madman...tepid, unfunny would-be comic....no danger or drama...name prediction lost in the mix....Ross the intern (of all people!) had more presence and charisma.

Raven...by far the most dramatic and credible (though I would have liked to have seen larger, more menacing nails).

Gerry....obviously NOT "T H E Mentalist".....poor choice of material...took focus off himself....and crack about lack of applause only called attention to its absence.

Most amazing thing about this show was 2 out of 3 frisbies Ross thew finding their way to one person !
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Jim should use the Outlaw Panther on the show. I am sure he would win that way.
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12059 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Perhaps Gerry will bounce back. I thought Eran did a great job. With Gerry having his own Vegas show, I am sure he will come back well. Jim should do well and Angela I am really excited to see her work. Looks like someone will be doing pulse stop.

As far as PK ******, it will take a little coin I believe for the curious to discover what it is plus he did it a bit different also.

JMO
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
I bet Larry Becker is going to start using nail guns now. Smile
bugjack
View Profile
Inner circle
New York, New York
1624 Posts

Profile of bugjack
I think it's kind of an odd show. I agree it was kind of boring. I'm not familiar with the Israeli version, but it seems to me that even if the audience "knows" it's all a trick; mentalism, unlike magic, requires some kind of presentation that real powers might be being used in order for it to play effectively. That assumption is certainly what was behind the little promo's the show did for each performer. But if that's the case, the very process of critiquing the performers undermines this assumption. If you think about it and just consider the odds, Gerry's performance was, at least mathematically, the most astounding. Yet he got dismissed because, yes, it was a little boring, but also because it didn't feel particularly original.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that by critiquing the performers on things other than the impossibility of their feats the show is stripping away the suspension of disbelief required to make mentalism resonate.

I thought it was interesting the Geller for most of his responses said how amazed he was while Angel basically took people to task. And, while I was reallly surprised by the mention of Banacek, it didn't bother me. For anyone other than someone into magic, those words flew by, and he didn't expose the trick -- he just pointed out what it was. How is that different than a magician being introduced as doing "cups and balls" and then doing it. Plenty of people can go to Wikipedia and figure out how that is done.

Like magic, mentalism is really in need of new plots. That's why Darren Brown is so great -- that and his fashioning of a persona that elides and confuses the line between trickery and "real powers." I guess I was surprised that the routines on the premiere episode weren't a little more creative.
ALEXANDRE
View Profile
Inner circle
3024 Posts

Profile of ALEXANDRE
I was with friends tonight. We gathered for some Chinese food and to watch the show.

They were bored. Cracking jokes throughout the show.

They all left completely uninterested in watching on Halloween.

I'll have to twist some arms....
bugjack
View Profile
Inner circle
New York, New York
1624 Posts

Profile of bugjack
Alexandre, what was your take on the show?
WhateverUnique
View Profile
New user
100 Posts

[quote]On 2007-10-24 21:50, bugjack wrote:
"" But if that's the case, the very process of critiquing the performers undermines this assumption. ""
"" And, while I was reallly surprised by the mention of Banacek, it didn't bother me. For anyone other than someone into magic, those words flew by, and he didn't expose the trick -- he just pointed out what it was. ""
[quote]
because those are one in the same. By criss even mentioning those words it give people the ability to disprove what the show is suppose to be about. If everyone at home just Chalks it up to another magic show....it will fall flat like all the rest. Everyone wants to belive....and NBC found a great way to make people wonder...the problem is they also have given them the silver bullet by allowing criss to lisp off at the mouth.
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
I bet David Blaine is at home with tears in his eyes because he was not chosen to be a judge.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » Phenomenon » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..8..13..18..23..26~27~28~29~30..34..37..40..43..46..47~48~49 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL