The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Inverters at Radio Shack, Kragen Auto, or Similar Brick & Mortar? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Ashkenazi the Pretty Good
View Profile
Veteran user
Northern California
363 Posts

Profile of Ashkenazi the Pretty Good
Hi Gang,

Need to buy one today or tomorrow am to power my Shure wireless & either one or two 30W, 117 Volt self-powered monitors. I'd put all three devices on a power strip, and plug it into the inverter.

Thanks for thinking about it!
------------

We could have been practicing!
mrunge
View Profile
Inner circle
Charleston, SC
3717 Posts

Profile of mrunge
Sounds like a plan! Good luck.

Mark.
View Profile
Veteran user
Northern California
363 Posts

Radio Shack doesn't have anything running off a big battery.

Sigh...
------------

View Profile
Veteran user
Northern California
363 Posts

So what I appear to need is called a "jump starter." Black & Decker makes one, as does "Motor Trend."

Built-in inverter.

With a little luck, I'll find one tomorrow morning.
------------

mrunge
View Profile
Inner circle
Charleston, SC
3717 Posts

Profile of mrunge
Check your local auto parts (Auto Zone, Pep Boys, etc...) store. They'll have them.

Mark.
Michael Messing
View Profile
Inner circle
Knoxville, TN
1800 Posts

Profile of Michael Messing
To avoid possible damage to your equipment from electronic noise, you should consider using a pure sine wave converter. These cost more than the modified sine wave converters that are easily found but the electricity they provide is "clean." There has been a lot of discussion about this in a photography forum I am a member of (they use them with studio flash units) and here is the one they recommend: http://www.web-tronics.com/30pusiwa12vd.html

Michael
g0thike
View Profile
Special user
722 Posts

Profile of g0thike
Pure Sine wave vs. modified square wave output...

Inverters are electronic devices that convert battery power into a form that mimics conventional grid power. Most models produce a modified square wave. This waveform allows home owners to run 98% of the typical loads in a house.

But switches, sensitive electronics occasionally some of these products will not work, or even fail, with modified square wave power. Some stereo equipment MAY have a slight hum or buzz with this type of inverter power.

Premium inverters produce a pure sine wave to imitate grid power. This eliminates background noise so that all electronics, work without problems. They are particularly suited for sensitive electronics found in some computers and higher quality sound equipment.
View Profile
Veteran user
Northern California
363 Posts

So neither of the product I mention (all-in-one) will do the job?

Thoughts? Data? Expertise? Funny stories?
------------

Michael Messing
View Profile
Inner circle
Knoxville, TN
1800 Posts

Profile of Michael Messing
ATPG,

You should probably should send a private message to g0thike. He knows much more about this than me. If you give him detailed information about the powered speakers you are using, it would probably help him advise you.

From what I understand, if you want to be absolutely sure that you won't damage your electronics, you use a pure sine wave inverter. On the other hand, I know there are some people using modified sine wave inverters with their equipment and they haven't reported problems.

Sorry I can't clear this up more. I will say that, if I buy an inverter for my sound and photographic needs, it will be the more expensive pure sine wave inverter. My equipment costs too much to take a chance with something less.

Michael
g0thike
View Profile
Special user
722 Posts

Profile of g0thike
ATPG,

With modified wave inverter some stereo equipment, wireless microphones MAY have a slight hum or annoying loud buzz. Look at the package and it will tell you if its modified wave.

If you want to risk it go ahead and buy one from radio shack or your local auto parts.

Also buy one that can exceed your watt draw. Also take into consideration that you might need a battery with a high Amp Per Hour rating, a marine or golf cart battery.

Some of the sites that sell inverters have small tutorials to educate you. Do a Search.

G0THIKE
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Inverters at Radio Shack, Kragen Auto, or Similar Brick & Mortar? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL