The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » 10 theories of magic (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
amazin
View Profile
New user
13 Posts

Profile of amazin
What are the 10 theories of magic?
shek
View Profile
Loyal user
Los Angeles, CA
244 Posts

Profile of shek
The 10 theories of magic consist of various ways to hype magic products Smile

No offense to T11 Smile
SoCalPro
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern California
1601 Posts

Profile of SoCalPro
What is the point of this thread?
Y2John
View Profile
Inner circle
1498 Posts

Profile of Y2John
I think the topic creator is just interested in knowing the 10 theories, though I'm not sure if this is the right section as they are hardly the latest and greatest...

But then what section would this belong in
Joshua Barrett
View Profile
Inner circle
Cincinnati, Ohio
3627 Posts

Profile of Joshua Barrett
Check tarbell vol 1....
emanmagic5
View Profile
Special user
Toronto, Canada
614 Posts

Profile of emanmagic5
Apperance
Vanish
Levitation
transformation
transportation
penetration
mentilism
restoration
attraction
escapes

Theory 11!
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27062 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Quote:
On 2007-10-01 10:18, amazin wrote:
What are the 10 theories of magic?

Where did you get the idea that there were ten theories of magic?
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Joshua Barrett
View Profile
Inner circle
Cincinnati, Ohio
3627 Posts

Profile of Joshua Barrett
It was some hype idea people had when T11 launched....
SorcerousRelic
View Profile
New user
Montclair, NJ
6 Posts

Profile of SorcerousRelic
Here is some information that will provide you with some insight on the ten theories of magic:

http://jourdanrombough.com/2011/the-ten-theories-of-magic

Enjoy Smile
MaxfieldsMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Instead of practicing, I made
2989 Posts

Profile of MaxfieldsMagic
The only real "theory" of magic you need, IMO, is "Do people find it entertaining? Does it amaze and baffle them?" If you say no to either of those questions, it's not magic, and there's no point in performing it as such.
Now appearing nightly in my basement.
Stellan
View Profile
Special user
Sweden
580 Posts

Profile of Stellan
Quote:
On 2011-10-21 09:58, MaxfieldsMagic wrote:
The only real "theory" of magic you need, IMO, is "Do people find it entertaining? Does it amaze and baffle them?" If you say no to either of those questions, it's not magic, and there's no point in performing it as such.

Statements like this are bad for magic and just reveal ignorance. It is better to encourage magicians to think deeper about the art.
"There is no reality, only perception."
Dan Bernier
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
2298 Posts

Profile of Dan Bernier
Quote:
On 2011-10-21 00:30, SorcerousRelic wrote:
Here is some information that will provide you with some insight on the ten theories of magic:

Enjoy Smile

Why only 10 theories? Why limit it, or the discussion? I think this can be good if we remove the limit, or preconcieved idea's on what magic theories are.

I'd love to hear more on gestures and postures when performing. I think this is vital for any performing magician. I am recently working on my hand movememnts and body language.

Just saying. Smile

Let's talk about as many theories as we can. What about theories on misdirection and audience control, etc.
"If you're going to walk in the rain, don't complain about getting wet!"
Stellan
View Profile
Special user
Sweden
580 Posts

Profile of Stellan
These are no theories. It is only a list of possible magic effects. A theory is something else.
"There is no reality, only perception."
MaxfieldsMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Instead of practicing, I made
2989 Posts

Profile of MaxfieldsMagic
Quote:
On 2011-10-21 10:37, Stellan wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-10-21 09:58, MaxfieldsMagic wrote:

Statements like this are bad for magic and just reveal ignorance. It is better to encourage magicians to think deeper about the art.

I've read plenty of magic theory and will continue to do so, but as far as the audience is concerned, I stand by the original statement.
Now appearing nightly in my basement.
SorcerousRelic
View Profile
New user
Montclair, NJ
6 Posts

Quote:
On 2011-10-21 11:15, Stellan wrote:
These are no theories. It is only a list of possible magic effects. A theory is something else.

Correct, these are magic effects. Did you get a chance to read the end of my blog on why these are ALSO theories? I also define what a theory is as well. read it when you get a chance Smile
SorcerousRelic
View Profile
New user
Montclair, NJ
6 Posts

Quote:
On 2011-10-21 11:00, Dan Bernier wrote:
Quote:

Enjoy Smile

Why only 10 theories? Why limit it, or the discussion? I think this can be good if we remove the limit, or preconcieved idea's on what magic theories are.

I'd love to hear more on gestures and postures when performing. I think this is vital for any performing magician. I am recently working on my hand movememnts and body language.

Just saying. Smile

Let's talk about as many theories as we can. What about theories on misdirection and audience control, etc.

@InnerCircle, wow, excellent point. Misdirection and audience control are HUGE! I think they are both an are that are used in acheiving all of the 10 theories. I love where this is going. I say no limit as well, lets really beak this down and explore it!
MeetMagicMike
View Profile
Inner circle
Gainesville Fl
3138 Posts

Profile of MeetMagicMike
Quote:

I don't care what that page says. Those are not "Theories". They are a list of 10 possible effects.

An adherent of this system might regard the whole concept as The Theory of Magic but those individual things are not theories. That is just stretching a definition too far.
Magic Mike

MeetMagicMike.com

I took the Pledge
slyhand
View Profile
Inner circle
Good ole Virginia
1889 Posts

Profile of slyhand
Not so sure about those ten effects as theories. Also not so sure those are the "Official" ten effects.

Seems like mentalism covers a boat load of effects... mind control, Identification, thought reading, thought transmission, prediction, etc...

What about adding Animation and Invulnerability to the list.
I am getting so tired of slitting the throats of people who say that I am a violent psychopath.

Alec
SorcerousRelic
View Profile
New user
Montclair, NJ
6 Posts

Added so far in this form are: Animation (Ex: cartoon deck) and Invulnerability (bending quarter, nail or spoon) by @slyhand and Misdirection and audience control by @DanBernier.

I know some disagree they are 'theories' but it does make a lot of sense to me that these are the theories that create magic. you can study and practice each theory to master the art of magic as a whole.

the original list is:

1.) Production:
Having something or someone appear. Variations include: producing cards from thin air, appearing Candle, Rabbit from a hat, etc.
2.) Vanish:
Making something or someone disappear. Variations include: vanishing card, vanishing coin, etc.
3.) Transportation:
Making something or someone relocate magically to another location. Variations include: A person disappearing and reappearing in a different location.
NOTE: Also referred to as Transposition.
4.) Transformation:
Causing something or someone to change appearance. Variations include: an orange changing into an apple, or an ace of spades turning into an ace of hearts.
5.) Multiplication:
Making something or someone appear repeatedly in succession. Variations include: a deck turning into all of the same card (a hybrid of #1 and #4, or multiplying balls between your fingertips.
NOTE: Also confused with Attraction, which is not a Theory of Magic but a Law of Science.
6.) Penetration:
Making something or someone pass through another person or object. Variations include coin through sealed soda can, etc.
7.) Restoration:
Restoring something or someone to its original condition after being cut, torn or broken apart. Variations include: torn and restored card or newspaper, or sawing a woman in half.
8.) Levitation:
Making something or someone float and move impossibly in mid-air. Variations include floating objects or people.
NOTE: Also known as suspension, which variations include: magical balancing (still the defiance of gravity) like when a person’s body is unevenly balanced, resting partially on a chair.
9.) Escapes:
When a person can magically escape an impossible situation usually with constraints. Houdini largely focused in this area.
10.) Mentalism:
A vast category in magic that involve mind power. Variations include: mind-reading, prediction, telekinesis, NLP, etc.

And what was added so far is:

Animation
Invulnerability
Misdirection
audience control

I am really interested in hearing everyone's thoughts as this appears to be such a debated issue in magic!
SorcerousRelic
View Profile
New user
Montclair, NJ
6 Posts

Quote:
On 2011-10-22 07:41, slyhand wrote:
Not so sure about those ten effects as theories. Also not so sure those are the "Official" ten effects.

Seems like mentalism covers a boat load of effects... mind control, Identification, thought reading, thought transmission, prediction, etc...

What about adding Animation and Invulnerability to the list.

Hey slyhand. did you mean: Animation (Ex: cartoon deck) and Invulnerability (bending quarter, nail or spoon)

If not, please include some examples
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » 10 theories of magic (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL