The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » The 10 theories of magic (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
amazin
View Profile
New user
13 Posts

Profile of amazin
I am wondering what are the 10 theories of magic
sethb
View Profile
Inner circle
The Jersey Shore
2719 Posts

Profile of sethb
I don't know exactly how many theories of magic there are, but if you read "Strong Magic" by Darwin Ortiz, you'll get a very good grounding in magic theory.

Click HERE for more info. SETH
"Watch the Professor!!" -- Al Flosso (1895-1976)
"The better you are, the closer they watch" -- Darwin Ortiz, STRONG MAGIC
magic_man_jim
View Profile
Regular user
118 Posts

Profile of magic_man_jim
There are quite a few theories in magic another recommendation is Book of Wonders by Tommy Wonder he is very good with magic theory!
Magic is not to fool...but allows you to believe!

Jim Boothe
www.jimboothemagic.com
jim@jimboothemagic.com
JamesTong
View Profile
Eternal Order
Malaysia
11213 Posts

Profile of JamesTong
I would like to include the Fritzkee Trilogy too.
pradell
View Profile
Special user
Alaska
560 Posts

Profile of pradell
Here's a link to an interesting article comparing the principles of magic to software design and citing magical resources fyi:

http://www.asktog.com/papers/magic.html

:magicrabbit:
mrunge
View Profile
Inner circle
Charleston, SC
3716 Posts

Profile of mrunge
I'd second the Fitzkee Trilogy.

Mark.
JackScratch
View Profile
Inner circle
2151 Posts

Profile of JackScratch
I am wondering where you came up with that number.
amazin
View Profile
New user
13 Posts

Profile of amazin
Thanks for the info folks
mrunge
View Profile
Inner circle
Charleston, SC
3716 Posts

Profile of mrunge
Glad to help. I'd suggest, if you're new to magic, getting Mark Wilson's "Complete Course In Magic" book. You can find it at most national chain bookstores for under $20. If not available, they can order it for you.

It will give you a taste of the many different styles and types of magic and discusses each. It's a fantastic, BIG, book and one you'll enjoy having in your own library.

Mark.
Nedim
View Profile
Elite user
istanbul/turkey
444 Posts

Profile of Nedim
Hi,

I like this theory. KÝSS. Keep Ýt Simple As Stupid.

magicially yours,

Nedim Guzel
Aus
View Profile
Special user
Australia
997 Posts

Profile of Aus
I think he might be refering to the 10 theories of magic that one of the magicians Mention brifly in explaning why theory11.com (the new site)chose the name that they did. He doesn’t explain them but simply says that the guys at theory 11 believe in one extra theory, hence theory 11, to see this look the site preview movie on the home page.

http://www.theory11.com

Magically

Aus
amazin
View Profile
New user
13 Posts

Profile of amazin
Yes this is where I came up with the number. I thought I should know 1-10 before worring about theory 11
Brad Burt
View Profile
Inner circle
2675 Posts

Profile of Brad Burt
I also would love to know how the number '10' was arrived at even with the explanation of the '11' site mentioned above?

Theory in what sense? I have written dozens and dozens of essays on magic theory touching on it from many differing directions. I am almost at a loss to imagine what anyone could mean by focusing it down to a specific number. For instance you could look at various theories having to do with 'marketing' yourself as a magician or what is basic to 'misdirection', etc.? What keeps me coming back to magic is the sheer complexity of the craft and it's attendant components.

That said, looking at it from a strictly semantic point what would be a theory of 'magic' as it pertains to the craft of conjuring? Let's look at one of the definitions of 'theory' that seems to pertain to the present discussion, or seems to most closely pertain as I understand the original question:

5. a particular conception or view of something to be done or of the method of doing it; a system of rules or principles.

The above seems to be what is being asked. I particularly like "...a particular conception or view of something to be done..."

And, so what we come to is...What is 'magic' as it pertains to the art or craft of conjuring? What is 'it' that we do when we perform? What in 'theory' are we doing?

Try this:

#1- We are creating the ILLUSION of being able to bend the Laws of Reality. This Illusion is created through the performers technical skill, belief in the illusion (which creates your body language conviction), and thirdly, the amount of credulity (or ready belief) of the audience.

That's what I came up with 30 years ago for the magic classes I was teaching. It was my attempt to give some realization to the 'what' we were attempting to teach and learn, etc.

What I would love is to see 9 more theories that do not in anyway partake of the above #1. In other words, if there are 10 theories of magic and the above is one of them then what are the other 9? If they lack any true distinctive then they will generally amount to no more than a restatement of #1. That's not to say that there could not be a MUCH better statement of the basis of what we do than I came up with! But, I've played with it for 30 years and I just could not come up with anything else that seemed to encapsulate and distill a description of the type of magic we practice as those who conjure.

Again, to get another '9' seems to me to demand that the basic heading of 'magic' then be broken down into sub sets and those sub sets described in theory. For instance: Misdirection, sleight-of-hand, Illusions (large), and so on.

Just because I have written all the above I fully expect for someone to pop up with a KILLER list of what the other 9 are!!! LOL Sincerest regards,
Brad Burt
Jay Austin
View Profile
Regular user
184 Posts

Profile of Jay Austin
Quote:
#1- We are creating the ILLUSION of being able to bend the Laws of Reality. This Illusion is created through the performers technical skill, belief in the illusion (which creates your body language conviction), and thirdly, the amount of credulity (or ready belief) of the audience.

That's what I came up with 30 years ago for the magic classes I was teaching. It was my attempt to give some realization to the 'what' we were attempting to teach and learn, etc.

What I would love is to see 9 more theories that do not in anyway partake of the above #1.

Ok the other 9 are...

Wait that one is related to the above...

Hmmm, so is that one...

Oh, heres one. Wait, it relates....

Ok, I give up.
Jay Austin

http://austin-computer-solutions.com/
Hire a tech, not a geek.
JackScratch
View Profile
Inner circle
2151 Posts

Profile of JackScratch
Entertainment is about creating a distraction from every day life for your audience, and perhaps enlightening them. To entertain well is to truly hold their attention for the time you are alloted.

You are an entertainer first, and by a large margin. That is everything any magician needs to know.
Andy the cardician
View Profile
Inner circle
A street named after my dad
3362 Posts

Profile of Andy the cardician
Quote:
On 2007-10-05 12:56, Brad Burt wrote:
I also would love to know how the number '10' was arrived at even with the explanation of the '11' site mentioned above?

Theory in what sense? I have written dozens and dozens of essays on magic theory touching on it from many differing directions. I am almost at a loss to imagine what anyone could mean by focusing it down to a specific number. For instance you could look at various theories having to do with 'marketing' yourself as a magician or what is basic to 'misdirection', etc.? What keeps me coming back to magic is the sheer complexity of the craft and it's attendant components.

That said, looking at it from a strictly semantic point what would be a theory of 'magic' as it pertains to the craft of conjuring? Let's look at one of the definitions of 'theory' that seems to pertain to the present discussion, or seems to most closely pertain as I understand the original question:

5. a particular conception or view of something to be done or of the method of doing it; a system of rules or principles.

The above seems to be what is being asked. I particularly like "...a particular conception or view of something to be done..."

And, so what we come to is...What is 'magic' as it pertains to the art or craft of conjuring? What is 'it' that we do when we perform? What in 'theory' are we doing?

Try this:

What I would love is to see 9 more theories that do not in anyway partake of the above #1. In other words, if there are 10 theories of magic and the above is one of them then what are the other 9? If they lack any true distinctive then they will generally amount to no more than a restatement of #1. That's not to say that there could not be a MUCH better statement of the basis of what we do than I came up with! But, I've played with it for 30 years and I just could not come up with anything else that seemed to encapsulate and distill a description of the type of magic we practice as those who conjure.

Again, to get another '9' seems to me to demand that the basic heading of 'magic' then be broken down into sub sets and those sub sets described in theory. For instance: Misdirection, sleight-of-hand, Illusions (large), and so on.

Just because I have written all the above I fully expect for someone to pop up with a KILLER list of what the other 9 are!!! LOL Sincerest regards,

Well said.

Let me add to it - we are magicians, not university professors that need to publish theories in order to survive.
Cards never lie
kosmoshiva
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
255 Posts

Profile of kosmoshiva
I would add Maskelyne's "Our Magic" to looking at theory, as well as Fitzkee and Sharpe.
Don't forget to breathe.
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
There is a theory of magic? Wow!

I'm new too. I started 46 years ago.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
djkuttdecks
View Profile
Special user
Portland
662 Posts

Profile of djkuttdecks
Quote:
On 2007-10-05 08:45, amazin wrote:
Yes this is where I came up with the number. I thought I should know 1-10 before worring about theory 11

Well, it was a cute little marketing plan for 11 guys to have a clever name and make another E like website. There are not 10 theory's of magic that I know of, just 11 guys and a web store... but now I know there's a bunch of starry eyed kids who think there are 10 other theory's now.
-DJ
SorcerousRelic
View Profile
New user
Montclair, NJ
6 Posts

Profile of SorcerousRelic
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » The 10 theories of magic (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL