The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Pricing in Rural areas (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
magicofCurtis
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
2545 Posts

Profile of magicofCurtis
Big Daddy

Double your fee and sell on your background you be surprise how many people will still hire you at $500 to $800 for a kid show...

One can sell on price
or one can sell on background and style....
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7396 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
I also remembered a similar thread in the past, so I dug it up for you:

Magic Café thread titled... Professional In Small Town

Some of the information might be helpful.

- Donald
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
ibm_usa
View Profile
Special user
In Your Mind, Ky, USA
722 Posts

Profile of ibm_usa
Thanks Don
"You may think that i only talk of things from the past, you know, history, well magic is history"

-Guy Jarrett

"Curiosity isn't a sin Harry, but it should be exorcised with great caution."

-Albus Dumbledore (Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire)
http://www.jordanallen-mentalist.webs.com/
nucinud
View Profile
Inner circle
New York, New York
1296 Posts

Profile of nucinud
It costs more than $55 to do the show. Counting prep time, paper work, marketing, liability insurance, rehearsal time, set up time, the cost of props, hat tears, slush powder, mouth coils, rope, cards, gas, etc. Not counting travel time and packing the car.

Almost forgot, 9 volt batteries for my mics and sound system accessories.

$55 is an insult!
"We are what we pretend to be" Kurt Vonnegut, jr.

Now U C It Now U Don't

Harry Mandel

www.mandelmagic.com
Bill Nuvo
View Profile
Inner circle
3094 Posts or
2747 Posts

Profile of Bill Nuvo
Quote:
On 2007-10-01 18:21, Jim Snack wrote:
Bill,

Yes, you get $24,000, but then you get health insurance, holiday pay, vacations, sick days, and retirement plans, which adds another 30%. Furthermore, when you are employed at a factory, the business pays the overhead so you don't have the expenses that a self-employed person has. Add that in and we are at that $45K figure very quickly.

Jim

Ah yes. I see where you are coming from now.
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7396 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
You haven't really said who suggested the $55 fee, but be careful it isn't some of your potential customers suggesting that. Some will pay you little, and some will pay you more, if you ask for it. Your job is to find those who will pay you what you ask, and then deliver value on what you are paid for.

Most of the time, inexperienced customers have no idea what a professional performer charges for their services.

I've even had some prospects who told me I charged too much, and should be charging less. Someone else gave me some perspective on that idea. One perspective is that they might not know any better. Or it could be that they want me, but don't want to pay more. Another possibility is because they were jealous of the fee I was asking (if they only knew how much experience and work goes into my 30-minute show!)

- Donald

P.S. I prefer to go by Donald, as opposed to Don. Thanks! Smile
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
SoCalPro
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern California
1601 Posts

Profile of SoCalPro
Ah yes... then theres the people who say..."You charge HOW MUCH?? My Doctor doesn't even charge that much". Smile
magicofCurtis
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
2545 Posts

Profile of magicofCurtis
"You charge HOW MUCH?? My Doctor doesn't even charge that much"

Becasue your doctor doesn't perform MAGIC!
Jim Snack
View Profile
Inner circle
1338 Posts

Profile of Jim Snack
Some people will respond with a great deal of surprise when one quotes a high fee.
When discussing your fee, it helps to prepare the listener properly. One way is to frame your quote in a value proposition to soften the blow. Another way is to soften it with a little humor. I read once that Lisa Menna, when asked what her fee is, prepares the listener by first asking, "Are you sitting down?"

Jim
Jim Snack

"Helping Magicians Succeed with Downloadable Resources"
www.success-in-magic.com
tboehnlein
View Profile
Inner circle
ohio
1778 Posts

Profile of tboehnlein
Wow I was just speaking to someone the other day about a gig, they didn't hesitate about my cost $250, a juggler just quoted them $400.
SoCalPro
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern California
1601 Posts

Profile of SoCalPro
I always tell them about my show first, then pop the performance fee in. They need to know what they are getting for their money.
ibm_usa
View Profile
Special user
In Your Mind, Ky, USA
722 Posts

Profile of ibm_usa
Good call.
"You may think that i only talk of things from the past, you know, history, well magic is history"

-Guy Jarrett

"Curiosity isn't a sin Harry, but it should be exorcised with great caution."

-Albus Dumbledore (Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire)
http://www.jordanallen-mentalist.webs.com/
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20035 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Couple things to consider. IF the prices are being balked at then you need to think about how and where you are generating your leads from.

I have to wonder if you are not happy with the prices people will pay, why you market yourself to that demographic in the first place.

Second of all if you are selling on price alone, expect a few things to happen. First of all you will be very busy talking to price shoppers and negotiating. Not a lot of fun if you ask me. Second of all expect to get a lower percentage of gigs. There is always someone cheaper.

Second your repeat business may not be as high, as they will always look for that bargain.

Why train people to bargain hunt in the first place? Why teach them that this seems an acceptable form of shopping?

So here is where I recomend Jim Snacks course. Read it then re read it and then impliment it.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
PatrickDonovan
View Profile
New user
Pennsylvania
38 Posts

Profile of PatrickDonovan
There is some very good information in this thread. I'll just echo what has already been said. If you have a show worth performing, it's worth more then $55. When I just started performing I charged at least $100 but it went up very quickly when I realized that was very cheap. I've performed in some very rural areas in PA and they had no problem paying what I would charge for a show in a larger city plus more traveling expenses.
mormonyoyoman
View Profile
Inner circle
I dug 5,000 postholes, but I have only
2439 Posts

Profile of mormonyoyoman
Quote:
On 2007-10-02 01:21, magicofCurtis wrote:
"You charge HOW MUCH?? My Doctor doesn't even charge that much"

Becasue your doctor doesn't perform MAGIC!

Nor does the doctor offer effective guarantees.

*jeep!
--Granpa Chet
#ShareGoodness #ldsconf
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14447 Posts

Profile of Review King
Quote:
On 2007-10-02 00:42, SoCalPro wrote:
Ah yes... then theres the people who say..."You charge HOW MUCH?? My Doctor doesn't even charge that much". Smile

"Oh, your children are entertained and come away with priceless memories when they go see your Doctor?"
:rotf:
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
tboehnlein
View Profile
Inner circle
ohio
1778 Posts

Profile of tboehnlein
Christopher that is priceless!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Pricing in Rural areas (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL