We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Johnson silver gaffs (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
ShawnB
View Profile
Special user
721 Posts

Profile of ShawnB
Quote:
On 2007-11-01 16:25, Salby wrote:

What is "Patina"?

Patina is the dark accumulation that occurs on coins (or cups) after a great deal of handeling.

Coins like Walkers Morgans or Barbers have a great deal of black patina. While copper coins turn more of a brown. Patina on old silver coins is absolutly beatiful.
It accumulates in all of the relife of the coin and gives it a nice aged look...
Shawn.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27088 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Patina is not the crud that accumulates but the subtle colors that go dark with age that form from oxidation on a clean surface. Wonderful rainbows and soft smudges of blue and voilet... Smile
...to all the coins I've dropped here
joseph
View Profile
Eternal Order
Please ignore my
17063 Posts

Profile of joseph
And here I thought it was the coach for Penn State football.. Smile ..
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Einstein)...
Jay Austin
View Profile
Regular user
184 Posts

Profile of Jay Austin
With the Magic Warehouse, if a coin set is out of stock, just keep calling back. I did get a hopping half set from them and am pleased with it. You can also send coins to Johnsons directly for them to be worked. Contact them at 626-445-1411. Not sure of the price for custom work though.
Jay Austin

http://austin-computer-solutions.com/
Hire a tech, not a geek.
h_A_Z
View Profile
Special user
Ireland/Msia
701 Posts

Profile of h_A_Z
Anyone purchased their Walkers C/S/B set? Any good?
rutabaga
View Profile
Inner circle
Toronto, Canada
1276 Posts

Profile of rutabaga
I have a set on the way... I'll let you know how it checks out.
rickmagic1
View Profile
Inner circle
MIddle Tennessee area
1533 Posts

Profile of rickmagic1
I would most heartily encourage anyone here...if you're doing some serious work on this, spend the bucks, go with the Schoolcraft stuff. If you're just an occasional hobbyist, go with the manufactured stuff (Johnsons, Tango, whatever). I've bought several pieces from Jamie, all of it's beautiful craftsmanship and fits perfectly with what I'm doing as a performer.

Rick
Richard Green
The Modern Conjurer
Host of the Haunted Magic show at House of Cards Nashville!
rutabaga
View Profile
Inner circle
Toronto, Canada
1276 Posts

Profile of rutabaga
Well, I received the Johnson Walking Liberty CSB set, and it's not bad at all. The Centavo and Chinese Coin are a little on the thick side, but nothing disturbing. I'm very impressed with the fit of the shell. The half dollar comes tails up, and you'll need to find your own regular half to match. All in all it's a decent set.

But I agree with Rick, if you're more serious than I am [for now anyway!], go the for Schoolcraft or Lassen. Their coins are SO much nicer than the Centavo/Chinese Johnson combo.
h_A_Z
View Profile
Special user
Ireland/Msia
701 Posts

Profile of h_A_Z
Thanks for the review rutabaga. I actually have a set made by Auke van Dokkum in Walkers, East African and Peruvian coin but I find the gimmick a little thick (compared to my Johnsons set) and the edges kinda bug me. There's millings on the gimmick (obviously) but there are non on the normal East African coin. I was caught a few times with ppl noticing that the millings "disappear" when I allow them to examine the coins in the end (I use Cody Fisher's routine btw)
rutabaga
View Profile
Inner circle
Toronto, Canada
1276 Posts

Profile of rutabaga
You'll find a similar milling issue with the Johnson set...
h_A_Z
View Profile
Special user
Ireland/Msia
701 Posts

Profile of h_A_Z
Yes I know but the thickness of the gaff is more prominent with the custom set as compared to the Johnson's set which will amplify the visibility of the millings. Maybe it was just my set I dunno.
rutabaga
View Profile
Inner circle
Toronto, Canada
1276 Posts

Profile of rutabaga
Hmmm, I tried out the routine that comes with the Johnson set tonight, and the milling difference was spotted by the spectator. Luckily the routine "confesses" to the extra coins, so it was just a case of "did you know your two chinese coins have different edges?" Makes me wonder about routines where the extra's aren't shown [Dan Watkins' CSB Assault comes to mind]. Anyone else have a problem with this?

How are the Lassen/Schoolcraft sets in this regard?
Dan Watkins
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
3027 Posts

Profile of Dan Watkins
If spectator's are allowed to get a good solid look at the edge, there is a chance of them catching the two tone edge.

This is why I never do either the original rotuine (or some of mine) with the dollar size sets. I only use the dollar size for spellbound type shows where you only show the face of the coins.

CSB Assault is performed with the spec looking down on half dollar size coins, I haven't had any problems with it.
Click to visit:
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Johnson silver gaffs (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL