The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Where to put it all... » » Cleaning close up pads... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
rowdymagi5
View Profile
Inner circle
Virginia
3140 Posts

Profile of rowdymagi5
What do you guys do to keep your close up pads clean? Mine always looks like heck!
Stanyon
View Profile
Inner circle
Landrum, S.C. by way of Chicago
3402 Posts

Profile of Stanyon
Shake, brush, clean with mild soap and water (if it is of the synthetic variety)...Don't use it as a place mat!

Cheers!
Stanyon

aka Steve Taylor

"Every move a move!"

"If you've enjoyed my performance half as much as I've enjoyed performing for you, then you've enjoyed it twice as much as me!"
Mya Angel
View Profile
Special Assistant
California
1397 Posts

Profile of Mya Angel
Or let your wife use it as a mouse pad.

Smile
There is nothing that remains so constant as change. Don't end up like concrete, all mixed up and permanently set. Smile

He who slings mud will surely lose ground.
Mark Martinez
View Profile
Inner circle
Wisconsin
1280 Posts

Profile of Mark Martinez
The thing I started doing that makes the biggest difference for me is covering my close-up pad when not in use. This keeps dust off the pad. Yes I know you can clean the dust off with a roll of tape but if you keep the dust off it to start with you don't have to clean it.

Besides dust, when needed I take my pad and wash it with soap and water to get out any other mess that might get on the pad (spilled soda).
Magically,
Mark

Success comes before work only in the dictionary. - Anonymous
Daniel Faith
View Profile
Inner circle
Neenah, Wisconsin
1526 Posts

Profile of Daniel Faith
I find a Billiard table brush works great.
I only use soap and water if it is absolutely necessary.
Daniel Faith
Monte
View Profile
New user
82 Posts

Profile of Monte
Laundry spray works like a gem. It removes all those dirt marks left by the kids that stomp all over it. Smile
Monte, as in the 3 cards.
Donny Orbit
View Profile
Special user
944 Posts

Profile of Donny Orbit
If mine is clean but has a lot of fuzz on it, I found duck tape works really well to get the fuzz off.

XX
do magic

www.8bom.net
Steve Brooks
View Profile
Founder / Manager
Northern California - United States
4732 Posts

Profile of Steve Brooks
I use a Pet Roller, the kind designed to remove hair from your clothes, works like a charm. I keep one in my close-up case at all times. Also comes in handy when wifes use your mat for a mousepad. I won't name any names, but... Smile
"Always be you because nobody else can" - Steve Brooks
GaryW
View Profile
Veteran user
HSMagic
317 Posts

Profile of GaryW
I made my own close up pad/table and found the best way to keep it clean it the lint roller that Steve mentioned or a "lint shaver" if it starts to look shaggy. The surface of mine is a simple black velvet.
Gary Ailes
Hot Shot Magic
www.hotshotmagic.com
magicandmore
View Profile
New user
8 Posts

Profile of magicandmore
I agree with Steve. A lint roller is the way to go. 3M manufactures them; and they can be found at almost any big box housewares store like Linens N' Things; and quite a few supermarkets.

And the best part is, they only cost $4-5 a new pad would run you $10-15.
D. Patrick Thomas - Magic & More
1-877-MAGIC-10 x5051
dpt@magic-more.com

www.magic-more.com
magicmonkeyphoto
View Profile
Regular user
149 Posts

Profile of magicmonkeyphoto
Another bar magician suggested to me to by a spray can of "Scotchguard" as soon as you get your pad. I think you can get that stuff at Target or any place like that. You spray it on, and then it becomes much easier to clean later on. Also, I keep my pad secured inside the lid of my close up case, and laid flat. That way no dust gets on it.

Lincoln
http://www.lincolnworld.com/products -- For high end mentalist utility devices, ideas, and props for professionals and serious hobbyists. You can follow me on Instagram @Lincolnworldmagic and on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/LincolnWorldWatchers
paulajayne
View Profile
Inner circle
London England
1160 Posts

Profile of paulajayne
Hi, I use mouse mats. They are cheap and easy to get hold of. If it gets dirty then throw it away.

Presentation is everything - we don't do magic with dirty hands so why with a dirty pad.

Paula
Paula Jay - Magic to Remember -
---------------------------------
I once wrote a book on elephants, I think paper would have been better.
----
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11161 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
I remember seeing a brilliant magician build his "for magician's only" act around a very subtle obsessive-compulsive picking of lint from his pad. It took awhile for the joke to set in, and it was hilarious!
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20498 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
That wasn't Billy McComb actively wool gathering?

Bob
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
zur
View Profile
Special user
California
671 Posts

Profile of zur
Need those lint rollers you can get everywhere.
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20498 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
For spots and stains use foam auto uphostery cleaner. Many close up pads are only auto headliner anyway!

Bob
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
dearwiseone
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
1143 Posts

Profile of dearwiseone
Get Trevor Duffy's close up pads and you just throw them in the wash! The easiest to clean, by far!
Magicusa
View Profile
Elite user
478 Posts

Profile of Magicusa
I use a Pet Roller too.
Rik Taylor
View Profile
New user
Delaware
58 Posts

Profile of Rik Taylor
As stated earlier, Trevor Duffy's close up pads are WASH and WORK. And come out very nicely.
...less is not more, less is less you have to carry, more or less...
PyroJeffNic
View Profile
Regular user
Alberta, Canada
161 Posts

Profile of PyroJeffNic
I have used many items
Pet Brushes work well... and Soap faded my close-up pad but I would by far recomend going to the dollar store and picking up a lint brush for a dollar. Cheap AND effective
retrostylemagic
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Where to put it all... » » Cleaning close up pads... (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL